Need help 1300 miles from home - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2009, 04:35 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

Unhappy Need help 1300 miles from home

I'm on a long road trip, and my 94 has started stalling when going very slow, typically when turning. Mostly this has been happening when the engine is very warm. When it happens, the loss of power is sudden and complete. There is no bucking or dropping of RPMs. Just no power. The engine will crank and crank, but not restart. Until it sits for "awhile." Awhile has been anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. When is does restart, it fires up with no problem. Runs fine on the highway and around town, until it decides to stall again.
I have so far replaced the fuel filter and the stepper motor. The vehicle has 93k miles on it. I have had it about a year and a half. The PO had multiple parts replaced prior to the sale (vehicle had 81K miles on it). These parts include a new MAF. Plug wires look aftermart, but old. The coil is of unknown age, but the lable is fadded blank.
When it wont start, I can still hear the fuel pump relay kick on for the typical 3 to 8 seconds. When I changed the fuel filter, I turned the ignition on and lots of gas squirted from the filter. Also, if I keep the idle at 1000 RPMS or slightly higher, it does not stall. However, just prior to stalling, idle is fine. No warning before stalling.
Also, no service engine light.
I have done multiple searchs for Stalling, Stalling when stopping, etc. I do not have access to a fuel pressure tester or sparker tester at present. Iam currently in Carlsbad, CA with my 7 year old son. Any suggestions are weclome. What should I replace?
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Sounds like classic fuel starvation to me. I would guess your fuel pump is dying on you, giving intermittent pressure. The other thought I have is the idle bypass on your injection intake. I had the same engine in my 95 Disco, and that got gunked up quite a bit, causing stalling problems. If you take off the hose between the MAF and the intake, and then look inside the intake on the firewall side, you'll see a little hole. Shoot some carburetor or fuel injector cleaner in there until the black stops running out. That's where just enough air bypass the throttle plate to keep the engine running, when the throttle is completely closed. The stepper is the next idle control up from that, but perhaps as you pull off from a complete stop, the engine stalls before the stepper can compensate and open to allow more air. Just a thought.
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:59 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

Will give that a try. Forgot to mention that several times when it has stalled, but the vehicle was still rolling, I have popped the clutch and the engine has fired right back up. And I was able to keep it from not stalling by keeping the engine RPM anything above idle.
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can jerry rig the throttle cable and/or base idle screw to keep the idle higher and then sort it out when you get home.
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

sounds like and ignition module.
try contacting west coast rovers
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Im putting my money on ignition module unless its been relocated. I would hate to be in your position.
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:24 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

Stupid question where is the code reader/port on a 94? And aftermarket part number for the ignition module?
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Im putting my money on ignition module unless its been relocated. I would hate to be in your position.
but he can keep it from stalling by keeping the RPMS up, thats not ign module guys
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

New development. Wiggled on wires, vacum hoses and a long, hard black plastic tube running from the fire, directly in front of the steering wheel, running down to somewhere near the left front wheel. Now the speedometer does not work. Related or a red herring? Got a spark tester, so when it happens again I can check to see if I have spark.
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:29 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
give william at premier rover a call. they're open til 5 and in san diego. great guy and a great tech.

ph: (858)344-4455

on the off chance...check the vacuum tube at the rear of the plenium that goes from the Stepper to the rear of the TPS. crack could cause a vacuum leak. mine was doing the same thing. cleaned the stepper motor with carb cleaner and duct taped the hose back together until i could get a replacement. it's been fine since. also check the tvalve on the front vacuum hoses. that gets clogged as well.

only happened when it was warm. or after a tough day in the desert.
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
but he can keep it from stalling by keeping the RPMS up, thats not ign module guys

I missed that.
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

Well, I managed to get the speedo to work. Sprayed, trimmed and reconnected some vacum lines. Also cleaned the connection on the MAF. Still need to replace the hose clamp that holds the air intake tube to the plenum. Missed Premier Rover though. Will check the stepper to TPS tube.
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

Sounds like an ignition module. When mine went it first started failing intermitently, before failing completely. A failing ignition module will not throw a check engine light/ and provide a code on the display (under the pass seat, or behind the pass kick panel.). Also, the failure mode of ig. module seems to be heat related.
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:06 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

California Rover is closer to you in Encintas.
Talk to Dean or Bob.
www.californiarover.com
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

Turns out that I also have code 44. For whats thats worth.
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

That pretty much confirms a vacuum leak.
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

Going to try to get on the road today. I hopeing I don't need more help. Thanks to everyone, will update later.
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
That pretty much confirms a vacuum leak.
yep.

let us know if you need some help
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had an ignition module start to fail and the truck would run well @ night and on the highway. If i got in traffic or even so brief as stopping @ a toll booth the engine would die and not restrat unless I opened the hood and let it cool down. During the day the ambient temp was to high and the truck would only go a mile before death.
This happened @ the beach in Deleware and I limped it home to Northern Virginia. Ignition modules = another reason to go diesel.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Tis why I carry a spare ignition module.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags