Need Help... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2010, 07:38 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Need Help...

I'm replacing my Rotors & Brake Pads on my D-90... I started on the left rear after disassemble and I thoroughly cleaned and repacked the bearings. All looked good no issues noted...

The hub went on smooth, I tightened down the inner hub nut by hand until the free-play was around .005.. It spun freely no resistance but now its making a noticeable metallic sound like a bad bearing....

After cussing for a few minuets at the dumb ass that designed the brake system... Dam Rovers always have issues, Its never an easy fix...

I pulled it apart and i checked everything... Did this three times... No luck

I happily installed a new set of bearings... Of course the old ones looked good as new and spun freely no flat spots....

The only exception on this re-install was, the new bearings would not slide onto the stub axle at all. I took some crocus cloth and polished the shaft...

Not much polishing was needed it was not rusted or marred up so I'm not sure why the new bearings hesitated...

Now it slid on nice and smooth...

i got the same dam noise again, not a loud but still noticeable... I did notice now when the hub nut is tighten down their is bit more free-play to get rid of it the hub has resistance on it and will not spins easily...

Hell with the possessed hub, Lots more cussing 2 beers 2 broken bottles...

Ok onto to the right side, luckily it went text book no issues quite as should be....

Ok back to the left side, I disassembled it all again, taking care to notice everything

The Anti lock sensor was not hitting the ring as i first thought... But no obstructions notice, no metal to metal marks... Nothing found at all

Ok i give up WTF.... The only thing i can think of is a slight bend in the stub axle?

Before i give Rovers North more of my kids inheritance does any one have any ideas?
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2010, 10:59 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Any chance it's the disc guard? Maybe it got bent in the process and is rubbing on something? I had one that was just screwed after I R&R'd the brakes, I just tore it off.

Just a thought.
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Good thought but No disc was removed and painted bright and shiny... And the first time the guard was off
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

Are you certain it's a metallic sound? I recently replaced the inner axel seal and didn't recess the seal enough. It caused a strange sound, but could best be described as a high-pitched squeak. When I took the hub off the rubber seal was resting on the stub and caused the seal to make this squeak when the wheel turned. Just a thought...
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:28 AM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Ill give that a try. I did smear grease on the flange face and did notice an fait mark left by the seal lip... I also recessed it the same as the other side. But not only does the noise bother me but the excessive movement like the bearings are not seated properly. I did torque it down to 80lbs to pre-load then back off like the manual states... Ill mess with it some more this afternoon...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions