Need some purchase help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Need some purchase help

Alright folks. I realize this is a d-90 forum and I am here because I do own a d-90. That being said I am basically in agreement to purchase a discovery for my wife that is in another city. The truck has low miles and sounds like it has been maintained adaquately. Here is my question. I am a novice mechanic but I am learning and am not afraid to look around and engine and sniff out stuff. I will not have access to a computer to plug into the truck and look for trouble codes. I know how a clean vehicle should drive and I know how to look for body work. That being said is there something specific inside the engine to look at and see if I am buying a truck with a problematic future for us? Any seals, Joints or hoses I should be extra carefull to check out? Thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Have someone from here, in that city check it out for you.

Then take it to a shop and have it inspected and put on a computer. This will also give you bargaining room with the seller.

People have removed bulbs from the three amigos on discos. (ABS, Check eng and one other).

If you do it yourself, just be thorough and don't forget about looking for rust.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Anyone have a good experience with an extended warranty group they would recommend? Thanks for the rust warning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what year how many miles how many owners?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Yeah.. need more info on what year, and what not..

96- I believe has a code box which will tell you the code
96+ D1 works on standard OBD2
99+ D2 the only thing you need a computer for is the ABS, and there is after-market solutions for that (abs amigo).

Disco is straightforward working on... everything can be done with a standard set of metric tools and a few specialty tools here and there...
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
imeek
Isaac
Red 94 D-90 (SOLD)

What city is the Discovery in?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

My Advice...go out there and look at it yourself. I bought my G4 truck without seeing it myself and still curse myself for that. I had previously bought my other Disco site unseen from Dallas, TX and it was and still is perfect, hence my willingness to buy the G4 the same way. Let's just say I got lucky the first time.

I even had a member from Discoweb check it out and had an indy shop do a check on it. Apparently they all missed an f'd up tcase, leaking water pump and a few other small items. Basically cost me a few thousand more to fix the truck up and I'm sure since it's a rover there will be more to fix...I thought I was getting a deal on the truck but I forgot that there is never really a deal on LRs...

So, unless the truck is only gonna cost you a few bucks, fly out and take a look. Each person has his own standards. So if you want something done right...

Good Luck.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Kinda need to know the year. I have an 03. Can tell you a bit about it.
And I love you too
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I had an 03 dII. Needed two shortblocks under warranty... Slipped sleeve. Call Robison service....that's where I bought my waranty. Glad I had it. I havE heard the 03 had some sleeve issues.J
My 2cents

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions