Need Advice: Registering imported Defender in Denver, CO - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 6th, 2016, 01:25 PM
LRColorado
John
1990 Defender (200 TDI)

Registry
Need Advice: Registering imported Defender in Denver, CO

I recently imported a 1990 Defender from England.

Pre-purchase I spoke to Denver DMV Technical Center to find out the requirements to register the vehicle in Denver, CO. They told me that the vehicle needed to be original (engine, matching VIN, etc.) and that Port of Entry Customs (Houston) would need to stamp Form 7501 and Form 3461.

I worked with an Import Broker and they instructed Houston Customs to stamp these two forms. When the truck cleared customs they provided my Broker the stamped Form HS-7, but they did not stamp Form 7501 and Form 3461. The Broker sent via carrier the forms back to Houston Customs 3 times and called them. Houston Customs replied they cannot stamp the forms without having the truck in front of them.

So I have a vehicle that has cleared customs, a stamped Form HS-7, unstamped Form 7501, unstamped Form 3461, Form EPA 3520-1, and Customs API Activity document.

I called Denver Customs to see if they could stamp the docs since the are all part of the same organization and have access to Custom's Paperless System. I spoke to a Supervisor and he said since the truck came through Houston they can not stamp my paperwork.

I have an appointment this week with the Denver DMV Technical Center to get my vehicle inspected for registration and I am anticipating issues due to the incorrect forms being stamped.

I am not going to drive 2000 miles to be in the Houston Customs office for 30 seconds to get two pieces of paper stamped.

Not interested in the "would of" or "should of" comments.

Any useful suggestions on how to "work with" Denver DMV Technical Center to have a positive outcome when I go in this week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2016, 03:51 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I would try to register it with just the one form stamped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 6th, 2016, 04:02 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yeah, see if it works to register it as is. Then go through the hoops.

If you worked with an agent, he should be the one taking care of this for you. I would think that his job is to see to it that these forms are stamped, his job is not done till they are. Am I expecting too much?

By the way, does the truck check out as original with good numbers and such?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2016, 04:07 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
This is why I advice against brokers at the end they don't care. I tried it once and the broker screwed up royally not worth it. In Newark they stamp everything including foreign reg, only pain in the neck is their expert. He pretends to know but is rather clueless in fact he tried to get me to say the wrong thing with his trick questions.
Old February 6th, 2016, 04:13 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
what were his "trick" questions?
Old February 6th, 2016, 04:16 PM
LRColorado
John
1990 Defender (200 TDI)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Yeah, see if it works to register it as is. Then go through the hoops.

If you worked with an agent, he should be the one taking care of this for you. I would think that his job is to see to it that these forms are stamped, his job is not done till they are. Am I expecting too much?

By the way, does the truck check out as original with good numbers and such?
You are correct. When I spoke to Customs in Denver they said go back to your Broker they have to finish the job. I did and they tried one more time and apologized stating they have never run into this issue before. Customs and the Broker are very nice and sorry but I need action towards a solution.

Yes the truck checked out and was cleared after an intensive inspection. I think they had it for about a week.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice, defender, import