Need more help on electrical issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 25th, 2013, 08:46 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
Exclamation Need more help on electrical issue

1988 110 RHD V-8

One day my right side low beam stopped working. shortly thereafter my left side high beam quit. So I have left side low beam and right side high beam.

Logical answer was switch - changed it and turn signal switch for new Lucas. Problem persists. DipDim was already unplugged and remains unplugged.

Fuses are all good.

What the hell else can I check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrockhound View Post
1988 110 RHD V-8

One day my right side low beam stopped working. shortly thereafter my left side high beam quit. So I have left side low beam and right side high beam.

Logical answer was switch - changed it and turn signal switch for new Lucas. Problem persists. DipDim was already unplugged and remains unplugged.

Fuses are all good.

What the hell else can I check?
bulbs are good if you swap sides?
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Circuit on a D is very simple. Each light (2x hi, 2xlow) have a circuit that goes from switch, through it's own fuse and straight to light connection. If you are sure the fuse is good, then it sounds like it's at the bulb. To confirm, pull your bulbs out, and use a circuit tester to each lead. each bulb has 3 connections. Hi+, Low+ and ground. if you get 12v on all four positive, it's the bulb or the ground.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Like Brian I'd assume the bulbs. Sealed beams usually fail withing a week of one another when replaced as pairs. That said glass fuses don't have to be blown to stop working.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:17 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
thanks

I will report back when I have some joy
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I will report back when I have some joy
If not fixed soon I will be in Anchorage for a few days in Oct and can come up your way to lend a hand.
Old September 25th, 2013, 11:48 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
In Fairbanks

If you are serious and Fairbanks is on your trip route - call me and come by for a look at my project. I am barely started - this light issue cropped up unexpectedly and what I hate about it is it prevents me from driving the thing in between working on it. 907-590-9332
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:20 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
All's well that ends well - I wish I could boast about my electrical prowess and tell you I confidently trouble shot this to conclusion. BUT instead I replaced the switches and all the fuses and cleaned the oxidation out of the fuse block seats and everything works fine now.

Frankly I am not sure it wasn't some oxidation on the fuse socket seats the whole time!

I wasted some time putting in one fuse at a time and testing high beam/low beam/running lights etc. It looked like I still had issues until all circuit breakers were in. Then everything worked fine.

Thanks for your help on this. I am really just getting started on a couple years of off/on rolling restoration work on this 1988 110 and I really like it compared to my old Series III.
Old October 12th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
If you are serious and Fairbanks is on your trip route - call me and come by for a look at my project. I am barely started - this light issue cropped up unexpectedly and what I hate about it is it prevents me from driving the thing in between working on it. 907-590-9332
I'll be in Fairbanks on the 17th if you want to meet up for a bit.

Brian@defendersnw.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical