Defender Source Forum banner

Need Advice WRT Replacing 110 Capping Corner Brackets

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  san3012 
#1 ·
Greetings,

After many years of searching for a 90/110 I have finally purchased a well-loved 1992 110. She is in really good shape with a little rust on the door bottoms and some rust on what YRM calls the capping corner bracket. I have also seen this part called the "rear end door corner" or "rear bed corner trim. Believe Land Rover part # is ASR2449.

I would like to replace this part before it corrodes any further. My question is can I remove the four rivets and slide the piece out from under the tub capping and slide the replacement back under the capping without out having to go through the hassle of removing the tub capping? The tub cappings themselves appear to be rust free.

Also, I need advice on painting this replacement part. My options are a pre-primed part (Rovers North) or a galvanized part (YRM). I've searched the forum here and have found very informative threads regarding painting options. My issue is that I currently live in Uganda so my paint prep and paint options are very limited.

#2 ·
Is it damage sustained by rust or rust discoloration? Mine and many I've seen have discoloration and we call it patina. I warn you once you brighten up something on a Rover it makes everything else look 10x worse.

Maybe the rust, if that's what it is, can be managed with preventative measures. Light sanding and oiling without replacing.

#3 ·
Welcome aboard.
If it is not too much trouble, can you take some digital photos of what you are referring too?
That will greatly help with the advice.
You may want to throw in a picture of yourself Aaron.

#4 ·
yes, you can drill out the rivets from the top and front and the piece can be slid out. When you replace it you may have to redrill holes into the new item after aligning it with your paintwork and existing capping as the new holes may not be exactly in place. Then rivet as normal with closed end rivets

#6 ·
Thank you all for the quick responses.

I have considered installing the galvanized piece for the time being and then paint it when I take her to the States in about 18 months.

Ed as a follow-up, do you recommend that I use foam tape (I was looking at YRMs single sided adhesive foam tape) or something similar between the new piece and tub body?

Is it damage sustained by rust or rust discoloration? Mine and many I've seen have discoloration and we call it patina. I warn you once you brighten up something on a Rover it makes everything else look 10x worse.

Maybe the rust, if that's what it is, can be managed with preventative measures. Light sanding and oiling without replacing.
Unfortunately the rust has perforated the steel. I have thought about treating the rust with corroseal as a temporary fix and then replace the part at a later date.

Welcome aboard.
If it is not too much trouble, can you take some digital photos of what you are referring too?
That will greatly help with the advice.
You may want to throw in a picture of yourself Aaron.
Thanks Robert. The pictures I have are not very helpful. I will not be able to get better pictures of the vehicle until this weekend.

yes, you can drill out the rivets from the top and front and the piece can be slid out. When you replace it you may have to redrill holes into the new item after aligning it with your paintwork and existing capping as the new holes may not be exactly in place. Then rivet as normal with closed end rivets
Matthew, thank you. I was hoping I could do a simple drill and replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.