Defender Source Forum banner

Need help with what to do while rebuilding my 200tdi.

845 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  El Solis 
#1 ·
So my poor little Defender 200Tdi has some excessive blow by and I've decided to have the engine yanked and do a full rebuild, top and bottom end. I've read the forums, done my searches, and would like some input as to what I should do while the engine is out. So far this is what I'd like to do:

Timing belt change
New valves and seals
Ceramic coat the exhaust manifold
New piston rings etc
Hopefully get the Mercedes hydraulic engine mounts
All new gaskets and seals all around
New head gasket
ARP head studs
Dynamat the bulkhead

Things that have recently been done
Water pump is new in the last 2 years (15,000 miles)
New turbo 3 years ago
Updated double core Alisport intercooler
Radiator was recorded a few years back, engine rarely gets above 185F-190F

Any other must do's and should do's?
The shop asked about upgraded cams and intake manifolds to get more air to the turbo. Not sure if it's worth it or not. I'm not looking for a hot rod. 65mph on the flats with the AC on and 55 up the long grades to Lake Tahoe would make me happy.

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Just build it as per the workshop manual. There is nothing to be gained by just replacing things like pistons and valves unless they need it. Be very careful with choice of any replacement parts. New parts, including genuine ones, are not as good as the originals.

Make sure they check the head for cracks.

There are no cams or other internal performance parts available. The best route to more than stock power is a different turbo that allows more boost. The stock one on a 200TDI is pretty much maxed out with the stock settings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.