Need some HELP!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:15 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Unhappy Need some HELP!!!

Went to start my D-90 tonight & well, it will not kick over, it gives the sound that it would like to but no go???

Just thought I would try & see if someone here (on the forum) could help, well give me a good direction, I'm not very savvy when it comes to auto mechanic stuff...

I'm also a bit lost in locating a good, reliable auto repair service, new to the area, well relatively new, new to Philadelphia with this type of truck!!!

So if any one can help it would be greatly appreciated, my truck is stuck in the Northeast Philadelphia, it gives the impression that it's going to start but doesn't, we just had some bad weather, a bit of snow & now rain, not that bad weather means anything but could the rain cause something to not work???

HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:21 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Question Is it a soft top or a station wagon?

If it's a soft top, they are known to have a rough start during cold/wet/rainy days. The ECU is poorly placed on the bulkhead, just in front of the passenger footwell and water is known to drip there through the vents and A pillar when left parked outside on a rainy day. Dry it out and you should be okay. Welcome to the joys of D90 ownership...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:25 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I had a 95 wagon and had a similar problem. it was the fuel pump relay. THe relay is located on the driversside of the passenger side seat box near the back. I have talked to a few SW owners that have had this problem so maybe this will help you. I dont know anything about a softtop. I was able to get my relays from NAPA, I remember I bought 2 for what Atlantic British wanted for one and they were the same relays that AB had. good luck
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

It's a ST & yes I do get a bit of water through the vents from time to time, need to replace them, which replacing them is on my list...

Getting to the ECU, which you stated is located in front of the passenger footwell, do I access it from the inside of the cab or outside of the cap by means of under the hood???

& as for the "joy of owernship", there's nothing quite like it!!!
Old February 4th, 2004, 01:10 AM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

If your d-90 is a late model 1995 the ecu is located under the passenger seat in the cubby.
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

It's a late D-90, is it some what brown in color???

How would this get wet???

I've yet to start the "big boy" this morning, hoping it will start???
Old February 4th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Well, "no go"!!!

It attempts to start but want...

Glenn/Thomas, the cubby box under the passenger seat is dry, no signs of water at all, not sure how to open but it appears to be dry???

Had several individuals try & start it just to get some opinions, this is what I get:
not getting gas / plugs
something with the starter / alternator
battery

I do know it's not the battery, all the lights, radio & what knots are getting power...

Phillip, what's the location of the fuel pump relay & do you have the part number from NAPA???

"O" & thanks for your help guys!!!
Old February 4th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Any 30 amp relay should work, in a pinch use your headlight relay. Not sure on the location of the relay, I think it is next to the ECU. If its turning at normal speed when trying to start its not the Batt or the starter. Try pulling all the connectors off the plugs and cap and look for corrosion or water do them 1 at a time so you don't accidentally mess up the order (don't ask). Check your fuel pump fuse in addition to the relay.
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I just took it to NApa and said get me one just like this and they did. the relay is inthe passenger side seat box near the rear on the side of the seat box closest to the driver side. its a little well in my case was a little silver "thing" shaped like a cube

can you hear your fuel pump when you start the truck. lets see. when you turn your key (trying to remember since my truck is at home) if you turn your key all the way to the position right before you start you should be able to hear the fuel pump turn on. kinda hum. If you can hear the fuel pump I would def try the relays
Old February 4th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

I located the relay(s) in the small cubby box under the passenger seat but I have 2 relay(s), one attached to a "blue" plug & one attached to a "black" plug, not sure what is what???

I'm also going to try the "plug" idea as well but would like to know what relay is what, any idea Phillip???

"O" I do get the "HUM" just before you engage the turn over process, it last for about second or a second & a half???
Old February 4th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Not sure being a 94 guy but I think one is for the Fuel pump and the other is for the ECU????
Old February 4th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

"OK"!!! my hat is off to Phillip!!!

Though replacing it did not work it did lead me to getting it started...

"Help me" on this if you can???
1) got a new relay (could only get one)
2) replace one & put an old one back on
3) turned the key, sounded as if it was go to but no go, got an odd sound from the (I think) the ECU box, tried again, same thing
4) replaced the new with the old & left the old other one on, "truck" started with no problem but sounded ruff but started

So, still have no idea what is going on???

Also, I got a code of "03" on the RR on Board Diagnostic Display, what's code "03" or does anyone know a place to find the meaning of codes???

Once again, thanks everyone for helping out!!!
Old February 4th, 2004, 04:25 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Here's a link to the OBD I fault codes (http://www.lrfaq.org/Defender/FAQ.En...ult.Codes.html). I 'm not sure if yours is a OBDI or OBDII system.

DJ
Old February 4th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

From the F.A.Q. section here http://www.defendersource.com/faq/En...ult.html#Codes

OBD error code #3 means "memory interruption" in the computer. It can be caused by water (if anyone remembers the VT trip) or an electrical surge from the "thingie" that sends electrical current to the distributor

I would reset the ECU and see if the code comes back. Allot of the time something screwy will set off a code if the engine has not been running for a while or if the battery has been disconnected for a while. It has happened to me more then once.
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yep I think if you have replace those relays and its still being wierd its ECU. GLad you were able to get it running tho
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

I would say the code is due to me disconnecting the relays (both)...

Not sure on the OBDI or the OBDII, it could be a gizzmoe from "StarWars"???

I just would like to thank everyone of you guys for your "HELP" & I will rest the "Coder" & if it comes back will let you guys know...

Once again thanks!!!
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:33 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
opps.
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:01 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

Weldon-
If you determine it to be the ECU, and you have the same luck I had trying to locate one, and It appears as there are no replacements available for a 1995 D-90, new, rebuilt, or salvaged... the good news is, I have been told, A 1995 Discovery ECU can be used if you install the d-90 prom. -both have the 3.9 engine. Much good luck to you.
Old February 5th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Thomas, not sure if it was the ECU or the relay(s), I strongly think it was due to moisture, I'm still using the old relay(s), I unplugged them to carry them with me to find new ones then replugged them & it started, it was a bit ruff at first but after driving it, it went back to it's same old self...

The truck appears to be running fine for now & if it's the ECU then I will look into the ECU for a "95" Disccovery & the install of a D-90 prom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions