Need a little help! No get up and go. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
roverrookie
John Forster
94 D90

Unhappy Need a little help! No get up and go.

Well, I finally have my 94 Black D90 on the road again after about 6k in mechanical repairs last year after buying it from a friend who never did a thing to it in 6 years. I was driving home last night and getting going in 2nd gear and it sputtered a bit getting going. Didn't notice it again until this AM going to work. It seems like when I hit the gas it doesn't want to go. Especially when I get into the high end of a gear, it just wont get going. It's very sluggish and sputters a bit, with very little acceleration. Does it sound like the tranny? I'm a golf pro so I trade golf advice if it will help I have been taking it to Land Rover Huntington (Long Island), but I do not have much trust in them not ripping me off. I just want to hear what it might be before I take it in somewhere. Any LI guys with mechanics they like? BTW I spent about two hours checking the site threads to not be redundant here, sorry if I missed something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Other than making sure all the air intake hoses are seated and tight, the next and cheapest thing you should should look at is the fuel filter. Its right up under the passenger side on the chassis rail, and you should be able to easily see if its been changed (i.e. shiny and new vs. old and cruddy). If the fittings are rusted you can cut the hoses and use a BMW filter that has hose barbs on it instead of screw-type fittings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

John are you saying you start in 2nd vs 1st?
Does it just do it in 2nd and no other gear?

easy things to check.

Coil wires + and -
Distributor cap
Distributor wires
vacuum lines(hear air )
fuses (make sure they are in tight and not corroded

and as Jim said check or just change the gas filter. Its like $12 from ADAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
roverrookie
John Forster
94 D90

Thanks Ron. Yes, I generally start in 2nd vs 1st. It is in all gears that it is does it. I hit the gas pedal and it is very slow to get going.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

It is important to isolate the problem to the engine or the transmission/drivetrain, ie is it a problem intrinsic to the engine or is it a problem getting the engine power to the wheels?

When you hit the gas in second or third do the "revs" go up and it just doesn't respond at the wheels? If so, that could be the clutch.

Does it idle rough? In neutral when you hit the throttle do the revs go up smoothly or does is "sputter"?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
I Know this may sound strange - But I have heard of it happening from more than one source.... If your catalitic converters break up inside their housing they can and will clog the exhaust flow -causing poor excelleration and impead engine power output. (The reduced engine performance may happen slowly - or rapidly) Your engine idles fine - no missing or other symptoms. The way to check on this problem to is to lightly tap your cats with your knuckle (not a hammer or other blunt instrument). If they are broken up you will hear a wrattle inside. You don't want to hit the cats with something too hard because you can cause a premature failure. If the PO didn't take good care of his truck he may have neglected to use fuel grades adequate for the truck - I am not sure but I would bet that catalytic converters are sensitive to the type and temps of exhaust gases from the engine. (Since it is a chemical / heat reaction that makes the cats do their job, using a non recommended fuel grade may potentially dammage the cats). I am not an engine mechanic ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn a couple weeks ago!!!

Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
roverrookie
John Forster
94 D90

Len,
Thanks for the feedback. I did have the Cat-back exhaust changed last fall when I bought it from my friend. He thought the cluch was going but the mechanic said it was OK. Still laughing at the Holiday Inn crack, very well done! Engine idles OK, but I did just start hearing a sound like a fan was pinging. Not so sure if it's related though. I'm gonna go knock the cat a little.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Did it just start happening recently? Or has it been doing it all along?

Did it start just after filling up the gas? Also sounds like possibly the timing as well.

If I wasn't so buried right now in my own car issues (swapping harmonic balancer on the wife's vette, and my own defender is stumbling too), I'd swing over and take a peek.

I really haven't found any mechanics that know the Defender very well yet. Honest mechanics I can recommend, but not ones that know the truck.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions