NAS D90 300tdi exhaust? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 10th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

NAS D90 300tdi exhaust?

I have been working on my project 90 quite a bit recently, and got ready to mount the exhaust on the engine/chassis. Boy was I pissed when I realized that the rear silencer is supposed to sit where my fuel tank is! Guess I should have realized that. I read that ECR uses a NRP exhaust for their 300tdi conversions that just mounts to the head pipe. I emailed NRP, and have gotten no response. Since they are more than likely going to be expensive as hell, I am just going to get an exhaust made, by cutting off the flanges on the 300tdi exhaust I have, and using them on new pipes. My question is, what kind of muffler do I need to run on this thing? I don't mind paying premium price for the best muffler, as the exhaust is going to cost me practically nothing to build. Also, the 300tdi exhaust uses 2 silencers. I should only need 1, shouldn't I?

Thanks for your help.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Take out the silencers all together. Totally unecessary. If it was my truck, don't put on a muffler. The turbo cuts up the noise quite nicely and the diesel is not loud to begin with. If you think you have to, I have had good results with dynomax. You do not have to spend a lot of money here, just get a very free flowing muffler. Summit Racing is a good place to start.

P.S. if you think I am kidding about the muffler, drop your pipes at the first connection and drive around. You will be surprised at the lack of sound. And you will get the lowest EGT that way.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Chris-
do you have any bits of the NAS exhaust left over? I need a cat. Mine is rattling like crazy. I only need a used one to tide me over until I do the diesel thing like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Sorry Jim, sold that stuff long ago. What problems could arise from not running a muffler? I will probably add one anyway, as I do enjoy being able to hear.
Old November 11th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Chris,

Like I said, after you finish your install drive around without any exaust except for the down pipe. If you are used to dealing with gas engines all your thinking needs to go out the window. Turbo Diesels are not loud without the muffler, in a matter of fact there is amost no difference. You get that cool Borla sound but pocket the $600. As to your question about problems, there are non what so ever. EGT's are your new cancer. You need to watch that guage wherever you go. You will notice a difference with no muffler. As much as 100 degrees in similar driving conditions. Just try it. If you don't like the noise, you can get a high flow that fits the demensions you need for cheap, they work fine. Good luck!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 11th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

BTW:

I forgot, dump the rest of the pipe exiting the rear of your vehicle and just turn the pipe out and down and blow it out the side 2.5 ton style. That way you can trow away all the annoying over/under link around gas tank hit on rock headaches.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 11th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

David, thanks for the help. I will probably just get the thing running, like you said, and see what it sounds like. 99% of my experience with diesel engines is on heavy equipment, where it DEF. makes a big difference having a muffler.

Thanks

Chris
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

If I can I will get a few pictures posted of some different exause rout options. So you can pick the best for you.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Chris,
what did you end up doing about your exhaust?
George
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:27 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
He sold the truck, so I dont think he ever solved it. I just grafted the NAS rear section to the TDI midsection just forward of the a-arm crossmember. That eliminated the rear silencer, but noise isnt a problem. Exhaust shop charged me 15 bucks for the job.
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Thanks Jim...that helps!
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:02 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Jim, If you want a stock cat, I have the y-pipe from our rover. It has both cats in it, but I don't know if they're burned up already or not. If you want them, I'll give them to you for free if you pay the shipping. I can either cut them out of the y-pipe or if you want the whole y-pipe, I can mail that too although there's a crack at the flange that bolts to the exhaust manifold. Let me know. I can get pics tomorrow night if that will help although don't be expecting much. When we pulled it off, the truck had 88,000 miles on it so they're fairly old.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:22 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

There is a rear tank exhaust for a 300tdi (the later models had a rear tank instead of the side tank) I have one at the shop but I'm not sure I'll use it as the silencer is about 8" in dia and 26 " long which seems like a little overkill as, like Buck says, they are pretty quiet with a straight pipe.

The last conversion I did used a 10" flowmaster grafted into the stock head pipe and the rear tank Tdi tailpipe section. Sounds good and relatively cheap. Be carefull of to much back pressure unless you want burnt exhaust valves....get an EGT guage. All the stock silencers get in the way of underdrive / overdrive units which seem to be so popular right now.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:46 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Matt, what model flowmaster did you use? How does it sound and do you have a part #?
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:53 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

110 Tdi:

Was driving down route 3 towards the Cape last weekend and see something flying behind me. Thought it was a tire tread I ran over but I was pretty careful and didn't see anything on the road. Pull over to see if I had a flat and didn't.

Come back Monday, Wednesday start taking out the radiator. Get underneath the truck and notice that the middle section with the muffler is missing! That was the debris I saw.

Funny thing, a little while after the debris incident I thought the engine sounded a bit louder than normal. Not much louder but a very slight increase over a broad speed range above 55 or so. It did concern me as I thought it was from the engine. Must have been from the missing muffler.

So, yes, they are quiet without a muffler at all. That's reassuring as I plan on fitting 3-in pipe straight through.
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cox
I read that ECR uses a NRP exhaust for their 300tdi conversions that just mounts to the head pipe. I emailed NRP, and have gotten no response. My question is, what kind of muffler do I need to run on this thing? Chris
Chris, we used to run NRP years ago. They custom made us some tail sections that would bolt to the Tdi front pipe and mount to all the NAS pick up points on the chassis. However since NRP changed hands or somthing (don't really know what happened there) we just use SS pipe that we put together here. So I don't know if the guys at NRP now would even know what we used to use.
As for mufflers, I agree with Buckon37, forget them or run a small straight through silencer. Whatever you put on make sure when you hold it up you can look right through it to the other end, otherwise you will get higher EGTs when you run hard. In my own rig I run a cat and a small silencer. I personally can not tell a noise difference in the noise from my truck on basically no muffler and when it had a V8 type of muffler (don't run one of those by the way, too restrictive).

Oh man... I just read this was a WAY old thread. Oh well, I'll leave the popst anyway. Sorry for the old news.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Mike,
Not old news! All very valuable to me as I am facing this exhaust thing right now...
George
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:14 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Cbass - thanks for the offer, but my request was back from my pre-diesel days - more than 2 years ago...
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Cbass - thanks for the offer, but my request was back from my pre-diesel days - more than 2 years ago...
Haha yeah, I guess it would help if I looked at the post dates!
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, who sells a small straight through silencer? I need one..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, 90, d90, exhaust, nas, tdi