Need help with check engine light - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162
Need help with check engine light

Hello there, Another newbie to the site,
OK here goes, I have a on going problem with this little yellow light on the dash. I keep trying to get it to go away and it persists on sticking around. I have code reader and the code is PO420 something about catalst effientcey, I went to a local guy here that does work on rover an asked him about some of the issues. I thought it was the cats or O2s, He did not think so he thought it was a leaking injector. I check the cats with a laser temp. senor. Both cats read around 420 deg. at the front of the cats and around 510 at the exit. It is a 97 with 47,000 miles on it. You don't think the cats would be bad already do you? replaced 2 O2 senors about a year ago. all yeah the light will stay on for days at a time then go out for a day then back on. Somedays runs really strong other days could not pass a Yugo Any ideas?

Old September 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE
Which O2 sensors did you replace? Your truck has four.

Old September 14th, 2006, 10:51 AM
My check engine light was on in my '94 D-90 for years. Land Rover Cape Fear in Wilmington, NC could never diagnose the problem, so they suggested that I disconnect the wire to the warning light.

True story.

Of course they would have also charged me $129 to snip the wire I'm sure...
"There is absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act."
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Bryan Tate
easy bitterman!
They have a great defender mechanic now (at CFLR). It wasn't cheap, but at least my truck is running perfectly now. He was nice enough to suggest a used MAF over a new one to get the truck going. Even gave me a break on a few hours of time.....
He used to track race cars and seems to know alot about electronics/ignition/diagnostics...
I hear you are outy for the MAR?? Hate that I won't see you there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

check engine light, engine, ht