Need a Distributor for a 1995 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 29th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Darrin Witt
1995 Defender 90
Need a Distributor for a 1995

Hey Guys and Ladies,

I need to find a distributor for a 1995. I emailed Mallory and this is what they emailed me back. Any suggestions. I did a search about two weeks ago and did not find any info. As most of you know the LR Distributors are not available. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Question: Brand: Mallory
Do you make a distributor for a 3.9 V8 Land Rover.This is a 1995 manual.

Vehicle/Engine Specs:
Make: Land Rover Model: Defender 90 Year: 1995
Engine Type: 3.9 Liter V8 Transmission: Manual
Modifications: none
Discussion Topics: distributors

The Unilite vacuum advance distributor for this vehicle is P/N 4768901. However, this distributor will only work in a carbureted motor.

Old August 29th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
It definitely will work, a few folks have done it. You will need to swap your existing drive gear onto the new distributor, but otherwise you're good.

I'll stop here though, to let the folks who have done the swap chime in.... I'm planning on it, but haven't done it yet.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 29th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
I think I have a stock one if you decide to stay factory or need to have your D90 running while you convert the parts for the Mallory...let me know if you need it and I'll look for it.
Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:24 PM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Hans is right the mallory unilite will fit fine with no mods except the gear change. You should change the coil to a high power unit, I used a MSD blaster because they are cheep and have some juice, but any coil will work.
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
I have done the Mallory unit with the stock coil and everything works great. You can go with the high energy coil if you choose, but it is not the requisite.
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Heath Ahrens
I had my stock coil melt soon after switching to the mallory.
The guy from century performance said that the bosch coils are crap, and he has seen the rover coils melt with the mallory unilite a few times.
It is a big stinky mess too.
I would keep a spare coil on hand.
Also, make sure you use an external resistor (they don't really make that clear); it is very important to not screw up the distributor.
The resistor is cheap.
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:26 AM
1995 SW #487/500
What is the gear that needs to be changed? Any other coil suggestions?
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Heath Ahrens
The drive gear on the distributor. It is pretty simple to do. You need to use a punch to take out the roll pin out of the old distributor so the gear will slide off. Then use a center punch to mark the spot that need to be drilled on the new distributor. Make sure to use a feeler gauge and washer between the gear and the distributor. You need a little bit of clearance so the gears have a little backlash. This is not an exact science. Measure the space on your current distributor and use that clearance. Then mark a center punch. Drill the hole. Preferably with a drill press. Clean off the shavings. Mount up your gear and washer and hammer in a pin (gently). Now you're done. Feel free to correct me if I am missing something.
I'm still half asleep.

Follow-up Post:

Oh, for the coil. That is not an exact science either. Just get a MSD blaster. I've heard of that one. You will be able to get it at any autoparts store. Make sure you use a resistor in the line going to the + side of the coil (I think don't quote me). The red wire from the mallory unilite. This will make sure you don't fry it. You will not use the stock wires or amplifier thing. It is really only a three wire job. Not difficult.
Also, I recommend not getting an expensive jacobs coil. I have only heard bad things about them.
I know they advertise like hell too. If you want a better choice of a performance coil go to a speed shop. They will know what you are talking about.
MSD makes a blaster "high vibration" coil.
I would look at that one.
It can probably take a beating.
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Vern Lawrence
1983/ 110
Go to this web site. It is a British web site but they tell you how to change the gear. It is a very good web site and they have been working on rover engines for years.

I am going to use them when I change my distributor. Being in the Air Force stationed in England I will buy the Mallory from the US because it cost less than to buy it in England. And then send it to RPI to modify the shaft to prevent the oil leak that can occur between the distributor and the engine (as described on the web site). May have them do the gear at the same time

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

1995, 95, distributor