Need help with 300Tdi electrical hook up... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 25th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Need help with 300Tdi electrical hook up...

Yet another problem with my "plug and play" 300Tdi kit. The engine harness and the bulkhead harness don't "plug" plus the "circuit diagram" color code doesn't match either the engine loom or the vehicle loom...grrr...can anyone point me to a 1995 NAS V8 ST wiring diagram plus an actual circuit diagram for a 300Tdi engine? Thanks in advance.
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2006, 11:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I could, but my storage drive crashed. 600 Bucks buys you an AMR 5256 (I think thats the number) which is a 300 Tdi main harness. I yanked everything and replaced it so that i wouldnt have a hybrid electrical system, which is probably the worse thing to hybridize on a vehicle.

Now some will say "bollocks! - you only need a 12v lead for the fuel solenoid - its simplicity itself!" and that is true, but I wanted something I could look up in a book for me or someone else further down the road.
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Bollocks!

It is two wires, the fuel pump, and the glow plugs. My truck doesn't even have a wireing harness. Good luck

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2006, 01:09 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There is that someone!

Buck - what is the next urban challenge - a field of fat women?

Kind of reminds me of old joke about the moped.
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Jim,
Did that harness literally just plug in to your 95 bulkhead wire plugs? (is it possible to confirm that part number?)
I would like to try to get close to ROW stock if possible. It's one of the reasons I went with M&D but that just doesn't seem to possible with what they supplied...
David...I hate to be dense...but what wires on my 95 do I hook up to? I know you's is ex-MOD so not compatible, but stuff like the coolant sensor plugs don't match...where's the rev sender? very confusing and the "circuit diagram" supplied is more confusing than helpful...I'm probably overthinking this but nonetheless...frustrating...
thanks
George
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:51 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
George, Wy dont you just open up your stock engine harness, and use it. You just need the wires to the senders, to the alternator and a power wire that goes to the fuel solenoid.. As for the glow plug setup, thats a separate harness that I can get you the part # for... Just use your original harness.. once the new wires are where you want them on the engine, use that plastic wire insulater stuff around the harness and you have your own..
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

You can blend the 2 harnesses to make a nice clean connection to your NAS main harness. That way the engine harness is slightly custom, but the car harness with all its little NAS differences stays the same. If M&D sent you a wiring harness with the glow plug timer and such you'll have everything you need to mix it with your V8 engine harness to make all the connections, but you will have to make some changes, it won't just snap in.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:42 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
George- No, that harness I'm talking about is an ROW main body harness. RDS sold me mine and I replaced everything except for the taillight subharness. I know its possible to do it other ways, but I didnt know what the hot setup was and like you I wanted something close to stock.
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:48 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Its going to be much more complicated for him to do a main harness swap than to just modify what he has as the radio harness, hazard harness and such are different in a ROW main harness plus it has no tach signal, etc. Plus it won't cost you anything other than time to blend your 2 engine harnesses vs. buying another body harness. IMO.

Old June 26th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Yes...as much as I'd like to do a main harness swap, I don't want to do that much work...I will probably cobble something together...So, to that end, does anyone have an actual 1995 ST NAS V8 wiring diagram? I have run across 96 and 97 but no 95...plus a wiring diagram for a 300Tdi engine? I know everyone is saying how simple this is, but I don't want to fry anything and a real circuit diagram for the engine loom would help...
thanks guys
George
oh and by the way...where do you pick up a rev signal? my altenator on the Tdi doesn't seem to have anything to plug into...
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

doh!
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:44 PM
neo812
Kris
1985 Tithonus

Trust me. It is much easier to just buy the correct harness as Jim says. I have done both. The harness is cheap and everything will work correctly. You will need a new hazard switch. Otherwise the turn signals do not work . The alternator on the 300 does not come wired for the tach. Just run a wire off of the back of the 300 alternator and supply power to the tach and it will work. The rear harness will work with some pin swapping to match the NAS rear harness.
If you cobble together a NAS harness into a Tdi you have all sorts of parts on it that you don't need and will just make your life miserable if you have to troubleshoot it down the road. Plus you will get rid of all the realys and extra fuses in the panel.
As far as the radio that is an extremely easy harness to build.
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:33 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

The tach drive on the Tdi alt. is the "W" post on the back of the unit. It works with your V8 tach.

PM or email me and I'll talk you through the color codes.

Old June 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM
neo812
Kris
1985 Tithonus

Mikes right. I was trying to remember which one it was and was drawing a complete blank. My last one was actually pretty accurate. I have heard of people doing this and the RPM being quite a ways off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, electrical, tdi