NAS D90 A Bar Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2015, 08:37 PM
qanda0628
Luis
1997 D90 Station Wagon

NAS D90 A Bar Install

Hello. I have a 97 NAS d90 and was wondering if anyone had suggestions installing an A bar.
If bolted to the stock bumper mounts, the front of the bar is not flush with the bumper. Only solution is adding spacers in the back to compensate. Or did I purchase the wrong bar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2559.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	135628  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Use stainless steel fender washers to fill the gap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 26th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
I had similar issues, although I was fitting an A-bar to an '85 UK spec truck.

I ended up putting all the bolts in & putting the nuts on, then tightened them all a bit at a time- it pulled everything together (and likely bent some parts a bit to match) and it ended up looking okay. I tried using washers as spacers but it looked terrible!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2015, 09:13 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

They came with a black metal plate as a spacer but washers work fine.
Old November 26th, 2015, 09:17 PM
qanda0628
Luis
1997 D90 Station Wagon

So you guys are saying this is par for the course. Seems like you guys all had to jimmy it to look correct.
Thanks everyone. Wish me luck. Will post pics if I'm successful
Old November 26th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Whilst we're on the subject of A-bars...

Will the standard A-bar fit with the later grille surround that sticks out?

If not, can it be made to fit?

I like the A-bar because it's stout, protects the grille & spot lights but doesn't block the headlights. That said, there isn't much room behind it so I doubt the A/C style grille surround will fit.

Thoughts?
Old November 27th, 2015, 02:07 AM
qanda0628
Luis
1997 D90 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Whilst we're on the subject of A-bars...

Will the standard A-bar fit with the later grille surround that sticks out?

If not, can it be made to fit?

I like the A-bar because it's stout, protects the grille & spot lights but doesn't block the headlights. That said, there isn't much room behind it so I doubt the A/C style grille surround will fit.

Thoughts?
Paul. I'm new to the Defender scene but it appears that companies make one that extend out further. My 97 NAS has AC but the bar I recently acquired, a non-AC version (according to pictures I've seen online) doesn't seem to have any clearance issues. I think that's because I do not have a grille that extends out. Again, I'm not 100% sure about this.
Yes. I agree. Aesthetically, I prefer the A-bar over ones that cover the entire front. Adds a nice rugged touch while matching the look of the factory roll cage.
Old November 27th, 2015, 02:11 AM
qanda0628
Luis
1997 D90 Station Wagon

This image is similar to the one I acquired.
Attached Images

Old November 28th, 2015, 06:39 PM
qanda0628
Luis
1997 D90 Station Wagon

97 NAS A-Bar Install

Just completed installing the A-Bar. Being new to the Defender world, this was going to be a fun, simple project that turned out to have some minor difficulties to address.
In earlier post, I mentioned that the front on the A-bar mounting plate did not meet flush with the top of the stock bumper (Figure A).

The reason for this is an indentation of the bumper mounting plate (Figure B) in which the top
surface of the bumper was higher than the plate where the bolts seat.

The simple fix is utilizing washers to compensate for the indentation.

Note: Take the time to mock up the bar on the mounting points as to determine what thickness of washers you'll need. During the mock-up, you will also be able to mark the locations of the 2 holes you'll need to drill (Figure C).
You may also note in the pictures that I placed some tape on the painted surface as to protect it from any possible slipping socket wrenches. Also, you might notice that I removed the grill. The reason was, the bottom corners of the grill were in the way of the socket/wrench. This proved to be both a good and bad idea. Good, because the wrenches had more clearance. Bad, because once the A-Bar was installed, it took some effort to carefully slide the grille between the bar and the body. Be very careful during this process as you'll have to bend the plastic grill here and there to fit. The other way is to leave the grille on and use box wrenches. This way is also more time consuming.

Once you determine the washer height, proceed to install. Move from one bolt to another, left to right, front to back as to help equalize the load of the bolts. This seemed to help assure the correct, flush fit (Figure D).

Figure C, shows the completed install.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	135770   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	135771  

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	135772   Click image for larger version

Name:	d.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	135773  

Name:	e.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	135774  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, nas