Need help with VDO - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 5th, 2007, 11:57 PM
William Skidmore
1994 D90
Talking Need help with VDO

i know i know. but for the life of me i can not find anything specfic about the installation of the VDO temp guage into a 94 d90. closes thing i find is a reference to having to tie it into a vdo temp sending unit and thats it. and no direct instructions in the faqs, tech articles or the custom mods. what i would like to know is it just a plug and play with the vdo guage (part #310105) or do i have to buy something else so that it will work properly?

Old November 6th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
Sorry about the delay, while I don't have any working pictures available (D90 is in the shop) I do have some of the installation. I have left a list of the part numbers for the VDO gauges below. As for swapping out the lights I guess you could do that but I'm not sure where to find a bulb that possesses a higher wattage nor am I aware of the listed wattage. Personally the VDO's are far superior and less expensive in the long run as any accessory or part is easy to find.

I purchased all of my senders and gauges from Also all of the gauges are VDO Vision Black Series and are 2 1/16 in diameter except for the Speedometer which is 4-in.

Electronic Speedo: 85MPH (#437 154), however these might be out of production by now so you'll have to use the 120MPH (#437 155)
Speedo Sender: GM Sender (#340 011)

Temp Gauge: 250F/150C Range (#310 105)
Temp Sender: 250F/150C Range (#323 095). The thread is 1/8-27 NPT for most 95 D90's. The others are metric and I'll have to double check which one, but I believe mine was M14x1.5 (#323 416).

Tachometer: 6K RPM (#333 158) Just use the same wire from your alternator.

Fuel Gauge: Vision (#301 105) Again just use the same wire from the sender in the tank. There is no need to swap that out.

Electrically the only modifications that you'll have to perform are to establish new connections for the programmable speedometer and exchange the OEM light sockets for the VDO sockets using the same wires. The other issue is the Speedo sensor. You can do it yourself or take it to a speedometer-shop and have them install it. I had a shop do it for about $50.

Ill post some of my install pictures later tonight.

From this thread.
"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions