Need Help Mean Green Alternator install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Need Help Mean Green Alternator install

I got this NIB but it didnt come with any instructions. I am specifically wondering about how the adapter bracket and the bottom hole mount.

Pictures would be most helpful. The alternator does not just "bolt up" to the existing bracket, but there is a supplied adapter bracket but I cant for the life of me figure out how it is supposed to work.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

some pics

I know that not a lot of people have these, but there's got to be someone out there! I am starting to think I bought an alternator for a different truck.

The problem I am having is that this thing is mondo. It is significantly bigger than the stock alternator, and it is interfering with the hose as well as the motor. The pulley thing on front is also much bigger than the stock one. Where the alternator is stationed in the pics, the belt is about as far as it goes. In addition, the mounting hole for the tensioner does not even come close to ligning up.

In order to clear the hose and block and get the tensioner bolted up, I need to rotate the alternator down and to the right, however the belt is not nearly long enough. Am I missing something? I need to get this thing running really badly.

If I can't shed any light on this by tomorrow, I am about to order a LR alternator. Mean Green seemed really surprised on the phone that one did not bolt up. He told me to send pics, which I intend to do, but as I need this thing fixed quick, any advice on here is greatly appreciated also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	php9sLSv4PM.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	10580   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpSEHLguPM.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	10581  

Click image for larger version

Name:	phpYJqMdpPM.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	10582  
Old September 24th, 2007, 09:45 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

I don't know if this will help... I had the MG in my D90 when I had the 3.9.
The first thing I notice is the one I have seems to have the face plate clocked differant that yours, mine has the 12V teminal about 180deg from the lower mnt. If I remember correctly my alt seemed to be rotated farther away from the engine than how yours is in the pic. And my belt ran on the inner ribs of the pulley not the outer. It is hard to describe but i think if you rotate the upper end of the bracket towards the block and the Alt itself towards the fender it might fit better..
I had a load of problems getting any help from MG.. Once installed mine ran good but always seemed to vibrate a bit. They did send me a new and improved cast fron face plate that was supposed to help... I never got a chance to install it though. If you want PM me and I will send you my phone number to discuss..

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

hmmm. I am going to try rotating it like you described. It seemed like the belt was limiting the alt from rotating down but I know from the one picture of one that I could find installed, that just like you said, it needs to be farther towards the fender. Maybe it is just being really stubborn.

This might be a dumb question, but Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if this would fit on an '89 RRC? They both have the poly belt set up.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:08 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That alternator looks like it was made for the Serpentine belt... Maybe they gave you one for the 4.0 engine.

Old September 25th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
That alternator looks like it was made for the Serpentine belt... Maybe they gave you one for the 4.0 engine.
Good call. I think that's exactly what you got.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I bought it from a person on this board and I specifically asked whether it was for a '94. Maybe I can get a number off of it and call in to mean green and see if it is in fact for a '94.

I noticed that the pulley has a ton more grooves than is needed with the belt.

Follow-up Post:

Tom,

Does the one on my truck look like yours? The pulley looks really big for the 3 grooved belt. Did yours look like that?

PS I also have an email into mean-green with pics so hopefully I will get some clarification today.
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

ok, so I emailed MG with no reply, after I had called them and the guy told me to email. Anyway, Then I emailed Jeff Corwin and JC Rover in Denver becuase I know that he had done one of these before, and this is the response that I got:

Jeff said that MG only made alts for serp belt motors, but that he successfully modified one to fit a 1994 d90, which included mod-ing the upper and lower mount as well as using a custom belt. Since I am not looking for one that needs modication, I am hoping that the person I bought this from will refund me my money. I hope I didnt just throw $400 down the drain.
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Jeff-

Got your PM and will help you with the situation. I can tell you that Mean Green must have made the original error since my buddy who sold you the alternator has a 94 3.9L and that is what application he asked for. At any rate, I'll make sure the situation gets remedied.

Tis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator