Need some opinions/options for rear components - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 28th, 2011, 10:32 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Need some opinions/options for rear components

Ok, the short of the story is that I got rear-ended at low speed by a Ford Explorer and the D90 sustains minor damage to the rear end. So far we know that:
- the rear step bumper has scratch marks (does not appear bent)
- the tire carrier was bent (the "main" component that holds the tire), every other part looks straight
- the rear door got a ding from the tire carrier hitting it
- the rear X-member does not appear bent/twisted/etc. (but we will only know for sure when the body shop takes it all apart of course)

So, I guess I have a few options now [please note: I'm not doing any work on that one, I should not have repainted all that stuff with POR-15 last year....]:
- repair above components (likely not cost efficient).
- replace with the same (new or used) parts.
- replace with aftermarket parts.

I started doing some research on aftermarket parts and the list is very extensive.... so, I'd like to get first hand experience/feedback from you guys.
-> I like the rear step bumper functionality, 2" receiver is a must have (I attach my winch to it)
-> I like the tire carrier and I only have 33" tires, works great on a soft-top/sustain the weight of the wheel very well (I did not have any rattle like a bunch here have experienced; door hinges needed to be tightened, I guess that'll be a good time to do it)
-> I'd like to stay in the same ballpark as "replacement" because the insurance is unlikely to pay more, but if a few dollars give me major improvement....

Since it'll be at the shop, I plan to get the door hinges and windshield "attachments" repainted as well, is that a stupid/useless move?

Thanks!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2011, 10:55 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Sounds like the only thing you need is te tire carrier main piece. Not so hard to get. Not easy but put a wanted ad up. I am sure a hoarder or two will sell you one.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I actually think that piece is even avail new from Rover North (~$850). I did not call them to confirm.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions