Need help with trade in - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 19th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

Question Need help with trade in

Hey guys, I'm in a tough situation and I need help. Here it goes. My wife and I were interested in a D90, we wimped out because I kept hearing stories like "how can you pay that much for an old truck, bla, bla, bla" Anyway, we purchased a 2003 VW Jetta to get us around. We are now sick of it and realize our mistake. I have wanted a Defender since I saw one in 95. Fact is, my jetta has gone down in value, the defender would not have, I am now commited to getting one. It's been very tough to sell privately, I tried A.RTrader, local papers, dealers, etc... It's worth about 12K on the trade market. It would be perfect to trade this car in to a dealer and get a D90 (if they were that easy to find). If anyone has any ideas, knows of d90's on any lots, or wants to purchase a VW jetta for a steal! please help! I'm located in Long Island NY, no luck on any dealers around here. Thanks for all of your help and information you guys have supplied. Sorry for the long post, but if I dont do this soon, I will be trading in the car for a jeep, and watch my D90 dream go down in flames
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2004, 09:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Try Bear Valley in Georgia - sometimes you have to be willing to travel for the right D90. There is also Copley up in Boston.
Old September 19th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

Thanks Jim, I plan to travel for the right D90, I can't spend 40K, but if I could cut a pending deal over phone, email pics etc... I would def. hit the road to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2004, 10:53 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

land rover alexandria in the DC area had one sitting on the lot about a month ago.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 19th, 2004, 11:00 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb
... get a D90 (if they were that easy to find).
What are you talking about? There's plenty on Ebay - and not for $40K. If you're looking for a steal good luck. Don't expect anyone here who happens upon one to pass it up so you can get it.

You want to play, you gotta pay.

And what the heck's wrong with a Jetta? I've had three, mostly good and dependable - don't expect the same from a Defender, unless you're lucky.
Old September 20th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Threre is a really nice one here in So Cal. LR Newport Beach has a AA Yellow 97ST w/ black steel wheels. Looks nice.
Old September 20th, 2004, 08:48 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

UNload that Jetta yourself. Local papers usually work, but takes a long time. Try www.traderonline.com or even Ebay to get rid of it. Try Car Max as well, since half their business is buying cars outright.

Bottom line is, having cash in your hand means you don't have to go to a dealer if you find the right 90 for sale by a private owner. You can try Bear Valley or Copley and trade the Jetta in, but you will get much less on trade than you would if you sold it outright.

Good luck
Old September 20th, 2004, 08:56 AM
mspell
Michael Spellman

There's a decent looking one in NJ at Paul Miller LR.
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:32 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I also think it would be best if you sold your Jetta yourself. As far as I 990 you will have to go to it, it wont come to you that was at least my experience with buying one... good luck
Old September 20th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Peter
Peter
1997 D90

My neighbor has 95 green SW for around $21,000
Old September 20th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Johnnyb
John Bombara

Thanks for the the reply guys, I researched those trucks, a few I had contacted previously. Hey Peter how many miles on your neighbors?
Arthur, no offense dude, but you must have misunderstood my post, maybe it was my fault, but I'm just asking if any of you guys knew of any on dealer lots, maybe someones friend just unloaded one, I took a shot. I have done my research for years on these things, I'm not just jumping into it or do I expect it to come to me. As far as asking for a DEAL? Out of all the years I have looked into these things, I found that the deals on the lot, are and far between. I need to go to a dealer for this because of my trade in. Most on Ebay are private sellers or not what I'm looking forI will also save on tax, which makes up the low price for my car.
Old September 20th, 2004, 09:08 PM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

I bought mine off Ebay, got what I think is a good deal on it and had a trade in. Most ebay auctions through a dealer will discuss a trade in. In my case I had bought my trade in (Audi S4) wholesale so I was ok on the trade in value. I would not expect much better than wholesale unless the dealer is near where they can view it. In the end after I had won the auction a local guy bought it from me and I had the dealer ship my 90 down from Montanna to Denver. I could have traded it in though and i discussed that with the dealer prior to auction close so that I could determine what I would pay.

I have bought 3 vehicles off ebay, two were from licensed dealers (this is significant as they have some state regulatory need to be somewhat truthfull, I know that is a stretch in some cases) and one from a private party. That vehicle was a 66 Shelby which due to its value and private party sale required proper verification which subsequently failed and nulled the auction. If you go through a dealer with good ebay history and represented a new car franchise that is better.

I think if you look around long enough and simultaneously try to sell your car outright while watching online and auctions you can get a good deal. If you can't afford patience, you can always pay way too much for one.
Dennis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions