need POE bracket measurements - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

need POE bracket measurements

I'm trying to convert my soft top to a Port of Entry hardtop configuration but the upper hinge brackets for the rear liftgate are no longer available...can anyone send me some measurements of theirs? or, do you have one I could measure or buy? two pix enclosed for clarity...
thanks
George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HrdtpBrckt1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	6825   Click image for larger version

Name:	HrdtpBrckt2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	6826  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

You can make all the stuff from a Series II/SIIA Rover with a lift gate work. That is how I installed the liftgate on ECR4.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

I went through some difficulty in trying to find out what the upper bracket looks like on a Series truck...will it work with the hinge you see pictured? I do have those and need to make whatever I get work with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2006, 03:19 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The hinge (large u shaped thingy) is the same part POE to 1960s Series truck.
The bracket that bolts to the roof on a POE is different than a Series rig, but both will work. A little shaping and the Series Rover one will rivet right in, or you can make a simple corss bolt bracket just like the POE unit.
The set up I used was a 1960s Series liftgate with 1960s hardware and some gas struts from NAPA.
Then added a small steel piece at the bottom of the liftegate to have a seal surtface between the tailgate and the liftagte.
I made the glass bigger though to match the side galss and give a better rear view.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/ECR4top.html

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 03:23 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I did a very similar thing a while back. Got the parts from Canada off a parts series truck... the hinge brackets needed a little choppling to make fit properly but it was really easy.. then as mike said rivit in and you have a liftgate.

One thing that was tricky was getting the spacing for the seal right. But it was not that big of a deal, just took some planning... good luck!!
Old September 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Thanks guys...much appreciated!
George
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

I'm still trying to mount my liftgate and would still love to get these measurements or a clear explanation of how to use the series hinge brackets so am bumping this back up...
George
Old November 12th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Got it mounted...took a guess as to what to cut away on the bracket and it works...
thanks all.
George
Old November 12th, 2006, 02:44 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

George,
Where did you find the brackets themselves? and would you post pictures of what you did/description of it.
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Christian,
I got the brackets from Rovers North...I'm attaching two pix to show the cuts I decided to make on the brackets...once cut like this and excess metal bent out of the way (too lazy to cut and trim!) they slide right in...there is a right and left to the brackets...I bolted the hinges to the rear door first then hung the door on the lip of the upper edge of the opening and made sure it was centered...then I marked where the hinges lined up left and right...then I positioned the brackets, marked the rivet holes...drilled and riveted in place...the pins for the brackets (must be ordered as they don't come with the brackets are weird...one of them was too big so dry test em first...also see 3rd pic of completed do-it-yourself POE liftgated soft top to hard top conversion...man it was cold without that liftgate...I really prefer the liftgate idea to a door because you can drive with lumber sticking out the back with the liftgate open...also great rain shield while standing out in weather...any more questions let me know
George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sidebrckt.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	7365   Click image for larger version

Name:	backbrckt.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	7366  

Name:	D90Back.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	7367  
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

George,
Can you post pictures of the full installation? I am really interested in doing the same thing as you. Do you need to drill any holes in the bed or the windshield to mount the top?
Also, do you have to remove the rear section of the roll cage?
Sorry for the ignorance, but Ive never seen a POE
thanks
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Kris,
All you have to do is remove all of the front and interior roll cages...T45 and T50 torx bits...then there is an aluminum plate on top of the windscreen which has 6 (I think) phillips head 6mm screws holding it in...replace these phillips head things with hex head 6mm bolts (1" should do fine) there are nutserts in there...this bolts the top to the windscreen...on my 95 there were nutserts in the top edge of the rear tub...I did a prelim set up with the sides and measured where the nutsert holes were and drill through the bottom edge of the side panels...then tentatively loosely mounted the sides onto the rear tub...mounted the top loosely and then kind of forced everything to line up...don't forget there are rubber seals between the sides and the tub, the sides and the top and the fron of the top and the windscreen...when all looks good, tighten down and you're done except for mounting the rear liftgate...I would have mounted the station wagen front cage but the one I bought was bent and unusable so am running without it. My original ex-MOD soft top which I converted to hard top was run without a roll cage too...
George
ps
just to be clear, you do not need to drill holes into the rear bed/tub or windshield...just into the hardtop sides. I used 1/4-20 bolts/nuts to bolt the top to the sides. the rear tub nutserts take 6mm bolts...I used 2" long ones. and further clarification the rear roll cage is totally not usable with the Euro spec hard top.
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:54 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

The POE top is actually easy to put on with two people. Ron and I put my POE top on, and tightened it down so it would stay on for my 2 hour drive home. later that week i took the time to take it off again and wash it out and i put a seal on the windshield and then drilled two holes right under where the top of the seatbeat hooks in. 1 hole on each side of the tub. there are these brackets that pull the top down for a snug fit to the tub. other that that those were the only two holes. I also got 6 #6 metric bolts about an inch long and stacked about 3 washers on them and bolts the front of the top to the windshield. you need these 3 washers to insure that you can get a wrench in there to get them undone later when you want the top off. trust me its a tight fit if you dont!!!

I do wish my tailgate matched up better with the rear window. I have about a 1/4 gap between them. but other than that i love my POE top

George do you have this gap there too? I cut a door seal and put it on the window side of the top so that my gap is a bit smaller. is there anyway to close it up to "seal" it?
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:18 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm not sure how the liftgate is configured, but the f-glass lift gate has a flange along its bottom edge that prevents the liftgate from opening when the tailgate is closed. A piece of weatherstripping attaches to this flange and presses against the top of the inside face of the tailgate creating a seal. It would seem a simple matter to take an L-shaped piece of aluminum and screw it to the bottom of the POE liftgate to replicate this flange, then attach a piece of weather stripping to the flange and be all set up.
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

That flange thing is exactly what I will do with the gap...haven't had a chance yet. But, I sure do love the hardtop...quiet and far less breezy!
George
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Forgive my misunderstanding with this, but with a traditional series liftgate with all the parts, does the liftgate with the T handle keep the tailgate closed so that you open the liftgate first then the tailgate? Or do they operate independently? I sort of like the idea of having the lock with the T handle and opening the liftgate then the tailgate. If this is the case is there a seal/flange on the outside of the liftgate that keeps the liftgate from opening independent?
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

In the POE configuration, you don't use all the Series locks and handles etc (also, I can't remember how the Series liftgate used to work on my old Series IIa)...I removed all that stuff and am mounting a 3" metal strip on the inside bottom edge of the liftgate which will have a piece of the weather seal (that goes around the rear opening) on it...the tailgate will lock and keep the liftgate closed. All I have to do now is figure out how to mount two gas struts and where to source the struts and their mounting brackets...any suggestions are welcome.
George
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have an extra mounting bracket for a gas strut from a FG hard top which you could modify for your application. I might have 2 of one side, I'm not sure. The gas struts come from Pep-Boys or some other big-box crap-o auto parts retailer.

PM me if you want me to dig up the gas strut brackets.
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Jim...sent you a pm...thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, bracket, rack