Need good Rover guy in NC! - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:25 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slatelacy View Post
Looking towards Raleigh. That would be easiest for me.

------ Follow up post added May 3rd, 2016 12:14 PM ------

Where to begin. Its a 94 D90 ST with around 120,000 miles. I bought it in 2011 from a guy in Cali who had just spent about 10k with West Coast rovers to put a 4.6 in it. Ive put maybe 10k miles on it since then. The motor was still in break-in period when I got it. To me, it never seemed to run like it should. I put a Mark Adams chip for a 4.6 in it not long after I got it and it seemed to run better than with the stock ECU. A year or so afterwards the truck would act up from time to time (erratic idle, stalling, losing power on long hill climbs) but seemed to run well 80% of the time. Fast forward a couple years. I stored the truck outside for a whole winter, got in it after a few months and it fired right up. The next winter, I stored it in my garage. Ever since then, something is draining the battery. It can't sit for longer than a couple of hours without being stone dead. I installed a battery cutoff solenoid switch, because no one could find the drain. I suspect mice to be the culprit, as they had gotten into my motorcycle and chewed up everything. In addition, the truck just wouldn't run right(same problems as before, but now throwing fault code 44, sometimes 45). I have replaced o2 sensors twice, no change. New mass air flow, no change. Vacuum tested, no leak. Something is telling me that one damn little wire has been chewed in half by a mouse and all of my problems stem from that. Maybe not, but I am at my wits end with this thing!

Yeah, that sounds like there are some deeper issues---

Contact crown14/Joel in Clayton. He is a good guy-- can build up an engine or do a frame off D90 resto....
See if he can take a look at this.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...wn14-2358.html

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2016, 01:01 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

so your main choices should be..

Joel (crown14 here)
Braddys British (Linny) - he does my work. braddysbritish.com
Discover automotive (good as well)

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 3rd, 2016, 01:07 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
If you can come a little further I say Drew at Sarek Autowerk in Richmond.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2016, 03:19 PM
slatelacy
Slate Lacy
94 ST

Thanks to Brian and the crew at LRC in Raleigh, the ole girl is humming right along! Turns out the battery draw and rich running were due to my local mechanic replacing the fuel pump/o2 relay with the wrong relay! The o2 heaters were not grounding, causing the battery draw. The o2 sensors were effectively out of the loop the whole time as it turns out. She's running like a top now! Thanks again LRC!!!
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:51 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
If you can come a little further I say Drew at Sarek Autowerk in Richmond.
If you take it to Sarek (great guys BTW) you may find your motor replaced with a Bimmer M motor...

It's good to hear you've finally got your bugs worked out. Let's go wheeling!

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:07 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

That's a cute little motor Bo! We prefer LS's! And our trucks are at least mostly the same color... Drew is a good friend and was on the phone when we found the issue. He helped resolve it fairly quickly, he has been on my speed dial for nearly 3 years, an awesome guy. We are happy to help, and glad to see the smile on Slades face driving his truck for the first run in over six months. There where a few little issues that where easily resolved once we figured out what was causing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2884284425.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	150778  
Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:20 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Great news, and he was ready to get rid of it! Hope to see it up in the high country sometime.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions