NAS D90 engine light - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 19th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Rajiv Malhotra
05 LR3
NAS D90 engine light

Hey guys!

Quick question, I have a 1995 NAS D90 with about 80K miles on it. Absolutely love the truck but it's given me a little bit of trouble this year. I attempted to drive it to a beach vacation about 220 miles (not the furthest it's driven). It was warm outside around 90F and I was at about 200 miles and stopped to get gas. The tank was less than a quarter which was my fault. I filled it up with 93 octane Shell gas and it simply wouldn't start afterwards. It wasn't overheated according to the needle but just would turn over and not catch. When it did catch, it would idle very rough for about 5-10 then spontaneous turn off.

I had it towed back home. Of note, the tow truck driver said it started right up when he arrived 2 hours later. I came back home after a week and it was continuing to run rough so I sent it to a local mechanic. He did some investigating and figured it was probably the fuel pump (he couldn't get it to start either). He dropped the tank and replaced the pump.

It's done well since then with minimal driving. Last weekend I started it and drove about a mile in 70F temperature. While at a light, the check engine light came on and I noticed a severe loss of power as i attempted to pull away from the light. I also noticed a richer than normal smell of fuel. I made a U-turn and headed home and even in 2nd gear at 4000rpm the top speed was about 10mph. Definitely not making any power as if some of the cylinders just weren't working.

I plan to change the plugs and wires as thats due this weekend. Any other thoughts or ideas? I should mention that I'm not a mechanic and don't work on cars often other than changing oil, etc.

2005 LR3 SE, Tonga Green, Johnson Rods, Nitto's
2008 RRS HSE, Silver
2013 Audi RS5 Daytona Gray
1996 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta Rossa Corsa
1995 Defender 90 Soft Top AA Yellow
Old November 19th, 2015, 07:00 PM
72 + D1 drivetrain
Take a look at the coil. When they age they leak coolant, overheat and cannot support ignition.

Do one thing only at a time. Make sure the truck works after every step.

Old November 19th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
This is one of the most common faults on these. It's the air idle control valve. It's the valve in the plenum on the back left as you look at the engine. Remove it carefully after unplugging it. Clean with carb cleaner and a toothbrush gently. Plug it back in and cycle the ignition to move it in and out out it in a ziplock bag just in case the end decides to pop off. . Re-install and live happily ever after. If that doesn't work a replacement is about $45 for a '86 Chevy Astro van from Napa.

If I had a dollar for every muppet mechanic that doesn't know f all about these trucks and throws in a $500 fuel pump ...
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, d90, engine, ht, nas