Need help with 300tdi crankshaft - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2015, 02:55 PM
piper109
Steve
1999 Disco 1 SD w/300tdi

Need help with 300tdi crankshaft

I have a 99 model Disco 1 that I swapped a 96 300tdi and R380 into about 5 years ago. Its been running well but 2 days ago, after a short drive I restarted at home and the oil light stayed on. I shut off and tried again about 3 times. Oil light stayed on solid each time. I removed the pressure switch and bumped the engine while switch was out and no oil came out of the pressure switch hole. I removed the filter (which was full of oil) and with the fuel solenoid disconnected, I spun the engine with the starter and no oil came out of the oil filter place. Oil pan is full with Rotella T6 that I changed about 3k miles ago. Oil light has always gone out instantly until now.
I dropped the oil pan and checked the pick-up tube and strainer, all good, no blockage. Unscrewed the pressure relief and removed the parts, all free and in good condition.
I figure the oil pump is not turning as I don't know what else it could be.
I am now trying to loosen the crankshaft pullet bolt and having a big problem.
Before installing the engine 5 yrs ago, I replaced the timing belt and idlers etc and I tightened up the crankshaft pulley bolt on the ground, with flywheel locked with a flat bar linking a flywheel bolt and the bell housing. I used a breaker bar and tube and a 1/2' drive 1 1/16" socket. Perhaps I over did it but engine has run great for 5 years and 25 k miles.
Now I need to loosen that bolt and have trouble. Used the breaker bar against frame and starter routine. Nothing doing. I destroyed a 1/2" breaker bar and just got whacks from another. I need a good way to lock the crankshaft. Does anyone have a suitable tool I could borrow or rent please? or perhaps know where I could get one this side of UK. Located in NC mountains near Boone. Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
3/4" impact. Should be able rent or borrow one.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 27th, 2015, 03:01 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

You need the $99 Crank pulley locking tool.
We have them for sale.
You may as well buy one if you're going to continue to run a 300TDI.
I use ours all the time.
Years ago no one had them, so I took a picture of one I saw in a service bulletin and had some manufactured.
PM if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	119327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	119328  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2015, 04:26 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
I use a 1 inch breaker bar and socket (it was free) thanks to my last job. But the trick is to let it swing a few inches on (using) the starter before hitting the frame.

Another good point in favour of the 2hundy

Five years on a belt? Time for a change.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:04 AM
piper109
Steve
1999 Disco 1 SD w/300tdi

Thankfully I was able to remove the crankshaft bolt with the tool from Rdavisinva. It was a bear none the less and I bent my new chrome vanadium breaker bar and a couple of cheater tubes before it turned loose. As it was me who tightened it when I replaced the belt (engine on the ground) I have nobody to blame but myself ! Now i have to remove the pulley and timing case etc including the inner section so I can get to the oil pump to inspect it.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:00 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Let us know what you find!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 2nd, 2015, 06:33 PM
piper109
Steve
1999 Disco 1 SD w/300tdi

Oil pump is now dismantled, timing case is off. Oil pump rotors seem in good condition and very little play. The timing case recess for the pump seems a little loose however, about .008". Engagement with crankshaft seems OK too, with about 40 thousandths "rattle" movement on the flats. Certainly pump was turning. Minimal wear marks on the pump plate though the 7 screws seemed looser than expected.
The oil pressure relief valve spring should be 68mm long. This one is 46mm long (has it really shrunk 22mm??) but I found nothing that might make it jam open. A little shiny wear in a couple of places on the plunger
I am still puzzled by the apparent lack of oil circulating. Oil might have been a little hotter than usual as I had been making IP adjustments.
Any 300tdi gurus have any comments?

Steve
Old June 14th, 2015, 08:12 AM
piper109
Steve
1999 Disco 1 SD w/300tdi

My 300tdi is all back together and running well. Quite a lot of work. New oil pump rotors and oil pressure relief spring plus new timing belt.
I get 50 psi at idle when cold, 15 psi when hot. 30-35 psi at cruising speeds when hot.
Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, crankshaft, tdi