Need Pics - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 13th, 2015, 11:47 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Need Pics

I need some large pics of NAS 110 AC box, and interior of dash, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2015, 12:19 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Actually, put it this way...

I have the Saudi Spec (NAS) set up in the 110. But the bulkhead is pretty bad. In fact, I think it is so bad that the PO simply gutted the AC unit, including the in-dash vents, and blocked it all up. The heat still blows top and bottom, but there is no AC. The AC box isn't even connected to the wing vent, and the box itself is actually home made.

The upper and lower dash is OK, but the center (NAS vents and such) are completely gone.

The controls for the heat and AC are in the wrong places.

The instrument panel is home made, but the instruments themselves are original.

I have a budget of $5k to buy a 4.2 engine (don't have to rebuild it before installing, it's good) and to fix what I can of all this. Luckily, the rest of the truck is really pretty good. Cosmetic issues is all.

What would you do?
Old February 14th, 2015, 01:21 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
See if this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	113701  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2015, 12:31 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I've got a 4.2 that I can buy.
The bulkhead will need work, but I think it is salvageable, based on what I've seen others do.
I want to know if I can convert it to a vented bulkhead.
I will need to get a heater heater box.
I have a strong blower, but don't know if it will work for a standard box.
I have a heater core but I don't think it will work for a standard box. Look at pic for where the hoses attach to it.
Will the 4.2 need a bigger radiator? If so, how have others done it?
I'm not going to even attempt to do any kind of AC unit.
Will need bulkhead vent parts.

Any ideas/help/parts?
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:11 AM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Do you still need pixs? I can send you some tomorrow. Shoot me an email with your personal email and let me know specifically what areas you need.
Eddie
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:40 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yes, any and all education will help.

I'm actually toying with building my own heater box with the good core and blower I have. Seems logical.

(Famous last words.... I know, I know....)
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:02 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I can also grab some pics tomorrow.
The guy who repaired my bulkhead cut them out and fabed up the hinge points. Before I had it galvanized. As far as the screens, I used the old school type, I remember seeing someone selling them, I think it was rover down south.

http://www.rdsparts.com

Under body parts

And he's having a sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	113881  
Old February 16th, 2015, 10:24 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
That's right, I remember seeing them there as well.

I'm really kind of stuck on deciding what to do. I'm sure the bulkhead I have can be repaired, but I really don't want to go back to the NAS style. I just don't like it, and that plastic... and the $$$ for each of those vents...

Anyway, I'd solve the problem, but make more work, by just getting a standard bulkhead and running with it. But I'm on a budget.

So, in my ignorance, I'm dreaming up a hybrid option.
Old February 17th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

I went thru a lot of this on the recent resto-mod on my NAS D110. The HVAC stuff is the b$tch to get around if you want to change the dash - as that system on the NAS D110 was only don't that year so didn't exist before or after - though I often do see complete NAS D110 dash parts for sale here often. There is no easy or cheap upgrade to get away from it - either D90 dash or Td5 - both end up expensive and causing major rework to the HVAC components depending on what you want to work or not.

I put a new D90 bulkhead into my D110 as my bulkhead was trashed. It has the vents which cannot work with the stock D110 dash as there is no room for the vent handles there. So I was going to go to a D90 dash as well and even bought one but that entails changing all the HVAC crap as well and my HVAC stuff (air and heat) was actually working so decided to just re-use the stock Dash and repaint and it looks fine. We were able to mod the vent flap closure mechanism to permanent hold the vent flaps closed so I don't have functional vent flaps but can in the future when I eventually upgrade to a Td5 dash or something better (but thats $6-8K atleast for the dash and parts and HVAC updates for AC/heat if you go that route).

I can take whatever pics you want - I work at home and the truck is here so let me know. If you want just stock dash pics, you can get those on ECR or google image search. I assume you want some specific pics so just tell me....

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:56 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I'd love to see what pics you have.

I'm basically saying bye to AC. Even if I had a good bulkhead and parts, I'm just not sure it's worth the expense of rebuilding. I have NOTHING left of the AC unit once in the truck.

I'm currently thinking of using the good core and fan I have to simply make my own heater/vent system.

I do have some ideas still going that I'm going to research in person some time this week. Measurements to be made, etc...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions