NAS D-90 '95 Radiator cap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 8th, 2013, 12:53 AM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

NAS D-90 '95 Radiator cap

Today I was futzing around with fixing little things under my hood and would you know it I manager to brake something instead of fixing them!

I was replacing the windshield washer pump and nonexistant internal monolog said to my brain "check the radiator fluid". DUMB!

Crack went the cap, spring went one direction, brass the other direction, and a rubber something a third direction! So I patted myself on the back and sat on the couch.

Now it's 9 something PM PST and there is one AutoZone open till 10pm. They said that they dont have anything listed for this cap.

On my D-90 its more of a reservoir cap, but still they said they dont have anything listed in there system. Is the cap special or can I get any radiator cap that is listed 15 PSI (thats what it says on the old one) that fits?

Also how do I fill the system? I have not flushed the system yet to date and I have only filled fluids on old old american cars and new japanese cars. I'm reading about overhearting and problems with air getting trapped. Anything I should know??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
I just had a similar issue. Local auto stores had nothing. Just ordered a new cap from Atlantic British. I think it was like $4

Fill your radiator through the small cap on the top left hand side of the radiator. Fill your overflow tank if needed as well.
Old March 8th, 2013, 04:47 PM
petminded
David

Well the cap still covers but the spring and preasure part is gone. Can i drive it like this?

------ Follow up post added March 8th, 2013 01:51 PM ------

And what abt a universal cap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2013, 05:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If it is not too hot you can drive like that. You will lose some fluid as you go. Wal mart had a cap that fit made by stant. It is a pretty common cap.
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:01 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
You can def get this cap at the local parts house maybe like a 7lb radiator cap. You can search it'll show up.,,
Old March 9th, 2013, 02:21 AM
petminded
David

I purchased one tonight for $5. The old cap says 15psi on it. The best match they had was a 16psi.

Now as for filling the cooling system: the plug on the radiator looks like a big screw that some one glued in place. After i open it and fill it will i need to 'reglue' it in place? and what is this mistery clue? could it be a horriably disfigured gasket (as disfigured as my spelling)?
Old March 9th, 2013, 02:48 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is a plastic plug. It should be a slot in the top and a six point bolt head looking thing of about 19mm. No glue. Ideally, you should replace with brass. There is one there and one on top of the valve cover area on the passenger side. They tend to break.

Take both out, fill rad, squeeze top rad hose to pump fluid around. Fill rad again. Put cap on rad. Fill valve cover fill. Pump top hose some more. Top up. Put cap on. Overfill the overflow tank. Squeeze top hose. Run truck with cap off over flow until thermostat opens. Do some more hose pumping. Jack up the front of the truck. Kill three chickens. Put the cap on, drive around quite a bit. Let cool. Check level in overflow. Done. :-)
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:55 AM
petminded
David

Thanks! Ill do that. Not sure about the other plug. Ill look for that. Do I cook the chickens on the engine or are they needed for the Land Rover God's good blessing?
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:05 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I believe that I used a 1/2" pipe thread plug on the valve cover stand pipe when I broke the plastic plug. I was in a bind when I did this, it fits well with a small amount of pipe tape. I am betting you will break that plastic fill plug. My fix is ghetto but it has been working just fine for 3 years..

Just pour some 90wt on your driveway, that will satisfy the rover gods.
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:27 PM
petminded
David

Update. Found a generic cap at the local auto parts store. Been a fedw months now and all is good.
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:30 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Good to see you worked it out.
Definitely change over the 2 plastic caps to brass (top result -> http://search.cartserver.com/search/...+plug&go=GO%21, you'll need the rubber o-ring for these too) and keep a spare overflow cap in your truck. I've found that these can only be tightened so many times before they strip and then won't hold pressure...
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:47 PM
petminded
David

I beleive what i have is brass. It all looks so old ill have 2 take a utility knife to it and see. Is the o-ring just standard? Home Depot sells something that i assume would work.

As for the overflow cap, thats what i just replaced with a generic. Is that what you said breaks?
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
I beleive what i have is brass. It all looks so old ill have 2 take a utility knife to it and see. Is the o-ring just standard? Home Depot sells something that i assume would work.

As for the overflow cap, thats what i just replaced with a generic. Is that what you said breaks?
I wasn't able to source the overflow cap from a non-rover specific retailer (I got mine from Atlantic British). But yes, those threads seem to only have a few "tightens" on them before they don't grab anymore.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 95, d-90, nas, radiator