need some help here !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2006, 11:53 PM
Rover- Girl

need some help here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I engaged the Dif/lock..and now I can't seem to desingage !!???? The light stay's on !!!!!!!!!
Help , please...................;Thx Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:25 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

just try a quick knock into reverse for about 10 feet or so with the lever shifted over to unlocked. Usually unbinds everything and lets it fall into proper place.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:34 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Christine,

This sometimes happens when the system has not been engaged in a while. The most common fix I have seen in such situations where the system has simply not been engaged in a while is to place the vehicle in reverse, drive about 10 feet, and then try to disconnect again. If that does not work, and the knob is actually stuck in the diff lock or low position, try to disengage while the vehicle is rolling forward under 5 mph. This usually works. Do not be too rough with the knob, but then again a moderate amount of force is sometimes necessary. Do not be surprised if the system makes a major "clunking" noise when it finally disengages.

Another common problem I have seen is the light staying on but the diff lock system is really not engaged. This is a result of the design of the electrical switch that turns the light on the dash off and on. Again, the most common fix I have successfully used for this is to simply place the vehicle in reverse and drive backwards for about 10 feet.

Let us know if the problem is beyond these basic fixes....

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:57 AM
Rover- Girl

Hans............. WOW ...You da man..

I went outside and riped this puppy in reverse, it made the people next door come out,,,
I skided the tires..oops and just like you said...the light went out..wow !!
Youre my hero...... THANKS !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Hans !!!

Follow-up Post:

Thanks ,Hans and Michael,,,,
Guess I still have lots to learn..wow,
now That I know The truck is allright and I didn't mess anything up
I feel alot better....
i was stuck,,,I went to first gear, revearse and so on...and than
it dawned on me...I grabed the dif lock...riped it in second...
hell, I don't remember...but It moved me out of 3 feet off sand... like that !!
I actually went back to see the hole I had made....WOW !!
Like I said.....I have lots to learn abaut this awsome mashine....thanks for youre help!
Big hug.... Christine
Old January 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Glad to help out. The whole reverse thing is one of those hand-me-down bits of advice that really isn't covered in the manuals, but is generally the best fix.

What happens is that the gears in the transfer case start to push against each other, and don't leave any wiggle room for things to rotate and slip into place when you try to unlock it. You either have to have everything perfectly lined up, or unbind the gears by backing up a bit.

Sometimes you may have the same problem getting things locked up in the first place, again you'll find that reverse is your best friend. But that is a lot more rare than having trouble unlocking.... which is pretty common on ALL 4x4's with locking transfer cases.

-hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:08 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

It's in my 93 NAS 110 manual.

Doug W.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

P. 50 of the 97 D-90 owner's manual discusses placing the vehicle in reverse to disengage the difflock system. I suspect the 94 manual contains the same advice, especially since the 93 D-110 one does. Just an observation....

If you are unfamiliar with how to operate this system it might be worth taking the time to have someone who understands its proper operation show you exactly how to use it. Believe it or not, the factory owner's manual has a pretty good description of the matter as well.

The most important two issues that I can think of, in addition to the reverse trick, are as follows:

1. Always check twice once you are done off road to make sure the diff lock and "low" range are no longer engaged. In other words, you should be in "H" without the diff lock engaged when driving on solid ground. Failure to place the system back into the "unlocked" mode and "H" can result in damage to the transfer case if you drive that way for very long on the regular pavement.

2. Often the system will not fully engage while the vehicle is stopped and it will pop out of gear into neutral. The best way to overcome this problem is to engage the system while the vehicle is coasting forward at a very low speed (I believe the manual says under 5 mph). And, as you already discovered, this is a good technique for disengaging the system as well. Just don't step on it too hard....

Michael

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions