NAS rollcage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

NAS rollcage

I was just wondering . . . .

Let's say 20 years from now someone is doing a concours restoration of a NAS D90 and the rubber on the rollcage is brittle, crumbling, cracked. Given that the oversized rubberized rollcage is one of the distinctive features of a ST NAS D90, can this thing be rebuilt or restored from scratch? (I'm not talking about mere cracks or chipped pieces but rebuilding the entire rubber padding). Safetydevices for example features some nice rollcages but they're all nicely welded and shaped all-metal pieces, with the option to wrap impact-padding around it (like a Jeep). My rollcage is fine and I'm sure it'll last me but I can imagine the rubber getting hard, cracked or even destroyed in a car fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:02 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
if its destroyed in a car fire ... fixing the rubber would be the least of your worries ...

I would imagine in 20 years this sort of restoration would be quite simple. The basics exist today ... 3D laser scan ... output to 3D laser printer with the right materials.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Assuming this remains the best stuff to preserve the rubber? That and keeping it out of the sun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Yes it can be done. Just takes money and a good plastics moulder.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:07 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Thanks..

Thanks, it was just idle speculation. Probably most of the rollcages out there are fine. The rubberized part seems to have been made almost like a popsicle: put metal piece in mold, pour black rubber material around it, voila!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage, nas