NAS Value with a New/Rebuilt Engine - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:32 PM
Daniel1
Daniel
1984 D110

NAS Value with a New/Rebuilt Engine

I am recently new to the boards and doing as much reading /research as I can (probably too much) before I purchase my first Defender.

I noticed that are some decent NAS D90's out there with high miles (150K+) that will probably need an engine rebuild or a swap within a year or two.

Do you think the value of an NAS Defender 90 will decrease, hold, or increase due to the installation of newer lower mileage engine? A local dealer near me that deals with many of these Defenders mention in his opinion swapping in a 4.6 would increase the value.

What are your thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:53 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel1 View Post
I am recently new to the boards and doing as much reading /research as I can (probably too much) before I purchase my first Defender.

I noticed that are some decent NAS D90's out there with high miles (150K+) that will probably need an engine rebuild or a swap within a year or two.

Do you think the value of an NAS Defender 90 will decrease, hold, or increase due to the installation of newer lower mileage engine? A local dealer near me that deals with many of these Defenders mention in his opinion swapping in a 4.6 would increase the value.

Where did you get the data point that it will need a new engine?

Frankly if it's made 150k it's been well looked after and will likely make 200k or so ... do you envisage putting 50k miles in a year or 2?

You'll never make back the money you spend on a car ( unless you are a skilled restorer / lucky or playing at the higher end of the collectible scale ) ... that's car ownership 101.

Don't worry about miles, worry about overall condition, maintenance and corrosion.

And you can never do too much research ... but whatever happens a defender will stab you repeatedly in the wallet ... starting on the drive home.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:54 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Personal opinion of mine if thinking of resale ease or value, would be to rebuild the original 3.9L engine. Conversions are not mainstream desirable to regular folks I would think, although popular with die-hard LR owners. As far as the value of NAS Defenders increasing , I would venture to say yes as they are reaching collectable and high end status with the added fact that the Defender in it's present form will cease production in 2015. Just my opinion.

Additionally just as least once mentions, the real value lies in the overall condition and maintenance. Engines are easier to rebuild than a complete frame off restoration of body and chassi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:55 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Where did you get the data point that it will need a new engine?

Frankly if it's made 150k it's been well looked after and will likely make 200k or so ... do you envisage putting 50k miles in a year or 2?

You'll never make back the money you spend on a car ( unless you are a skilled restorer / lucky or playing at the higher end of the collectible scale ) ... that's car ownership 101.

Don't worry about miles, worry about overall condition, maintenance and corrosion.

And you can never do too much research ... but whatever happens a defender will stab you repeatedly in the wallet ... starting on the drive home.

You've received solid advice here. Condition is MUCH more relevant than mileage. However, it's a mistake to look at 150k+ mile vehicles as "high mile". Remember- NAS trucks are between 17 (97') and 20 (94') years old! 150k miles over the course of 20 years equals only 7500 miles/yr. That's half of what is considered "average" annual mileage (15k) by most insurance companies and DMV's.
These trucks are at times- troublesome. Combine that with their inherent impracticality, and you begin to understand why the majority of them have unusually low mileage, despite their age. As pointed out- a high"er" mileage truck proves that it has been both maintained, and used on a more regular basis; both desirable traits for anything short of collector vehicles.
Finally, if you'll run a forum search for "3.9 longevity" threads, you'll find that these engines are capable of running beyond 250k, properly maintained. My 3.9 just surpassed 157k with a healthy compression check on all 8 cylinders.
Good luck in your search…!
Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:23 PM
Daniel1
Daniel
1984 D110

Thanks for the advice.

I've seen most cars on the road these days last till about 150k miles with a rebuild or replacement needed so I was assuming these would be the same. Its good to know that these car can last and this information will definitely help in my search.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:40 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
... starting on the drive home.
Mine left me stranded for the first (and only) time on the drive home from NC after purchasing it.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:05 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel1 View Post

Original configuration is more important than original engine. You can't really tell a 4.6 swap without taking things apart, so that shouldn't hurt anything, and I'd bet that at least a quarter of the NAS 90s out there have already had one replacement block.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:04 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Data point.. my 95' ST NAS has 127k - original clutch, Original engine, tranny, etc. just about 0% rust (some surface on the drivers side footwell from a drip. None on the frame. Its not stored inside either, just cared for

Going on 19 years old. & averaged 6.6/7k miles/year

Condition is paramount - i'd buy a driven one in great shape.
imho

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:33 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

just to add.. i chose to rebuild the top end of my 3.9 rather than swap the motor. I'm not so much worried about resale as i am about just doing it the way it was intended. If i had a ROW truck i wouldn't care at all frankly.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:22 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Actually my D90 was extremely reliable except for one stupid connector (fuel pump connector at the right rear wheel well) that took me awhile to figure out was shorted out. I worried less after I swapped to Mallory dizzy and coil.

Robert Deniro
Old May 26th, 2014, 04:17 PM
jack SF
jack baran
95 ST yellow

my 95 has 262k miles. no smoke, no noises. looks to be original and previous owner said its original engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, nas