NAS D90 Specs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2005, 10:56 PM
JohnK
John K

NAS D90 Specs

I am looking for a source for NAS D90 Specifications and comparison between models/years. Thanks, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Any owners manual will have all the info in it. What exactly are ya looking for? You can find some good info on Defenders here

http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/IDAR/Defender.html

In addtion to searching around the forum.

Edit: here too

http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Defender/index.html

That whole site is great
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:48 AM
JohnK
John K

I believe that is one of the sites I visited via a search engine. It seems vague (what type of transfer case-BW or LT230?), incomplete (no '94 or '97 D90 specs), and inaccurate (lists both the 3.9L and the 4.0L engines for the '95 D90).

I am entertaining buying a D90. My preference is the SW over the ST. It would be a second vehicle used for off-road trips in the Mid-Atlantic area. I currently use a '89 RRC for this and perform most maintenance myself. I used to own a '72 SIII 88.

I want to learn about the various NAS D90 models 94/95/97 SW/ST and the differences between the so I can decide what I want to shop for. There was a recent 'Robison on Rovers' article in the Rovers North News that compared the various model years of the RRC. I would love to find a resource like that for the NAS D90s.

Thanks, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

All came with the LT230. early 94s had the LT77 but most were converted to R380s. 94s and 95s had the 3.9 V8 with the 14CUX ECU, 97s were GEMs ECU with the 4.0 V8. In 94 all were STs except a handful of them were cnverted to SWs with no internal cage and they are known as POEs (port of entry) Defenders, all were also Manual trannies. In 95 some were soft tops (ST) and some were Hard tops or Station wagns (SW) some had autos and some had manual trannies. In 97 again SWs and STs, but all were auto trannes.
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:56 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
In 95 some were soft tops (ST) and some were Hard tops or Station wagns (SW) some had autos and some had manual trannies.
Wow, I didnt realize they sold autos in '95. I thought they were all R380 manual with the 3.9 motor.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
Wow, I didnt realize they sold autos in '95. I thought they were all R380 manual with the 3.9 motor.
lol well I could be wrong, I'm just going from memory
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

only manuals in 95
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Just buy a 95, thats all you need to know. 94's had tranny problems, most were replaced but that begs the question of whether it was done correctly. 97's had autos, which only little girls and severly handicapped men drive, and the engines have a tendency to overheat. The SW, ST debate is up to you, but either way, you will be wet and most likely cold.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:00 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

This should answer all your questions, it's very comprehensive.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:59 PM
JohnK
John K

Some excellent information. Most of my questions have been answered. I have a few new questions.

1) I saw on cars.com under Std Equipment and Specs that the '97s have ABS. Is this correct? I have not seen this from other sources.

2) I saw 'Limited slip differential' on cars.com. It is my understanding that the LT230 center diff can be locked and is open (not-limited slip) when not locked. Are the front and rear differentials open or limited slip? I am unclear about what they are referring to and whether they are correct.

3) Where is the engine ECU mounted? Does it have the diagnostic code display?

Thanks to everypne who has or will respond.
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

NO ABS.

NAS Defenders don't have limited slips but someone could have added one aftermarket to the diffs

94's the ECU is by where you put your feet on the passenger side, 95 it is under the passenger seat. both have displays. 97's have the evil OBD2 system with multipel ECUs under seat and I think one under the hood. And you need a scanner to get the codes.
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:58 AM
JohnK
John K

I read the following on AutoTrader.com under Model Info for a 1995 listing:

Later in the model year, a new five-speed manual transmission (the only gearbox fitted to the Defender) debuts and features full syncromesh for reverse gear, decreasing the likelihood of embarrassing grinding noises when one attempts to back up. Land Rover claims the overall shift action is lighter and more precise, and that the new clutch requires less pressure to operate.

Do some 1995s have one manual transmission and other 1995s have a different one? Are there different versions of the R380? Or are they referring to the 1994s having the LT77 and the 1995s having the R380?
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well mine grinds sometimes going into reverse (R380). I believe both the LT77 and the R380 are syncromesh. But all 95's had the same trans (other then me thinking some had autos). The R380s are pretty tuff other then the syncros not lasting all too long, but you can drive it with bad syncros for a long time. Most of the problem with them is that they were originaly run with ATF, when they should have had an MTL for fluid, and because of this the syncros wore out.
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:05 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

That last bit sounds very much like the PR when the switched from LT77 to R380.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, nas