Need a new D90 engine - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 30th, 2006, 10:43 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

i love the purist attitude that seems to go out the window with the h2.8...

is it that the sbc is cheap to source can be found in nearly every junk yard in america and offers more power/accesories for less money then anything else that makes people so jealous? i'm thinking of going the Lt1 nv4500 route. i've already done one lt1 conversion in my fj40, so i'm rather intimate with the motor, i figure i'll be sourcing all the parts over time, i've been seeing the nv4500's selling on ebay for ~1500 and my brother can hook me up with a complete lt1 with under 50k for about 1500... buy some new motor and trans mounts get to measuring and welding! ive seen the nv4500 d-90 transfercase mated together in the h2.8 thread so i know i can buy that from someone, the other problems will be drive shafts but that can be solved locally as well... i'm an electrical/computer engineer so the wiring wont be much of a problem either. I just don't see this costing more 8k tops...

too bad the 2.8 is just so awfully expensive! I'm in aruba now and in my travels here is saw a 2.8L diesel isuzu truck for sale for 3k US dollars, and had dreams of buying it and shipping the motor home selling the chassis locally... of course i wasn't sure if it was the same motor or not... i have to make friends with the locals...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

When I do mine, I'm also looking to go the SBC route for a few reasons. One of the bigger ones is cost and availability, not just of the engine itself but also parts and accessories. Eventually, parts sources here in the States are going to start drying up for the 3.9's.... it has been 10 years since they've been made after all. But a SBC will have parts available for a lot longer.

The greater choice for transmissions is also another plus for me. Especially since I have the LT-77 clunk-box that is probably going to need replacing eventually.

I'm not too worried about being a purist on this one, after all.... the 3.9 is just a bored out Buick anyways, so it's just swapping one GM design for another to me.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

120K is nothin'. My wife's Disco has 225K on it, and runs just fine. 'must be all that synthetic oil I've poured into it all its life. Anyway, have the engine checked out, it may not be on its last legs.

In Seattle, you could contact Gordín Perrott, gansservices@earthlink.net, or 206.498.6905. He is, or at least was, president of the Pacific Coast Rover Club, and does work on LR's. In Portland, Doug Shipman is also good, as was mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2006, 03:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

4.6 short block and a few select parts and you should be good to go. Ashcroft has NEW genuine 4.6 short blocks for 1600UKP. Maybe a dealer here can do even better. Personally I would get one out of a wrecked 4.6 disco II or Rangie, slap some new rod bearings in it and run it.
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:01 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

Quote:

Personally I would get one out of a wrecked 4.6 disco II or Rangie, slap some new rod bearings in it and run it.
I even know where you can get one of those too! The 4.6 D2 is very powerful, solid, and strong.
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:48 PM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

DAP has done several 4.6 swaps and also does a 5 litre torquemonster conversion.
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Plus you have an ad on this site for $3995 new 4.6 short blocks . . . with free gasket set.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, engine