Navigation install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Milo
chris glynn
95 yellow D90

Navigation install

I'm putting an in dash nav/dvd in and it says I need to hook up a vehicle speed sensor to cruise control. Has anyone looked into this? If so how can I do it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2004, 11:25 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Can't help there, but isn't earier just to put Garmin street pilot?
Old September 4th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Tom Morrison
Tom Morrison
94 NAS 90 (300 TDI)

As I understand it, a lot of automotive GPS systems use an input from the vehicle's speed sensor to provide dead reckoning if satelite reception is lost if you are going through a tunnel, or surrounded by buildings that block the bulk of the horizon. I believe this includes the street pilot series from Garmin.

They may allow you to run without the speed sensor, if you aren't going to be in bad reception areas that often it shouldn't matter. Check the manual for specifics.

If you want to install a speed sensor on your 95, you should be able to find an aftermarket pickup, that detects a magnet attached to the trucks driveshaft.

Hope that helps, Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Milo
chris glynn
95 yellow D90

Thanks guys, ya yousef its alot easier, but I get really good deals on a kenwood system's and it if its to easy then I have no excuse to hang out with my truck all day. Tom can you recommend one to get?
Old September 4th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Tom Morrison
Tom Morrison
94 NAS 90 (300 TDI)

Not sure where you can pick one up. This company builds them. http://www.magsensors.com/
It looks like they fit on the speedo cable output at the xfer case. You could always use it as an excuse to install a cruise control kit.

Cheers, Tom
Old September 14th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Milo
chris glynn
95 yellow D90

Nav update!!!

just finished installing and works good, I do need to hook up the VSS wire to track properly. Might eventually install in the in-dash compartment, we'll see how this goes. Thanks for the input
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00568 2.JPG
Views:	1553
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1454   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00569 2.JPG
Views:	1509
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1455  

Old January 26th, 2005, 05:57 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Nav

Can I ask you how much your system was?

Thanks
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:14 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Hmm.. interesting setup. Have you noticed any issues with shifting and your hand maybe hitting the LCD?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:17 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Hmm.. interesting setup. Have you noticed any issues with shifting and your hand maybe hitting the LCD?
That's sortof why I decided not to put my in-car computer screen in the Tuffy - that, and I wouldn't be able to rotate it left/right because of how the stereo mount is 'sunk' in the Tuffy.

I'm in the process of integrating a 7" in-dash touchscreen with a computer running Linux and (free) DashPC software (http://www.dashpc.com). I'll post pics when I'm done. My only fear is the security, or lack thereof, of the LCD touchscreen being in the dash. I'm still not sure if I'm going to just hookup to my existing hand-held Garmin, or buy a dedicated PCMCIA or CF GPS card. I prototyped the system running from a laptop (cables everywhere) and it was pretty damn cool.
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:57 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I installed a 7" touch screen for my Kenwood GPS, I have it installed in my SW between the fresh air vents. I moved the 3 buttons that controll the rear wiper, wash and defrost to the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. It works out to be a great location, very visable and easy to operate. Having the unit mounted in to tuffy seems like it would tough to look at. You really have to take your eyes off the road to view. I too was concerned about theft so I sprayed the metal frame of the screen a matt black, it blends fairly well into the dash.
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:11 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
I installed a 7" touch screen for my Kenwood GPS, I have it installed in my SW between the fresh air vents. I moved the 3 buttons that controll the rear wiper, wash and defrost to the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. It works out to be a great location, very visable and easy to operate. Having the unit mounted in to tuffy seems like it would tough to look at. You really have to take your eyes off the road to view. I too was concerned about theft so I sprayed the metal frame of the screen a matt black, it blends fairly well into the dash.
Can you post some pics dave? Thanks.

DJ
Old January 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Here are a couple of shots. The weather was terrible this morning when I took these, hence them being so dark. I couldn't even get a readable shot of the screen on because it was so dark outside. I'll try and post new/better ones later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1910.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	2383   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1906.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	2384  

Old January 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM
priest944
Jay H
95 D90 SW

Wow... That looks really sweet.. A nice clean installation.
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You guys are
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:40 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Hey, I knew a David Shechter as a kid in Pacific Palisades. Are you the same guy?

Very nice install. I've been thinking of doing the same with a carputer.
Old January 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I dig it. nicely done. What fascia piece did you use for the relocation of the switches?

Any pros and cons to that project?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 28th, 2005, 05:22 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Thanks guys! It's always nice to be told of a job well done. I used the face that came with truck, I just took the buttons and the plate, cut the dash and relocated it. I left the cover in place to hide the mounting arm and wires for the monitor. I'm in the final stages of building a metal box in the rear to house the DVD navigation unit and other electronics. Read, I grew up in NYC, but it's wild to hear about someone else with the same name.
Old January 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Here are a couple of shots. The weather was terrible this morning when I took these, hence them being so dark. I couldn't even get a readable shot of the screen on because it was so dark outside. I'll try and post new/better ones later.

Nice. I'm impressed the the switch relocation. Nice work!

DJ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions