NAS speedo adjustment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 17th, 2015, 02:17 PM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
NAS speedo adjustment

Is the MPH setting on the speedo adjustable? If so, is the adjustment mechanical or electronic?

I just swapped out my thirds/diffs...went from 4.75 to 3.54, so my speedo is now way off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The stock speedo in a 94 is mechanical. You can change the speedo drive gear at the transfer case to get a reading that is closer to correct. Pretty easy and low cost.

That or change to an electronic speedo that can be adjusted.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

The most accurate and trouble free way would be to contact Hollywood speedo and get a calibrated VDO replacement. They may be even able to put the internals into your old speedo to give stock appearance. They will tell you to get a gps reading of actual (iPhone app) vs the visual reading at specific speeds and they will calibrate for you. Simple plug and play and accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Another option is to have the gearing changed inside the gauge to reflect the exact MPH but its not cheap. The shop is inLA. If you would like his # you can pm me....
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Good lord. All he needs to do is change the speedo drive. $10 and half an hour. He is going to stock, so just needs a stock gear.

Both of those suggestions above cost way more than buying a new programmable speedometer.

Old July 17th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Good lord. All he needs to do is change the speedo drive. $10 and half an hour. He is going to stock, so just needs a stock gear. Both of those suggestions above cost way more than buying a new programmable speedometer.
X2

Surprised that they actually adjusted the speedo in the first place....
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Thats debatable. Keeping the clock original for resale purposes is not a bad idea.
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

I think it depends if the prior owner or current owner changed the "drive gear" to something other than stock to reflect the 4.75 when the change was made vs transfer case re-gear etc. Time is money and if any of the variable above are unknown the easiest is a "programmable" VDO as mentioned above. Fairly cheap for a plug and play option vs changing out a 10 dollar part to realize you are still way off. Not enough info in the tread to determine.

Edit.
Re-read Johns comment below. Makes sense and agree. Curious for the original poster to weight in and comment on the changes that were made. When my ribbon in the 97 went bad it was an easy mod to have hollywood speedo do the correction for my tire size, 4.11s etc. Sounds like the 97 and 94 speedos may be different.
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Never heard of anyone regearing the transfer case... Unless you've put a crawler on there... Unlikely.... Drive gear is on the tc
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The transfer case gearing has no effect on the speedo. The speedo drive in on the rear output shaft of the transfer case.

Go and pull out the speedo drive gear. They are color coded. Report back on the color and we can advice which one to get.

Old July 17th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
Never heard of anyone regearing the transfer case... Unless you've put a crawler on there... Unlikely.... Drive gear is on the tc
Not an uncommon mod for landys. Allows to stay with the stock R&P, retain low range and just change high for improved road handling with larger tires etc. For most it is easier to go with 4.11s and be done with it.
Old July 17th, 2015, 08:20 PM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
A lot to digest here, but helpful. I'm away from the truck for a few days, so will need to circle back with what I find. Have a great weekend!
Old July 17th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverdoc View Post
Not an uncommon mod for landys. Allows to stay with the stock R&P, retain low range and just change high for improved road handling with larger tires etc. For most it is easier to go with 4.11s and be done with it.
Sorry. I just realized how that reads. I meant regear your tc to adjust your speedo lol. Landry peeps usually swap whole tc rather than regear them unless they want to rebuild them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions