NAS90 rear tub belt-rail - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

NAS90 rear tub belt-rail

Hi, newbie here. I posted the question below on the lr4x4 forum and JimC was kind enough to suggest that this forum might be able to help...

Does anyone have the dimensions for the 'belt-rail' that is fastened to the sides and rear of the tub to which the tonneau cover/soft top attaches. I'm building up a 90 from scratch and will fabricate these parts from SS. JimC mentioned that they are fairly cheap in the USA, but I'm in the Middle East...

Hope someone can help...

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sorry I dont have those dimensions - but don't forget you'll need the tailgate bar too. Its also pretty cheap, but its not something you could fabricate as easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi Mark,
Here are a couple images and the dimensions of the belt rail. The rail appears to be an aluminum extrusion rather than a piece of bent aluminum. It might be pretty tough to bend the metal unless you are using a C&C metal break. It is made of 16 gauge aluminum - it is 54 & 5/8" long and butts up to the tub capping. It is held in place with 7 equally spaced pop rivets. (looks like 3/16" shaft diameter rivets) (or something close to that)

Good luck.
Len
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beltrail1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	12097   Click image for larger version

Name:	beltrail2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	12098  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

Thanks, Len - you're a scholar! That's exactly what I needed.

I remembered that is was an extrusion, which I don't have. Hence I'm fabricating them from SS sheet, which should put the strength in. It just so happens that the off-cuts I have are 16 swg. Are the rivets along the sides the same ones that hold the body cappings?

Thanks again.

Mark
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:47 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Hi Mark,

You're welcome. The heads of the rivets are the same size on both the belt rail and capping. In the pic you can see a rivet that holds the rear quarter panel capping to the fender. When you get it all done I'd like to see how it turned out - send me a pic to len@americandirtroads.com

Len

Old February 14th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Sorry I dont have those dimensions - but don't forget you'll need the tailgate bar too. Its also pretty cheap, but its not something you could fabricate as easily.
Do you mean the 'hook' type attachments that fit to the top of the tailgate? I have one of these and think I'll be able to fabricate a couple from paxolin or delrin. 'think' being the operative word....
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

Be glad to send a picture, Len. I'm still a long way from completion though. I finishing of the rear tub at the moment. Had to cut down a 110 rear tub and fit new side panels, quarter panels etc to fit the 90. 90 tubs seem to be non-existant here. Had all the cappings galvanised and manufactured seat-belt brackets etc from SS. Together with a galvanised chassis, bulkhead (firewall in the US?), and seat tray supports I'm looking to give the corrosion worms a body swerve.

Just had a look at your website - very tasty products. I might be interested in your centre console. Would your centre console fit a 90 that has the bulkhead behind the seats still fitted? I want to keep that bulkhead to segregate passenger and load bay compartments.

BTW, is that JimC's 90 in the pictures of the front door panels? The red hinges on the yellow body paint look similar to pictures on JimC's post of a ST to SW swop.

Mark
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Hi Mark,

It sounds like a great project your are putting together. As far as the center console - measure the available space you have -from the top front edge of the seatbox to the bulhead- Since everything I make is limited production it is easy for me to customize my products to a customers needs. I can always shorten the length of the console to fit your space. But if you have access to s.s. and the cutting and bending tools you might try to make one yourself. I'll be glad to give you advice on the process if you decide to go that route.

Yes - Jim has a set of my SS door panels. I had just painted his new doors, door capping and hinges with Dupont Chroma One - a very good single stage paint. The only issue we encountered is the paint build up wthin the hinge holes. Since I only have one good air gun I have to use it for all of my auto motive paint projects. A big shop would have painted the hinges with a much smaller gun for better control of paint application. I think Jim is going to use an air brush gun to apply a thin layer of paint to the interior of the door hinge holes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, nas