Need help... no spark - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2016, 01:14 PM
redrange
Billy
96 Disco "Narlee"

Registry
Need help... no spark

Wish i knew more about this but i don't. Had my coil and ignition module replaced in July (mallory coil) and all of a sudden, I'm getting no spark. any suggestions would be great!
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2016, 04:58 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrange View Post
Wish i knew more about this but i don't. Had my coil and ignition module replaced in July (mallory coil) and all of a sudden, I'm getting no spark. any suggestions would be great!
Subscribed.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 05:02 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
What precipitated this no spark condition? Are you getting fuel (do you hear hear the fuel pump whine when you turn the key) or is that out too?

What motor is this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2016, 05:52 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
How did you test no spark?

do you get a single spark and nothing or nothing at all?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 5th, 2016, 08:31 AM
redrange
Billy
96 Disco "Narlee"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike View Post
What precipitated this no spark condition? Are you getting fuel (do you hear hear the fuel pump whine when you turn the key) or is that out too?

What motor is this?
i'd had trouble with the fuel pump so I'd put in a new one last july along with a Mallory coil and new ignition module. ran fine since then. then it began not starting just a couple weeks ago. the fuel pump whir's when i turn the key and i hear the relay up in the dash click after a few seconds and the fuel pump turns off. i think thats normal? as for the spark test, I'd pulled the wire off one of the plugs and held it right next to the plug and saw no spark. to avoid taking out the plug, i bought another and tonight and going to connect one of the existing wires to this new plug and lay it near the block to see if the bottom sparks. thought i'd get the correct result holding the wire near the existing plug but i'm getting conflicting messages from people saying I need to try it both ways. one as i have, and the other on a separate plug laying it near the block to see if it fires.
Old January 5th, 2016, 09:01 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
There are white wires that connect the coil. All white is from IGN module to coil +. There is a white/black that sends SPK OUT sig to the ECU. Sometimes these (old brittle) wires break right at the spade connector. Worse, they are holding on by one or two strands and are about to go.
I would look at the connections first and see if any have failed.
If they are good, then the next thing will be to look at the module. Do you have the old one you can use temporarily?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 5th, 2016, 09:17 AM
redrange
Billy
96 Disco "Narlee"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
There are white wires that connect the coil. All white is from IGN module to coil +. There is a white/black that sends SPK OUT sig to the ECU. Sometimes these (old brittle) wires break right at the spade connector. Worse, they are holding on by one or two strands and are about to go.
I would look at the connections first and see if any have failed.
If they are good, then the next thing will be to look at the module. Do you have the old one you can use temporarily?
Thanks Bill.. i'll check those wires too. No, i don't have an old module to use. Carlos threw the new one on for me so i didn't keep my old one.
Old January 5th, 2016, 09:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Bill.. i'll check those wires too. No, i don't have an old module to use. Carlos threw the new one on for me so i didn't keep my old one.
Do you have the Mallory distributor? There is a specific test they outline using a credit card and a voltmeter to check the ignition module function. Do you also have the prescribed resistor(s), etc. for the system you're running?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...mly-65104.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...own-65155.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...rts-20662.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...irm-55302.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...art-36737.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...nue-49449.html

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ast-29056.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions