Need help with heater blower motor! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The switch switches ground. So keep this in mind if you are using a test light. Connect the light to "+" and probe the swtich for ground. It may only be working on high. Since high is not really very strong anyway.

Good Luck
JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Now I'm confused...I read that it switched the ground also, but he said that the wires were only hot when the switch was on low or high respectively. Am I missing something?
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

OK pendy now you have me confused with your info.

I do know the difference between high and low, and trust me this is low. High in my truck was actually quite nice.

I have tried everything from cleaning contacts, contact cleaner, all wires are intact. test lighted all of them and there is power where it is suppose to be.

I still dont really have a way per say to test the switch, and based on what I have heard here, it dosnt sound like the switch is the problem.

any one have any suggestions other than spending 60 bucks for a new switch to see if thats the problem ?

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, if you've got the correct voltage/ground readings at all the wires with the switch in the corresponding spots, then you must have either a bad connection at/in the motor itself, or just a bad motor. I am not familiar with the system in your vehicle, so I can't say how hard it is to get to, but I am beginning to think, from your descriptions, that the next step is to remove it and bench test it.
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

I was afraid that that was the next step.

It is not a step that I wanted to do ! removing hood, and ripping out some stuff to get the heater out.

Its probably a fully days work if not more.

Thanx for the help.

Jason
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Why don't you feed power directly to the motor connections - where the resistor is? That will bypass the switch entirely. If the motor works for both speeds here then the problem is the switch. If still only one speed works then the problem's in the motor.

If you must take the heater out it is a pain and there are a couple of tricks to make life easier. Search elsewhere for this info in depth - it's here.
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:58 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

The one to really help you is Mike Hippert, he's in Manchester NH. He dosn't get here much lately (D90.com) but i could give him a call for you. You have live, so its either your motor or earth connection, theres not a lot can go wrong with the switch as its just an earth connector

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:51 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
..., theres not a lot can go wrong with the switch as its just an earth connector
Yeah, a crappy wiping switch. I've already had one fail. If you're adventurous you can replace it entirely with a simple rotary knob switch and even mount it in the same area - to the right side of that trim panel. There's plenty of room to still operate the vent handle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater, motor