Need a New battery.. Optima? - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
There are three criteria you should look at when choosing a battery. Type, size and weight. Somewhere way down the list is price as the battery is almost as important a safety feature as tires and brakes, so you don't want to buy short.
Batteries are generally categorized as either starting or deep cycle. The difference is that with start batteries, the lead plates are often open grids which provides greater surface area, as opposed to deep cycle which have flat plates. The grids allow rapid discharge during start operation where high amp loads in short bursts are better. Deep cycle batteries are presumably discharged at slow, low amp rates, so they don't need to release energy quickly.

Type: the choice is nowadays between traditional wet cell and either gel or AGM (absorbed glass mat). Wet cells have the advantage of being readily available and are cheaper to purchase than the others. The gel and AGM batteries need no attention other than their charging needs, and will usually outlast a wet cell. These can also be installed on their side or ends which give more flexibility in installation.
Size: The factory will usually install the smallest battery that they can get away with. If you look in the battery tray often the battery that comes in the car from the dealer is quite a bit smaller than the tray. Buy the biggest battery that will fit regardless of what came as OE. the reason for this is:
Weight: You want the heaviest battery you can find. Why? Lead. More lead equals more reserve capacity which means greater storage. When you are at the battery store, put a start battery and a deep cycle battery of the same size side by side and try lifting each one. You'll find the deep cycle is far heavier. This is better because a battery will last far longer the heavier it is. By not discharging it beyond 80%, you can almost double the life of the battery. Adding a second battery of the same size and type will more than double the life expectancy. Less discharge equals longer life.
In addition a heavier battery will hold a charge when a lighter weight one will fail. A battery is considered dead when it drops below 12.2 V.

If you compare spiral batteries to flat plate batteries, you will find that the spirals will be anywhere from 10-30 percent lighter weight. There is just no way to fit as much lead in a cylinder as in a box.

Top quality batteries are made by East Penn (Deka) Trojan, and Rolls/surette in the USA. Cabelas, Sears and Odyssey are chinese made. Optima is made in Mexico.

------ Follow up post added March 10th, 2010 09:09 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Been happy with my PC2150 in the D2, but... once I have recovered from the 110 reman financially I am considering making a NiMH cell pack to replace the lead-acid entirely. One problem with lead-acid is they are really only useful for the first 10% of their capacity, then they start getting damaged. With NiMH you can completely discharge them but for a limited number of times. I am most likely to end up with a hybrid setup of a lead-acid for the starter battery and flat-packed NiMH cells for aux services where being able to do a total discharge is very important. Solar cars use NiMH for the same reason and because you're packing AA cells (yes, nuts eh) together you can make them quite thin and bolt them in place out of the way. Lighter too.
I think you will experience recharging issues with two different types of battery. Lead acid batteries have not gone out of favor for the simple fact that they do their job quite well. If you need lots of off grid juice for camping, get a little honda genny. For your truck, keep the lead.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Top quality batteries are made by East Penn (Deka) Trojan, and Rolls/surette in the USA. Cabelas, Sears and Odyssey are chinese made. Optima is made in Mexico.
I can't vouch for the batteries mentioned above but for product manufacturing in general there is no correlation between country of manufacture and quality. High and low quality products are made in all of the countries mentioned.
Old December 14th, 2010, 05:19 PM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

Question

Bringing an old thread back...

So what's the final answer for battery size??? Some are saying 34, some 31 and some 29?????

Interstate says:

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-MT-34%28Automotive+Truck%29.aspx?dsNavigation=Ns~prod uct+Type|101|1|%2cN~21-4294493597-4294492777-2147384750&Title=Mega-Tron+34+Automotive+Battery+++75+months+++700+CCA

Sears says

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=L1

autobatteries.com says

http://www.autobatteries.com/selecto...ear=20&brand=7

please.. anyone anyone? Bueller!

Gotta buy something in the morning! and 2 of them that is...

Thanks all,

~Ji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2010, 06:45 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

honestly I have had 2 different red-top and 1 yellow top optimas in 3 different trucks and I never had one fail me that wasn't my fault (leaving lights on overnight, etc). It might sound like a label-slut comment due to their price and (lately) their Monster-cable esque (full disclosure: I blindly hate everything made by Monster) draw in the audio community, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I even had one sit totally dead on a garage floor that I forgot about for 6 months, I charged it for a day or 2 at a time on 1amp trickle and its still being used (as far as I know) 2 years later by the new owner of my old CJ.

I am by no means an expert on this.
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijalicious View Post
So what's the final answer for battery size??? Some are saying 34, some 31 and some 29?????
My method has always been to buy the largest that will fit, regardless of what dealers spec.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:56 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Although I have had my optima for 4 years now, mostly with a battery kill switch to off when not in use...it has held up very well with sometimes a few months have passed before I can use the D90..and it starts up everytime.

Cosco is a very good option, you cant beat there return policy and warrantee.
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
My method has always been to buy the largest that will fit, regardless of what dealers spec.
exactly.

"Larger batteries will generally provide more of everything- cranking amps, reserve capacity, etc... However, because many of these batteries are used in commercial applications or abusive, deep-cycle applications, the warranties can sometimes have numerous exclusions, like minimum voltage levels or a limited number of cycles and shorter warranty periods."

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:40 AM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

So basically, if I'm doing a dual setup in my '94 D90.... you're saying measure the box underneath my seat and find approxmately the 2 largest batteries that fit comfortably with the solenoid?
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:42 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Measure the space the battery will go in. Look up the largest battery size that will fit by group here. Go buy it.
You sure you can't stuff a Group 27 in there? Pretty common size, just taller than the 34.

Are you coming to the Happy Hour tomorrow? We can take a look at your hole.....Oops I didn't mean for it to come out that way.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
two big a$$ed group 49's are the biggest that will fit.

I put one of the deka agm group 49's in my truck and it spins the hell out of the tdi engine

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Biggest batteries that will fit with the best warranty available., regardless of name-brand. The Kirkland brand batteries at Costco are actually not bad batteries and have a 3-year replacement warranty. The Sears PM batteries are good too, and have a nice warranty.
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:24 AM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

Did you say happy hour??
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Biggest batteries that will fit with the best warranty available., regardless of name-brand. The Kirkland brand batteries at Costco are actually not bad batteries and have a 3-year replacement warranty. The Sears PM batteries are good too, and have a nice warranty.
The Deka group 49 agm battery I just bought has a 6 year warranty. I though that was absurd but closed the deal for me.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery