Need some opinions/options for rear components
Ok, the short of the story is that I got rear-ended at low speed by a Ford Explorer and the D90 sustains minor damage to the rear end. So far we know that:
- the rear step bumper has scratch marks (does not appear bent)
- the tire carrier was bent (the "main" component that holds the tire), every other part looks straight
- the rear door got a ding from the tire carrier hitting it
- the rear X-member does not appear bent/twisted/etc. (but we will only know for sure when the body shop takes it all apart of course)
So, I guess I have a few options now [please note: I'm not doing any work on that one, I should not have repainted all that stuff with POR-15 last year....]:
- repair above components (likely not cost efficient).
- replace with the same (new or used) parts.
- replace with aftermarket parts.
I started doing some research on aftermarket parts and the list is very extensive.... so, I'd like to get first hand experience/feedback from you guys.
-> I like the rear step bumper functionality, 2" receiver is a must have (I attach my winch to it)
-> I like the tire carrier and I only have 33" tires, works great on a soft-top/sustain the weight of the wheel very well (I did not have any rattle like a bunch here have experienced; door hinges needed to be tightened, I guess that'll be a good time to do it)
-> I'd like to stay in the same ballpark as "replacement" because the insurance is unlikely to pay more, but if a few dollars give me major improvement....
Since it'll be at the shop, I plan to get the door hinges and windshield "attachments" repainted as well, is that a stupid/useless move?
Originally Posted by Daddymow
I have an ex MoD and an ex wife. The two no longer conflict with each other.
Originally Posted by ron
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )