Need new drag link & pitman arm !? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Rover- Girl

Arrow Need new drag link & pitman arm !?

OK, so after I finally have the tire issue out of the way ( had the steering stop moved ).
I was told that the pitman arm and drag link would probably have to be replaced in the near future.
They are not bend or warped, but have a lot of weather rotting / dry rotting going on and a lot of movement!?
Is there a way to just replace the bushings ( seals, rubber parts ) or do I have to get a new arm and link !?
If I have to replace this, are there any upgrade options !?( mide as well go all out, right )
Thanks, again for everyone's help.. Christine
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
hey Christine, You can always upgrade! But you can bye all the parts you need to rebuild them from DAP, although you need a press to rebuild some of the parts, or any good shop can do the work.

As far as upgrade, you can upgrade the drag link with a heavy duty unit that is less likely to bend if it gets hit. the draw back, heavy duty stuff will only bend back with a 20 ton press, while a stock bar can be removed and bent nearly straight on the trail. I doubt that the drag link bar itself is rotted, but the bushings most likely are. It would be a good idea to replace the pan-hard rod bushings, both ends on the drag link and the tie rod ends all at the same time. I think DAP sells a kit to do most of that.

Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Rover- Girl

Ditto , thanks mike...
Just got off the phone with DAP and ordered all the parts needed....
guess I jumped the gun, however, I would like to get some belly protection..

Any insight on that subject would be grant
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Chris von C
No Defender at this time
Take a look below in the Similar Threads results box, a few topics already are listed that might be helpful.
Chris von C

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
Mine needs the same thing, the tie rod ends and drop arm joint need to be rebuilt. I plan on doing mine when it warms up a bit more. If you do it yourself, or get a shop to do it, either way it's a good idea to have a front end alignment at the same time.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions