Need an Odometer for a '97 D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

Need an Odometer for a '97 D-90

The LED display on my odometer is intermittent. I would like one that works. I have 107K miles on mine. Is there any option cheaper than the $400 charged by Rover's North? That begs a larger question: is there a junkyard for Defenders? I would love the contact info for such a place if it exists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I would call George at Rovers Down South. He used to have one or 2 a while back.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844
That begs a larger question: is there a junkyard for Defenders? I would love the contact info for such a place if it exists.
Big Sky Rover seems to have a large supply of Defenders in various states of disrepair sitting in a big field in Montana. Not a junkyard per se....

http://www.roverpartsused.com/

Anyone dealt with them?
I think a real score would be if someone is an auto insurance industry insider, and had access to a database of wrecked cars for sale, and found a total loss Defender for really, really cheap. Anyone have experience doing that? When I was living in Austin, TX a year ago there was a repair shop down the street with a 94 black Defender with a destroyed engine and smashed passenger side fender. Kinda rough looking....I think the customer decided not to fix it and sold it for $8,000. Then it appeared a few weeks later on the local Craig's list (with bodywork fixed but bad engine) for $13,000. I personally passed on the D90 because I had just purchased a perfectly good 95 ST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Do business with Big Sky Rovers at your own peril. I'm sure there are plenty of threads about how much that guy sux.

And there is already guy who has the inside line on the insurance auction thing, he's the guy that runs maxcar.net in GA. He buys the trucks and sells them for top dollar still wrecked. I'd sure like to see someone able penetrate the stranglehold he seems to have on the wrecked defender market.
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:57 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Is there a way to set/program a new Odometer to read the actual miles that is on the car?
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'd just buy a VDO speedo. Basically the same thing.
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Is there a way to set/program a new Odometer to read the actual miles that is on the car?
Yes. You'll need a benchtop powersupply (for +12v) and square wave generator that will put out an amplitude of 12v. This can be a function generator or you can build your own with a 555 timer IC and a pot. The speedo is set to the number of pulses/mile (http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-511-011-348.pdf) depending upon the transducer in the transmission. Basically, you'll want to set the generator frequency to a rate that maxes out the speedo (120mph?) and then let it sit until your desired mileage is achieved.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:02 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
Yes. You'll need a benchtop powersupply (for +12v) and square wave generator that will put out an amplitude of 12v. This can be a function generator or you can build your own with a 555 timer IC and a pot. The speedo is set to the number of pulses/mile (http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-511-011-348.pdf) depending upon the transducer in the transmission. Basically, you'll want to set the generator frequency to a rate that maxes out the speedo (120mph?) and then let it sit until your desired mileage is achieved.
uhhhhh... I have no idea what you just said.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:07 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Well, to summarize: power it up on the workbench and send it a stream of pulses for days (or weeks) until it reads what you want it to.

Old September 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Are you sure it won't automatically jump to it based on the BCU? I know the other rovers have multiple ECU's that store the mileage and if you replace a part it will default the new part to match the others, or if there are only 2 parts, it will default to whichever is higher. Otherwise I know that a dealer can do it with the testbook.
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
uhhhhh... I have no idea what you just said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
LOL, you lost me after Yes.

Ok, so it's possible, just not as simple as plugin it in and setting it. I assume based upon the above description, a shop probably wouldn't have the means to readily do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Are you sure it won't automatically jump to it based on the BCU? I know the other rovers have multiple ECU's that store the mileage and if you replace a part it will default the new part to match the others, or if there are only 2 parts, it will default to whichever is higher. Otherwise I know that a dealer can do it with the testbook.
Testbook? what is this testbook you speak of?
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Wow Chance...that would do it. I never thought about it that way, but it theoretically would work.
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Yah, I know of one guy that's actually done just that. I haven't actually done so, but I suspect I will have to someday as the odo in my 97 is erratic at times. BTW, I don't think the mileage is stored in the ECU....but I could certainly be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Matter of fact, I'm wrong most times at home.

Old September 13th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, I asked a tech about it b/c we had a '97 in that the odo didn't work on and he said it is no problem to put a new one in and have it read the right amt. I am not sure if he meant that you have to do it with the testbook (LR special $40k computer for interfacing with the cars) or not. I know we had a debacle one time when a tech installed a new BCU in a disco II but someone had already installed it and returned it in a car with 90k miles. When he put it in it automatically defaulted the gauge cluster to also read 90k. Then when he put the orig. BCU back in to try to correct it, the gauge cluster automatically burned the old BCM to match b/c it is set to automatically default to the highest mileage! That was costly, the dealer can't even do anything about that except to install a brand new BCM and Cluster and put a sticker in the door saying that it was replaced at X number of miles. Then it just reads 0 and starts counting over! Costly learning experience...
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844
The LED display on my odometer is intermittent.
You mean "LCD". It's a common problem with those VDO speedos used in the '97's. 'haven't found a reliable fix, other than replacing it.
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

I could have sworn that I read a fix for this very problem on this website somewhere.
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Taylor
I could have sworn that I read a fix for this very problem on this website somewhere.
Good call Matt, http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3035

follow-up thread http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=odometer+fix

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, d-90