Need Equal Tire balancer feedback - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Thanks Won. p.s., if you are one of the few fortunate bastards that has managed to find and purchase XZL's for your defender, you are not authorized to complain about them. Overlook the shortcoming and relish in the fact that you have the best expedition tire, and much like the Defender, appreciate the tradeoffs that you have accepted to have such a specialized tire that does that one thing so well.

The other option is to trade tires with me. My OEM michelin X's are nice and quiet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2007, 08:46 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I'm not sure whether this would be more appropriate here or in a new post, but here goes. I just posted the other day about how well Equal has worked for me, and then I bought a new tire (one got shredded) and rotated my tires. Now I have a horrible shimmy somewhere once I get past about 60mph (indicated).

All my tires have Equal in them, and I have a brand new tire on the rear left, and the front left has my old spare that wasn't on the vehicle before the rotation. I usually have 5 tires and then rotate them around so I always have a matching spare. However, I have had to replace 3 tires in the last year so the other two have less tread.

Like I was saying, once I hit around 60mph, the spare on the hood is bouncing up and down and the steering wheel is vibrating horribly. It comes and goes. It SEEMS like this is coming from the front. I wonder if it's to do with the Equal providing inadequate balancing, or from my tires not being close enough in size due to differing amounts of wear. Here are the approximate tread depths in mm of my tires:

left front: 5.5mm
right front: 9.5mm
left rear: 11mm (new)
right rear: 10.5mm

My left front tire was previously my spare. Could the 4mm difference in tread be causing this vibration? I don't mean to be rude here, but I'm hoping for actual knowledge and experience vs. what other people have heard.

I don't want to put weights back on my tires, especially if that's not the problem. I could put more Equal in but it's hard to find around here and then I have the expense of pulling off all my tires too. Again, maybe for nothing.

Oh yeah, I have steel rims and 235/85 BFT A/Ts.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I have now installed Equal in my new BFG MT's, and after a few hundred miles, the tires are still running nice and smooth. I'm impressed with Equal, and will be purchasing another pack or two to keep in my repairs kit. with that, the compressor, the arb tire repair kit, a few spare valves I also bought from EE and my outback tire pliers, there is little I can imaging with respect to the tires that would leave me stranded anywhere.

Installation of the BFG's went smoothly, done by myself. I was also able to get full inflation on the BFG's with my portable compressor on my tubed steel rims. when there was a leak during initial inflation, it was small. All I would have to do was jiggle the tire a little on the rim, or put my weight on the tire by leaning on it, until the pressure picked up over 20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2007, 03:45 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I used Equal for one entire set of tires life. One thing I found helpful was to have the tire shop balance the rims without tires on them before putting the tires and Equal in. It was surprising how out of balance the Rover alloys really were.

I ran the Equal and really I liked the idea of tires getting more balanced the longer you drive on them. The whole theory makes perfect sense to me. Truth is I hated it till the day I got new tires and went back to weights.

What I liked least was driving down the interstate and everything is fine, then you cross a bridge and the whole front end shakes until the equal settled out again. Certain types of pavement work great others are a nightmare depending on the spacing of the cracks in the road.

One good thing about Equal is I never got a speeding ticket because I never went over 65 mph or the tires would start bouncing.

I hope you have good luck with it, I wanted it to work but it just bugged me too much.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:05 PM
anthony
Anthony Leung
1995 D90SW #51

has anyone used equal on beadlocks? Trying to figure out should i just use bb's or equal.
1995 D90sw #51 (Converted to ST)
1997 D90ST
2006 LR3 HSE (untouched... for now)
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:05 AM
thecatsmeow
Michael Morgan
1994 D-90 ST

Balance Break-In

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned, but... My experience with BFG MT 33's has shown that with tires that are rudely out of balance, balancing is the first half of the solution. As they get some mileage (<1000), they will wear back to even, and noticeably improve. Then rebalance again. The weight adjustment will be happily less the second time round.
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
I'm not sure whether this would be more appropriate here or in a new post, but here goes. I just posted the other day about how well Equal has worked for me, and then I bought a new tire (one got shredded) and rotated my tires. Now I have a horrible shimmy somewhere once I get past about 60mph (indicated).

All my tires have Equal in them, and I have a brand new tire on the rear left, and the front left has my old spare that wasn't on the vehicle before the rotation. I usually have 5 tires and then rotate them around so I always have a matching spare. However, I have had to replace 3 tires in the last year so the other two have less tread.

Like I was saying, once I hit around 60mph, the spare on the hood is bouncing up and down and the steering wheel is vibrating horribly. It comes and goes. It SEEMS like this is coming from the front. I wonder if it's to do with the Equal providing inadequate balancing, or from my tires not being close enough in size due to differing amounts of wear. Here are the approximate tread depths in mm of my tires:

left front: 5.5mm
right front: 9.5mm
left rear: 11mm (new)
right rear: 10.5mm

My left front tire was previously my spare. Could the 4mm difference in tread be causing this vibration? I don't mean to be rude here, but I'm hoping for actual knowledge and experience vs. what other people have heard.

I don't want to put weights back on my tires, especially if that's not the problem. I could put more Equal in but it's hard to find around here and then I have the expense of pulling off all my tires too. Again, maybe for nothing.

Oh yeah, I have steel rims and 235/85 BFT A/Ts.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
So after about 2 years of use, I began to have similar vibration issues like Andrew describes AFTER rotating my tires for the first time. Around 60-65, distinct vibration, bonnet spare bounce, etc. I called the manufacturer of Equal to see if there was anything I am missing, and they stated that Equal is primarily meant for commercial trucks, and that passenger vehicles don't really have the "load weight" needed for Equal to work, and therefore they don't offer the guarantee on passenger vics.

So, today I had all 5 tires pulled, Equal residue removed, and rebalanced with standard weights.

Long term report of Equal on a D: Not recommended.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, tire