Need Emergency Diff-Lock Help! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Need Emergency Diff-Lock Help!

I am in Daytona on vacation and my rear driveshaft seized up and literally fell off of the truck while I was going down the road (needed grease). I have disconnected the rear drive shaft in an attempt to limp home 600 miles in two wheel drive with the diff lock engaged, but my diff lock isn't working properly.

Whenever it's locked and the light is on I can reverse or idle just fine, but if I use the throttle it acts like it is trying to kick it back out of diff lock. I have to have constant and immense pressure on the shifter to keep it engaged and this is not going to be possible all the way back to Tennessee.

I'm not sure what to do other than to ease over to the Rover dealer in Orlando and see if they can fix it. I don't have any idea why the transfer case would be kicking it out of diff lock, but I need a fix before I have to leave Florida. Would it be smarter to try and get them to fix my diff lock or try to replace my rear driveshaft. One way or another I have to get this truck out of Florida by Saturday.

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
It sounds like the diff lock lever is out of adjustment. If you know how I would say slide under the truck and take the linkage off and lock the diff with a wrench. It's not the simplest way but it should work for you.
Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Used propshafts are cheap - I gave away an old set. Maybe someone has one here they will ship to you expedited. Otherwise, call Crazy George at RDS - he'll probably have it, and is in Louisiana so shipping wont take long to your location.

WRT to the difflock, its probably just being sticky and sometimes takes fiddling to engage. Otherwise, an internet diagnosis is pretty futile.

I would just call RDS and get the driveshaft. If its just a u-joint you can probably have it rebuilt locally. I couldnt exactly tell what happened from your description...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Will that keep me safely in diff lock with no chance of it disengaging for the 600 mile trip home? Also, will I need to manually disengage it the same way once I make it home?

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I really need all the help I can get right now.
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Yes that will keep it in unless you have a serious transfer case issue and that I highly doubt. Unlocking it when you get home is just a reversal of what you had done. Be careful driving on just the front, it can be a bit twitchy.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

I've got a good stock rear shaft with newer u-joints...Paypal $100 plus shipping and i'll send it RedAM for weds morning delivery...

muddyrover at adelphia.net

Lyman
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Daytona to Nashville thats a one hell of a long way to drive a 90 for vacation. Hats off to you !
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Rovers land 305 7548800
This guy have a bad rap but he's in FLA
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:04 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Crowther
Daytona to Nashville thats a one hell of a long way to drive a 90 for vacation. Hats off to you !
I'm taking a 60 day road trip this summer and will be visiting all 48 states. This trip is merely a test drive.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to talk to the dealership tomorrow and price out a driveshaft and repair, but I'll post the update and I might be willing to take someone up on buying a used driveshaft if it's in good shape... though I would prefer something a little closer than NY.
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Might I ask what part of the driveshaft failed? Was it a bad U-joint, or something else?

Unfortunately, the one guy that I knew in Daytona that could help for sure... died a few years back.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:09 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
might be cheaper to get a plan ticket fly to NY pick up the shaft and come back than messing with the dealer. there is bound to be someone wheres our friend Martin?
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

let me know, time is ticking. 2day is way cheaper than red. waited too long to get it out today..i'm off to work..could have been three day shipping.

if you do want this part, get me a static length flange face to flange face of your driveshaft so i can make sure what i've got will be what you need.
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Monkeyboy

a) Are you certain that the parking brake is releasing fully?

b) That the engine & trans mounts are intact?

c) x2 on engaging the diff lock from under the vehicle.

d) We drove the Disco home to Iowa from Colorado in front drive only. Wasn't too exciting.
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong
a) Are you certain that the parking brake is releasing fully?

b) That the engine & trans mounts are intact?

c) x2 on engaging the diff lock from under the vehicle.

d) We drove the Disco home to Iowa from Colorado in front drive only. Wasn't too exciting.
I have never run into an issue with the parking brake before, so I believe it functions well. Not entirely sure about the mounts but I'll take a look at them this morning.

We've decided to forget about the driveshaft until I can get the truck back home where I have the benefits of time and techs that I trust. Obviously going to the dealership while on vacation is not high on the "gotta do that" list, so we're going to try to minimize the pain. Hopefully we can get the diff locked from the transfer case and we will limp it home on Saturday where I can let it sit around and wait for a driveshaft.

Does anyone have anything to recommend about taking it to Land Rover Orlando (i.e. any good techs to talk to, etc.)?

Thanks again to everyone who is so generous with their time, knowledge, and resources!
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

The dealer is gonna give you a fisting. Try Bill @ trl on your way home. Not sure if its on your way but>>> Hes a good rescource

http://www.tntlr.com/
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

A machine shop can rebuild it in a flash.....just a thought.
(if its just the bearing)
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:00 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quick update:

I took my truck to Land Rover Orlando, and Hector there was really a great guy and got me a new driveshaft put in with haste. The truck drove great after I got it back, but then on the way home I developed a fuel problem. It kept dying at speed while under throttle. I would just lose power and the rpm's would fall until it eventually died. It took about 20 hours to get it home, but now I'm back safe and sound in Tennessee. As soon as I get some time I'm going to fix this problem, but until then, I'm out of my truck.

On the bright side, I had a great vacation and caught close to 100 fish.
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:49 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepsoup
Quick update:

I took my truck to Land Rover Orlando, and Hector there was really a great guy and got me a new driveshaft put in with haste. The truck drove great after I got it back, but then on the way home I developed a fuel problem. It kept dying at speed while under throttle. I would just lose power and the rpm's would fall until it eventually died. It took about 20 hours to get it home, but now I'm back safe and sound in Tennessee. As soon as I get some time I'm going to fix this problem, but until then, I'm out of my truck.

On the bright side, I had a great vacation and caught close to 100 fish.
Glad you made it back Chris, I take it LR Orlando didnt bend you over on a replacement driveshaft. Any idea whats causing the power loss?

And by fish, do you mean fish fish or ....
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:36 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Glad you made it back Chris, I take it LR Orlando didnt bend you over on a replacement driveshaft. Any idea whats causing the power loss?

And by fish, do you mean fish fish or ....
Well, at least they were gentle. I have a suspicion that the power loss is coming from a fuel problem. I tried to replace the filter on the road, but the bolts were seized up, so I'm tackling that tomorrow.

And by fish... I do mean fish fish.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions