NAS Roll Cage Rubber Repair? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 29th, 2014, 11:22 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
NAS Roll Cage Rubber Repair?

What is out there to repair any pealing/cracking to the rubber on NAS ST roll cages?

I am already using 303 as a protectant... but need something to fix some of the older wear and tear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2014, 07:25 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I've seen a piece repaired with what looked like black silicone caulk. Whomever did the job did a great job texturing it. Maybe someone out there has a section that severely damaged they would donate for practice.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:59 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I've seen a piece repaired with what looked like black silicone caulk. Whomever did the job did a great job texturing it. Maybe someone out there has a section that severely damaged they would donate for practice. Clay
I think that was specops from a few years ago. I don't remember the rest of his screen name (1515?) but if you search you should find it. Used roofing material if I recall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2014, 08:16 AM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
black silicone

I did some extensive repair on my NAS cage. I used black silicone. It takes a while to dry and the color wont be perfect. it will require "texturing" to make it look good. It does seem to hold up well over time. I fixed tears and missing chunks on the roll bar rubber with it.
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:27 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I had a 10 inch long chunk taken out of my cage by a tree....here is how I fixed it:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=32703

Still looking good after 2.5 years.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:34 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
I had a 10 inch long chunk taken out of my cage by a tree....here is how I fixed it:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=32703

Still looking good after 2.5 years.
There we go. It looks like specops linked to the post I was talking about earlier, too.
Old June 30th, 2014, 01:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've always wondered if sanding it down and rhino lining it would work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Thanks all...I saw that thread before posting. It looks like the best option!
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:21 AM
chuckc4
chuck b

I thought I read something recently about using FlexSeal (from the TV commercials). It is offered in gallon cans now and I believe the company claims you can pour it into a mould. perhaps it would work for the padding.

I need to recreate some of the chunky foot parts of my roll cage padding. I will report back on results if I try it.
Old July 9th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
I thought I read something recently about using FlexSeal (from the TV commercials). It is offered in gallon cans now and I believe the company claims you can pour it into a mould. perhaps it would work for the padding.

I need to recreate some of the chunky foot parts of my roll cage padding. I will report back on results if I try it.
Contact RN. They had access to the pieces. Its not like its rocket science. Even Jeeps do something similar.
Old July 9th, 2016, 09:15 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Contact RN. They had access to the pieces. Its not like its rocket science. Even Jeeps do something similar.
They had access to protective Rollcage wraps.

Yes people have had some luck using roofing material along the feet bases and to seal up cracks and gaps in the cantrails. It will never look perfect but maybe it'll protect the steel tubing underneath and look alright from 20' away.
Old July 9th, 2016, 09:32 AM
NTXRover
Jimbob
NAS Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
I thought I read something recently about using FlexSeal (from the TV commercials). It is offered in gallon cans now and I believe the company claims you can pour it into a mould. perhaps it would work for the padding. I need to recreate some of the chunky foot parts of my roll cage padding. I will report back on results if I try it.
Please document the process. I've seen lots of folks have bad feet that could use repair. Good luck!
Old July 10th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I used some synthetic roof sealant to fix some deterioration on the cantrails a couple years ago. It looked good at first, but it wasn't long before it started peeling off, so I got a set of the roll cage paddings from RN to cover it.
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:20 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I've seen Plast Dip or Anything Foam and some of that texture paper - like you use to get the grain when repairing vinyl or leather. It looked pretty good.

I've been using this product for repairing those unibitonium plastic parts....along with a bit of plastic welding.

Plast-aid® multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions.
Car Camping Collective founding member - Badge #88 ...with 4 whole fried chickens and a coke.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage, nas, rubber