Need a New battery.. Optima? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

you may want to try Costco website for the rigth part number.
On a side note and not to high jack you thread - has anyone gone with the really small race batteries that the sell through summit or jegs. I would like to get more storage space in the drivers side under seat locker and a smaller battery would do the trick. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

My yellow top never has let me down, even after storing with a cut-off switch for months. Always starts right up even on the coldest days, even if coldest days for me is 48 Deg.
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
flynn23
Scott Kozicki
97 NAS D90 SW

I have to chime in here too. I run a dual red/yellow in my D90 that has NEVER let me down, including leaving my cabin lights on at the airport for 2 days! But I did have a yellow top in my Lotus that died after a hot summer. Tried recharging it and about blew the garage up. The top was cracked and bubbling and was leaking out green smoke! Looking over this thread, the Costco deal is very hard to beat. Optima's have gone up in price in the last year to the point where I replaced the warrenteed one in the Lotus with a $45 jobby from NTB and spent the difference on a fun night out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Well, I do need a new battery. My Exide has finally died. I think I'm going to try the Diehard Platinum made by Odyssey.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850065000P

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:50 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I have two red tops in parallel in my diesel 90. They are 10 years old and I can still leave the truck for a few months at a time and it will start no problem. They have seen a lot of winching and even spent one winter fully discharged due to a light being left on, it was tricky getting them to charge after that but once I got them going again they have been fine. I would buy them again in a second if I needed to replace them.
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I initially used the battery that came with my V8 before I re-powered to a 300tdi. I originally left the factory battery in place (to power the tdi), then changed to a red top. The original factory battery (Varta) was deffinantly bigger and had more CCA's than the red top. My red top has been in use since 2002, and still works about the same, yet is NOT as stong cranking as the original stock battery (due to lower CCA of the red top). Battery output is bound by physics. If you want more CCA, physically the battery will have to be larger.

Battery prices went way up last year due to dramatic price increases for lead. Lead prices, as with all commodities have come down, but I'll bet battery prices have remained high because of when the lead was purchased...last fall.

I know quite a bit about batteries as I am off grid and bought $6k worth last year for a new solar system. There are basically 3 types of batteries on the market. Optima's are of a type known as Absorbed Glass Mat or AGM. Your Dad's old car battery (that required you to add water) are called flooded. And then there are Gel Batteries, they make great stationary batteries and do well in cold climates. Each have their benefits and short comings. The East Penn Deka site is a good source of battery information. http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0139.pdf This is more than you would ever want to know about batteries.
There are other battery technologies out there, but too high priced for regular everyday users.

Most current day "maintenace free" batteries are AGM, either of flat plate technology or spirally wound cells. Most cars have the flat plate AGM's, which if not abused, should last 5+ years. AGM's are truely amazing batteries as long as they are not over charged. one good session of overcharing can distroy them! The old flooded would only last a couple, maybe three... if you made sure the plates were always covered with water.

Enjoy, Dennis
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:45 AM
midturtle
Wes
'95 90 SW #234

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to re-charge a battery that has been dead for a while (3-4 months)? I've heard you can jolt them for a few minutes to see if they will hold a charge, then trickle charge for the next few days? Thanks.
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Never tried it, but see this thread

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...vive+batteries
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by midturtle
Does anyone have any advice on the best way to re-charge a battery that has been dead for a while (3-4 months)? I've heard you can jolt them for a few minutes to see if they will hold a charge, then trickle charge for the next few days? Thanks.
Get a light bulb and stick it inline between the charger and the battery. This gives the charger a load and will let it push current into the battery without tripping. Most chargers trip out when connected to a zero voltage battery. Some of the nicer ones can deal with it, but most won't.
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have given up on optimas. In the last year I lost three of them.
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I'm running dual Exide Orbital Marine Starting/Deep cycle batteries. No problems and it has been three years with hard use including one full discharge.

Group 34. Very similar to a Blue top Optima but cheaper and with a good reputation.... I just looked online and for some reason they are much cheaper in Canada, around $155 USD.

http://www.exide.com/products/marine...eep_cycle.html
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

I purchased an Opitma Red top and Yellow top in 2002, and they run "combined" with a Hell Roaring Isolator. My Red top started to not take a charge with a drop off in output. I put the tester on it showed only 11.4 volts, with the Yellow top above 12.
As I purchased at a Batteries Plus, they then checked with their load tester and the voltage dropped, so out it came.
The "rest of the story" .... In 2002 the Optima’s were manufactured in Aurora, Colorado...?? I am assuming due to the address on the tag, and no other "made in" info. The current units are of Mexico manufacture (surprise....HA).
When I purchased in 2002, the warranty was 36 months replace and 84 Months pro rate...... now Redtops are 36 month Replace and 72 Months prorate.
It stumped them for a while as their systems would not spit out a 84 Month pro rate calculation, so after a call to "oz" they pushed my purchase date up a year to make the system work... and I got a
$13.52 credit... so the Price Check in Colorado for Red Tops (Group 34/78DT) ....... $185.99
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Sears DieHard Platinum PM-1. It's said to be made by EnerSys, who makes Odyssey's batteries. I would have preferred to have bought an Odyssey from EE but my Optima crapped out in a parking lot on a Saturday afternoon. I needed something really quickly, so I looked around and found out about this battery. I'm not sure if it's absolutely identical to the PC2150 but it's close enough and if you're stranded without a spare Odyssey, it's a decent bet and widely available.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850131000P
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:00 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

thinking about getting an Optima Deep cycle blue top for a diesel disco. I see opinions vary greatly on the Optima brand and I would probably choose the sears platinum except I can get the Optima's at wholesale prices and they have a $25 mail in rebate going until August 31.
so the question is, is the blue top deep cycle suitable as a starting and deep cycle for the 300 tdi? I want the Deep cycle just because I run my Engel pretty much 24/7 in my Disco.
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Sears DieHard Platinum PM-1. It's said to be made by EnerSys, who makes Odyssey's batteries.
And it's said by Enersys.
Some folks are claiming on the internet that the Platinum is a lower quality version of the Odyssey so I put in a call to EnerSys and they confirmed that the only difference between a Diehard Platinum and the matching Odyssey is the color of the case and labeling.
Obviously there are a lot more models of Odyssey than the Platinum, but if you find a Platinum that meets your needs, you should have no worries.

Prior to getting a Platinum I ran Exide Orbitals because the specs and warranty were better than Optima. Plus with Optimas history for the recent past, well.....

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:26 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have been using Optima's for years, I have been very happy. If you can get one for cost, and a rebate, do it. Hell, get two. I run two in both my 90's, and my Yukon.

Old August 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ive had one go down on me, they prorated it thats why I got another. Its going to be the Diehard from here on out...
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Sears.. Diehard fancy sealed premium whatever.. Same as the Oddessy...
Keeps my fridge and other house battery stuff going for five+ days and still sits at 12+ volts..
Once the interstate dies the "coach" will get one too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Been happy with my PC2150 in the D2, but... once I have recovered from the 110 reman financially I am considering making a NiMH cell pack to replace the lead-acid entirely. One problem with lead-acid is they are really only useful for the first 10% of their capacity, then they start getting damaged. With NiMH you can completely discharge them but for a limited number of times. I am most likely to end up with a hybrid setup of a lead-acid for the starter battery and flat-packed NiMH cells for aux services where being able to do a total discharge is very important. Solar cars use NiMH for the same reason and because you're packing AA cells (yes, nuts eh) together you can make them quite thin and bolt them in place out of the way. Lighter too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:23 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Does anyone have the part number for the Diehard Platinum that will fit ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery