Need Help! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2005, 07:03 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Need Help!

Took my truck to the local shop that has worked on it in the past for a new starter, ignition wires, distributor cap, rotor. After they did the work they said it started right up and everything was fine. Later that day when they went to start it to bring it to me it wouldn't start. They don't have the diagnostic equipment to read the computer so they can't determing what is wrong. What they are telling me is that when you turn the key and it starts cranking it's "dumping fuel", to the point where it almost immediately fouls the plugs. The local LR dealer is telling me they can't even look at it for 2 weeks because they're so slammed.

Anybody have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2005, 10:00 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
hmm. I would wonder if everything is connected properly? is it getting enough "fire"
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Did they check for spark? Maybe when they put the new cap on it did not get locked down and it is not allinged so it is not sparking at the right times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2005, 10:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
cap/rotor conflict.
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

misconnected vacuum hose at the pressure regulator?

wrong wire connected to an injector? I noticed the fuel temp sensor and coolant sensor are right next to the injectors, and use the same connector coming out of the same harness. If it was forcing an injector open, it might be going into flood-clear mode.

But first thing I would check is the connections they worked on, maybe something jiggled loose.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:29 PM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT94D90
The local LR dealer is telling me they can't even look at it for 2 weeks because they're so slammed.
There is a shocker. A Land Rover dealer swamped with repairs...to uh...well Rovers....go figure.

I agree...sounds like the distributor is not installed correctly....
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:21 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

The cap and rotor are Proline, which I got from RN. Shouldn't be any compatibilty issues there. I just assumed they checked for spark. They obviously had it initially since it started right up twice during the day after they did the work, before it wouldn't start.

I'll have them recheck all connections and check the vacuum hose at the pressure regulator as well as the injector wires. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Scot, I'll call them right now and find out where they got the sockets.
Old January 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Well, you guys were right. The new dist cap was defective. I had them re-check for spark and there was good spark from the ign coil but some of the plugs were not sparking. He took the new dist cap off, put the old one back on and it started right up. He said the brass thing on the new cap was barely touching. I wonder if RN is gonna cover the new plugs and oil change I now need because of the defective part they sold me?

Anyway... Mike, Phil, Hans, Scot, thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions