NAS D-110 Heated Winshield Blows Fuses - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 29th, 2006, 11:36 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Question NAS D-110 Heated Winshield Blows Fuses

Gentlemen and Ladies,

My NAS D-110 heated windshield cracked from a stone chip recently and I had it replaced with a Genuine OE item. Prior to the glass replacement it did not appear to work.

I tried it once, since the replacement, and blew a fuse. Yesterday I checked the wiring connections at the top three ribbon connductor strips and it appeared that the source wires were correct: power supply (middle ribbon) and ground (left and right ribbons). A voltmeter showed +11 volts (or so) on the center supply line. The ohmmeter showed 9 ohms resistance on either left or right side from the center conductor.

I replaced the fuse. I pushed it again and got a heartwarming click behind the dash. The internal lamp lit briefly but a relay or temperature sense device kept it from staying on. I thought that was because it was too warm during the day for it to activate.

Tonight I tried it when the glass was cool and had a little condensation on it. The first several times I pushed the switch without the engine on; the switch lit and then went out quickly as the relay (?) kept cutting out. Then I turned the engine on; when I activated the switch it blew the fuse again.

It appears that there is a short somewhere, perhaps in the relay portion of the wiring. It appears to happen only when the engine is on.

Any ideas from the bright folks on the forum?

Dennis Yard
San Diego (LR Club of San Diego)
1993 D-110
1995 Disco I
2002 Freelander
2004 Disco II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Might also be a problem in the control box for the front heating element. not 100% sure where it is located though.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:10 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The heated screen in a 110 is wired through an oil pressure switch, so the engine has to be running, otherwise the relay will drop out after a few seconds.

The wiring for the set up is that the RH ribbon is the power input, the middle and the LH ones are grounds. So wired the way you have it you are dead shorting the system and therefore blowing the fuse.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2006, 10:38 AM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Mike and Hans,

Thank you for the quick replies. I will re-investigate the wiring to the ribbon conductors and see what's up with that.

This is good info......

Dennis
Old November 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Mike and Hans,

A re-check of the windshield supply wiring confirmed my earlier measurements of +12 V on the center tab and grounds on the left and right tabs. This is with key on but no engine on.

I also measured 6 ohms or so from the center windshield tab to either left or right tabs (all disconnected from the wiring loom).

I turned the engine on and connected center tab to +supply voltage and then one outboard tab at a time. I got +12 V from center to each outboard tab. The fuse did not blow and the window warmed up. I left the tabs and connectors dangling. I ran the engine for a few minutes with the windshield switch on.

Tomorrow AM I will turn it on again and see if the fuse lasts. If so, then will push the wiring back under the headliner and see if that causes a blown fuse.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I wonder why my wiring is contrary to Mike's info?

Well in any case lets see what real world brings...

Dennis
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Dennis, don't feel to bad. The wiring in my main fuse box, under the hood, doesn't match up with the wiring diagrams from Land Rover either. The 30amp socket had the 60amp wiring. The 60amp socket had the 30amp wiring. That was fun to figure out, stuck on the side of the road.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:50 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Well gang,

Real world is that the I started the engine and turned the windshield heater switch on this morning. The screen started getting warm, but the fuse blew a couple of minutes into the warmup. So I still have "issues".

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of As The Fuse Blows.

Dennis Yard
Old November 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The wiring on an NAS 110 can be varied (you should see the differences in their tail harnesses from one to another). The majority of them have an orange and slate wire with 2 grounds to power the windscreen. Yours might be the other type that has the grey wire for power and 2 grounds.
The relay and timer for the unit is behind the RH dash (you have to remove the grey dash panel for access) but check that a screw didn't go through one of the wires on the RH inetrior windscreen trim or something.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, d-110, nas