Need help re-starting a 2.5NA after a gas blow by incident - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Kitlisle
Kit Lisle
None

Need help re-starting a 2.5NA after a gas blow by incident

Thanks for your help on this. Lot of background for you on this 2.5NA with lt77....

1. New diesel tank installed. (Maybe something in the lines afterwards?)

2. Vehicle started up relatively easily after new tank and drove around on some errands without incident, but with slightly less power and slightly more smoke than normal (clear gray).

3. Next day, very hard to start, much more smoke (same color), much less power. Downshifting from 5th to 4th, I accelerated for a hill and then heard a low-pitch "Pooofff" followed by lots of dark smoke from under the hood and rolling into the cabin through gearbox. Immediately turned the ignition off, pulled over, inspected and found that the oil filler cap had blown off (path of least resistance?), presumably due to blow by gas.

4. It turns over, but will not catch. The problem is that it always sounds like I am draining the battery to the point where it is not turning over strongly enough, but the battery is fine. Here is what I have done:
A. Tested battery.
B. Replaced fuel filter
C. Replaced glow plugs

Here is what I have not done, but have been told might be a good idea:
A. Drain half of the oil, add that amount of diesel to lubricate/add viscosity ( to at least get it to start)
B. Change the fuel pump
C. Hook up an additional 12V battery
D. Donate to my friend with a boat to use as an additional anchor

Anything else? Other suggestions? Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2016, 09:44 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
time to remove the head.

Don't even bother with A,B or C. When deep black smoke blows out your cylinder head, you've got serious issues.
Old February 8th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
ALWAYS start with changing the fuel filter on a diesel. What you describe as reduced performance after a fuel tank change sounds like a classic case of clogged filter, so good move starting there.

Have you checked flow to your injectors ? If you pull breather cap can you see valve train moving when someone hits starter -ie ruled out a broken belt ? Any smoke coming out of tail pipe when you try to start it ?

Never drain half the oil and replace with diesel, where did you get this idea ?

You indicate the truck has new glows but are they getting juice ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Kitlisle
Kit Lisle
None

Thanks to both of you. The glow plugs were getting juice before i replaced them, so i assume all the wiring is still fine. Yes, smoke is coming out of tail pipe when i try to start it. Bit dirtier, darker and smellier than it used to be! Have not specifically checked flow to injectors.
Old February 8th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitlisle View Post
Thanks to both of you. The glow plugs were getting juice before i replaced them, so i assume all the wiring is still fine. Yes, smoke is coming out of tail pipe when i try to start it. Bit dirtier, darker and smellier than it used to be! Have not specifically checked flow to injectors.
Smoke is a good sign. It means it has compression and fuel is atomizing and is close to starting. A little gasoline in your air intake would probably fire it off. If it starts up pull the dipstick and see what kind of pressure you have out of the tube with it running.

If it is turning slowly your starter may be shot if as you say the battery has the CCA's. A tired starter wont get the job done since the key is to spin the engine fast enough for the compression to ignite the diesel.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 8th, 2016, 11:50 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I have given this advise over and over again, but it never gets old.

You almost certainly are getting air in the fuel.
The story is always the same: running fine and just <fill in the blank with some change to the fuel system> and now it won't start or is hard to start and runs poorly.

DO NOT start pulling the engine apart, changing the timing, pulling the injectors, until you try this:

Install a 12V fuel pump as close to the tank as possible to expose the air leak.
Optimal routing is: tank, sedimenter, 12V fuel pump, lift pump, filter, IP, return to tank
Do not use the small 12V pump prefilter as the sedimenter will protect the fuel pump from clogging.

The fuel routing on the 2.5 N/A is less than optimal.
The return line from the IP and the injector spill over line are routed back to the fuel filter and joined to a line that returns fuel back to the tank.
This routing recirculates trapped air and makes bleeding the fuel system very difficult.
With the above optimal routing, your fuel system is self bleeding by simply switching on the key.
You'll get adequate fuel delivery first time every time.

DO NOT dilute your crankcase oil with fuel.

If the blow by is extreme after this exercise, then you can look at other solutions.
My guess is your cap was loose to begin with and popped off, but could be wrong.
The issues you describe less the filler cap popping off could be solely related to fuel delivery.

Good luck.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:40 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
If one wants to dilute oil in an engine (because of freezing temp (arctic temp that is)) drain some oil and replace with gas or kerosene. That's for a gas engine. I've never tried it with a diesel one.. The principle is to dilute the oil to help cranking speed. Once the engine fire up, the gas will evaporate. Just poor back some oil to fill the sump back up again. I can't see why it shouldn't work with a diesel engine but, don't dilute with kerosene..
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:32 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
If one wants to dilute oil in an engine (because of freezing temp (arctic temp that is)) drain some oil and replace with gas or kerosene. That's for a gas engine. I've never tried it with a diesel one.. The principle is to dilute the oil to help cranking speed. Once the engine fire up, the gas will evaporate. Just poor back some oil to fill the sump back up again. I can't see why it shouldn't work with a diesel engine but, don't dilute with kerosene..
This may work fine, but there are other risks when mixing fuel with crankcase oil that could be negated by other means.
Assuming synthetic oil is a good choice for the engine, it could provide the adequate lube qualities at colder temps while maintaining a thinner viscosity, then work just as well in a warmed engine (when compared to diluted fuel with gasoline + the 10% alcohol and all the additives that may not easily evaporate).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
Holy crap. Please nobody follow that advice!

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:37 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Holy crap. Please nobody follow that advice!

Oh, come on. It worked for the Luftwaffe!

Just having fun...seriously don't do this.
..tolerant Wife...
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:44 AM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
sorry, couldn't resist.. This is a joke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oNZpsEP.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	141930  
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:52 AM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpin View Post
sorry, couldn't resist.. This is a joke
I prefer this method..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3818616548.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	141931  
Old March 6th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

Did you ever figure this out?

My 2.5na wouldn't start this weekend - same symptoms as you - engine turning over but not catching.

I looked under the hood and found the oil filler cap was very loose and couldn't be tightened and oil all over the inside of the hood/bonnet.
Old March 6th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Kitlisle
Kit Lisle
None

Sounds like the same thing -- I agree. I pulled the engine and we put in a 300 tdi. But someone came and was super excited about the old engine and was convinced he could get it started again. not sure whatever happened. good luck with it.
Old March 6th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

That doesn't sound promising! Thanks though,
Old March 6th, 2017, 05:29 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Pictures?

Is the 300Tdi running? Are you happy with the change? (Okay, dumb question. But I'm still going to ask.)

Mike & Carrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitlisle View Post
Sounds like the same thing -- I agree. I pulled the engine and we put in a 300 tdi. But someone came and was super excited about the old engine and was convinced he could get it started again. not sure whatever happened. good luck with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, start, starting