Defender Source Forum banner

NAS90 Puma 3rd Row seats install questions

Tags
90 nas puma seats
10K views 50 replies 14 participants last post by  AdamSanta85 
#1 ·
NAS ST 90 install Puma 3rd row seats questions. I had my eye on the Puma 3rd row seats, because I would like the center aisle between the seats. I would like to so the install with out notching the wheel wells

- What kind of head room do you have with this arrangement i.e. seats sitting on top of the wheel wells?

- Can you mod the set up to use the NAS seat belt set up?

- What have people done to make backing plates to help reinforce the wheel wells?

- What puma 3rd row seat upholstery is the closest match to NAS seats?

I have done the searches and have tried to read up on this as much as I could, but would appreciate the thoughts/insites & pics from others that have done this.

The pics are my current set up w/ child seat on the NAS bench (also "sightings")

Thanks for the help,
Rufus

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I know these aren't Puma seats but have you looked into these?LOCK & FOLD REAR SEAT (L/H) CAR DENIM , EXT053-CD-L/H - Exmoor Trim USA

I like the Puma seats but have no interest in cutting the tub of the 90 to fit them.

I have yet to see the Puma 3rd in the denim trim, typically XS or modus.

I have both trims and I prefer the XS. You can always re-trim the fronts in either of these to match, and add seat heat of you haven't already. I was able to source the XS bench trim from Exmoor if you are worried about down the road.

The simple fix would be a set of waterproof seat covers all around and who cares what lurks underneath.

I can't speak to the installation as I haven't done it, just researching it. I would think you should be able to position the seats to use the existing seat belts. Both Exmoor and Puma seats have the buckle in the seat which should make that easier.

Puma tubs have a support that runs the length of the tub- you could find a local place to make an L shaped support to reinforce the tub, without the notch the puma tub has. I know there are a few threads here that show what people have done.

#4 · (Edited)
***Could someone with a puma tub please measure the notch depth (horizontal / up & down)***

Since I'm not going to notch the wheel wells, I have to figure out the thickness of the spacers for under the brackets. Spacers are shown in the last pic (pulled from one of the U.K. Boards)

Thanks to Sal, I ended up getting my hands on puma 3rd row seats. I put them in the back to get a feel for them (first two pics).

BTW - I am going to install backing plates under the wheel wells

Attachments

#5 ·
***Could someone with a puma tub please measure the notch depth (horizontal / up & down)***

#8 · (Edited)
Paul - thank you. Since that 2.5" measurement is on an angle, I'm still trying to figure out the notch up & down depth?

Wondering if I could take the 7 9/16" measurement and subtract that from my non-notched height?

Any thoughts/insights much appreciated!

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys - so Ed using your measurement the difference between the Puma notched and non-notched defender wheel well height is:

1.4175" or 3.6mm

Does anyone know what engineering plastic is? So now I have to figure out how to make a spacer to that thickness. The post from a U.K. board used engineering plastic

Puma jump seats fitted to a 90 TD5

Attachments

#10 ·
So the height of the wheel well?

I'm seeing it close to 9" but storage room is jammed tight right now and need to clear a bunch of stuff out to get an accurate measurement.

I'm in for a set of brackets or if you can give me the dimensions I can build my own.

#12 ·
Does anyone know what engineering plastic is? So now I have to figure out how to make a spacer to that thickness. The post from a U.K. board used engineering plastic [URL="http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/109862-Puma-jump-seats-fitted-to-a-90-TD5" said:
Puma jump seats fitted to a 90 TD5[/URL]

Thats 1/2" engineered HDPE plastic sheets- StarBoard is a brand name, many different manufacturers. Same product that some companies use for wheel spacers.

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/king_starboard/526

#32 ·
um...roughly 3/4 inch makes that much difference?

Ed - Very interesting point. If you think about it, Puma's have a modified tub complete with a notched wheel well, and all that accomplishes is 1.5" of increased head room?

I would think they could have designed a thinner seat cushion on the 3rd row seats to give even more head room.

If you think about it, the inward facing jump seats sit on top of the regular non-notched wheel wells, yet there is no mentioning of height issues with those seats (that I am aware of anyway)

#19 ·
I dont know how you guys measure but the depth of the cut out on the PUMA hub is 4 cm or 1.5 inch.

If you mount the PUMA seat on the inner wingtop without cut-out you are missing the same amount under the seatbracket where it is supposed to stand on the floor.

I have done a whole bunch of inner tub conversion for the PUMA seats which i.m.o. work best.

If you like I can shoot some pics of PUMA inner tubs, I have several here.

#21 ·
When I was seam welding my brackets I used about 1.5" of spacers to keep the top sheet level so that 1.4" number is correct.

I measured the angle on the bracket - 143 deg.

If someone has some CAD skills I'm sure they could find out the exact number.

I did a quick napkin sketch:

#38 · (Edited)
For top mounting what are you guys going to do with the bolt on the angle piece?

Does anyone have any thoughts re: how I install the puma seat brackets with angled feet on top of the NAS wheel well?

I suppose I could cut a starboard spacer at an 37 degree angle to make the puma seat bracket fit flush on top of the wheel well.

(I calculate the 37 degrees using Don's napkin angles measurements i.e. 180 degrees - 143 degrees of puma notch angle = 37 degrees)

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
yeah i am a complete rube. the simple difference of the heights should be the correct number. or 1.413". 40mm is 1.5748" so something is a little off on our compound measurements. rivermike, is that measurement from a real puma tub?

my 0.7ish number came from computing the height using the other dimensions from sal. if i reverse compute the width of the uncut wheel well is 13.375"?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#24 ·
yeah i am a complete rube. the simple difference of the heights should be the correct number. or 1.413". 40mm is 1.5748" so something is a little off on our compound measurements. rivermike, is that measurement from a real puma tub?
Right, original PUMA tub , measured from one of my James Bond 007 Spectre Double Cabs. See pic below

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
Thank you all! I am going to go with 1.5" for the spacer thickness on the tub floor.

I ordered this off of ebay: STARBOARD 1 1/2" THICK BLACK 12 3/4" X 23 3/4" IN

#29 ·
I'm wondering why they have a spacer here (see pic)?

I was planning on putting in backing plates under the wheel well, that would serve the same purpose (I assume)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.