NAS 90 vs. NAS 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2012, 02:21 AM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

NAS 90 vs. NAS 110

I am looking for some advice from some people that have owned a NAS 90 and NAS 110. I currently own a 1997 NAS 90 SW and I love it. Its my daily driver and it was and still is my dream car. But I find myself looking at NAS 110's more and more. I am considering selling my 90 and buying the 110. What I am looking for is some pros and cons of each model from people that have actually owned both. I know Barry has owned both and sold off his 110 a couple years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Fundamental part of the equation is if you have a kids or not. How many people are you looking to carry?

What drove my decision was that I have 2 kids that were getting to the age that the rear seat in the 90 really does not work. I converted the jumps to a bench seat in the 90 SW. That helped but the seat back was still lower than I would have liked. I considered the lock and folds but the lack of the rear cage in the 90 SW was still an issue. If I had an internal cage made up or went to a full SD cage, they would still have to crawl over the center console to get in. Conclusion: I needed a 110 with a full cage and therefore a NAS.

The only downside for me on the 110 is that it is a beast. It really is big. I am mostly driving mine around town and the 90 is pretty manageable were the ass on the 110 you have to get use to. But I do love it.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I have both and use the 90 off road and the 110 on road. The 110DC has a great ride and is a blast to drive. The 90 is also great fun to drive but I like the size and the approach and departure angles much better off road. Of course a 100 inch wheel base would be better but....
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2012, 11:48 AM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

I have 2 boys that are 9 and 6 and a newborn daughter that is 4 months. We have an LR4 for getting the family around but with my car being the 90 its pretty much out of the question that we ever take it anywhere. The boys like riding in it but they are big kids now and in a couple years will out grow the back.

Another thing that concerns me is that my 90 is a pretty slow vehicle with not a lot of power. A 110 is longer and heavier with a less powerful engine. For those that drive a 110, what is the power and speed like? I also really like the automatic transmission on my 90, it would be hard to give that up.
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
My 110 is a DD that not only has to work for overland travel but also meet carpooling requirements with my 2 daughters but also 2 other kids when required ( all in boosters). I'll post my solution later today. Put flying kites with kids in 110 today!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:44 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
My 110 is a DD that not only has to work for overland travel but also meet carpooling requirements with my 2 daughters but also 2 other kids when required ( all in boosters). I'll post my solution later today. Put flying kites with kids in 110 today!
I've owned Series, Range Rovers, Discoveries and now have a NAS D110. I also have a 10 yr old and a Cubscout Pack.

My 110 is my daily driver. It is a big truck, but I think it drives better than my Disco II did and is more comfortable. With the cage and basket most parking garages are off limits (including mine at work) and that is a pain.

It's not a minivan, but I find it works for 95% of what I need to do.
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I went from a 90 to a 110 purely for the extra space for kids and gear and I haven't looked back. The only drawback off road can be the longer wheelbase on tight trails, but I manage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
I know many will not like this but I converted my NAS to a Auto ZF. Dave at Ashcroft set me up with all the parts and proper torque converter. The center console he sells is a perfect fit and equal or better construct than the 97 LR center console. The 3.9 has a bit less power than the 97 4.0 but not much. Maybe someday I can upgrade to a 4.6. The point is you will not outgrow the 110.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:21 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

NAS 110s are the coolest shit around. Emphasis on shit. I bought one and you can find all the posts about it on here. I never really wanted one but the opportunity was there and I couldn't pass on it. Here are a couple of things I noticed in the year or so of ownership:

1. Truck is awesome looking with the cage and what not but having a cage like that on a truck can be a nightmare. I bought a southern cali truck and it still had rust issues and water leaks where the cage passed thru the body. Removing the cage and reinstalling it sucks. I hear people say they must have the cage for the safety of their family. I disagree. It is nice to have and nice to know in a roll over the truck will not crush but lets be realistic. How often are people rolling these trucks? Is it anymore than any other car? There are tons of defenders all over the world yet only a tiny number have the cage. I think people in the USA are hung up on it because that's how they came new. If you actually get in a car accident the cage isn't going to do anything for a side impact.
2. The rear seat is the equivalent of a lawn chair. If you are so hung up on safety of your family, forget the cage, yank the rear seat and replace it with a puma back seat (puma seat has a high back and is more like a real car seat)
3. These trucks are the oldest American Defenders. With that the majority of them are beat. One of the main reasons I sold my truck is the fact that it was constantly breaking. In the year I had it I dropped 20k in repairs. The crazy thing about that is my truck wasn't badly neglected. It had a ton of service since new.
4. Drum brakes in the back. Easy fix but with all the weight in the 110, it is definitely crazy the first time you drive one. Response time sucks.
5. 110 3.9 drivetrain is slow and typically has slop. I would say an auto conversion is actually good in one of these trucks as it helps with the slop.
6. The size is awesome if you want to haul crap around. You literally can put anything in one of these. With that said, don't think of this is a family car. The rear seat is great for kids out of booster seats but not quite adults. Anyone who is 5'7 or taller is cramped in one of these trucks. This is regardless of lawnchair or puma seats.
7. With the size of a 110 it is a bit much for daily use, especially in traffic. I live in the traffic capital of California so it got annoying to drive. I drive my 90 daily and love it in traffic because it is short and quick. The 110 like any big car takes more thought.

If you have a ton of money, buy a NAS 110 that is super clean and have it as a toy. If you want to buy a 110 to really use I say get a ROW truck and build the truck that you want.

When I got my truck it was cheap. Now it seems impossible to find them cheap so if you have a budget you might end up with a crap one. I recently saw one that sold for 45k and I was shocked at what crap it was.

With that said I still love the look of NAS 110s. I love how I set mine up and actually miss having it. I just don't miss paying for it.
Old November 17th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
20K just in repairs? Did you have the dealership do everything? You could buy a brand new powertrain for that.

Old November 17th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

The 110 version looks in my opinion way cooler then the 90. And the 110 holds its value better then the 90.
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
20K just in repairs? Did you have the dealership do everything? You could buy a brand new powertrain for that.
No dealer work. I know it sounds absurd but I did the following:

Stainless Bolts and cage bolts (MudUK)
Trailhead Oil Lines
Brass Radiator Plugs
Hinges Replaced with TD5 ones
Driver's door lock trim
Seat Cushions
Matt/tunnel cover - td5
Convex Mirrors
Swivel Housing Grease
Ball Joint repair
Door Seals
Grill/Internal Cage/Misc bolts
Rubber hood stops
Cable Release for Hood
Rear Hub Caps
Passenger Hub Seal Replacement
Rear Rubber Mats
Rear Hinge Bolts
Touch Up Paint
Transmission Flush
Rubber Mats -Front and Middle
Dynamat - doors, floor, roof
Mantec Tire Carrier
A/C Switch Replacement
Bonnet bushings
Bonnet Latch
Door casing Fasteners
Wing Intake Vent Left
Interior green bulbs (2)
Interior amber bulbs (2)
Interior red bulbs (4)
Repair/Weld for rear door
Heater Resiter Switch
AC Relay
Power Steering Hoses
Vacuum Hoses
Vacuum motors
Bulbs for clock
Windshield seal
Roll Cage Powder and dent repair
Engine Rebuild
Wheel Powder Coat
Wheel dent removal
Seat Box Cover -TD5
Radio - Original
AC Repair R134
Tires
Winch Fairlead and new cable
Silblade wipers
wiper arms (2)
wiper drums (2)
wiper nut
torsion bar drivers door
nut plate for rear door
rivets (22)
rubber for clutch
second row kick cover
antenna
lower heat vent
Lug Nuts
Kick Panels
Rear Brakes
New belts
Window cross seals
Window Tint
Door Sil Repair (remove seals) and Paint
Crossmember Repair and Paint
Headliner Replacement
Interior Headliner Lights
Drop Arm - Steering
Tuffy Console
Replacement Grill Surround - plus paint
Transfer Case Input Gear Replacement
HD Springs
Bilstein Shocks
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:55 PM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
They're really not as bad as some people describe them. If you understand what you're getting yourself into and you allocate your capital in a smart and strategic manner, then the car will return the favor by being moderately reliable. Don't spend 20k fixing things like dented steel wheels, interior dome lights and windshield wipers. In the end, if you're passionate about the brand you'll forgive whatever the car throws at you.
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:08 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruti
They're really not as bad as some people describe them. If you understand what you're getting yourself into and you allocate your capital in a smart and strategic manner, then the car will return the favor by being moderately reliable. Don't spend 20k fixing things like dented steel wheels, interior dome lights and windshield wipers. In the end, if you're passionate about the brand you'll forgive whatever the car throws at you.
I'm just pointing out the issues I corrected in one year. You can fix whatever you want obviously. I just pointing out that these trucks are old and crap breaks or is broken at this point.

As for fixing dented wheels, I wanted them straight pre powdercoat and they are still not easy to balance.

The majority of the 20k was on big items like the engine rebuild etc. Regardless I wouldn't want a 60k truck with broken wipers and a headliner touching my head but to each their own.

------ Follow up post added November 17th, 2012 09:09 PM ------

Also until you own one its hard for anyone to comment.
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:31 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Guessing the door sill repair was a sizable chuck of that total. Do you mind sharing what that was?
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
My 110 feels like a compact car compared to my Nissan Titan. I have a hard time parking the Titan in most lots but the 110 has a much better turning radius and is quite a bit narrower

There have been a couple of times on the trail where I had to do a bit of maneuvering to get around a tight spot where a 90 went through easily. There have also been spots where the 90 and discos struggled and I got through without a problem.

Every day and every situation could probably benefit from a different truck. I would say pick the one that works best a majority of the time and you will be happy.
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
You would be amazed in you go on an NLX trip how drive skill impacts what you can do with a 110. I've seen them fit a 110 through some unbelievably narrow and tight spaces in the jungle.

Old November 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift
Guessing the door sill repair was a sizable chuck of that total. Do you mind sharing what that was?
Actually this was all done by me. I bought adopt weld drill bit and I removed the old sill covers. I then used a grinder to fix the rust. I had to use bondo to smooth it all out. If I had to do it again I would have a shop do it.
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:55 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Go to the 110. If you are single with a GF and dog......then fine. If not you need the 110.

The 110 is safer (relatively), ie longer wheelbase and heavier. For those same reasons it will be more "comfortable (relative term). Also will drive more like a pig for those same reasons.

Even though it is long, it is no longer than most other 4 door full size SUV's. What really make it nice is that it is relatively "narrow" compared to the others.

I've had/have them all, ie D90, 110, Denali, DenaliXL.........have 3 boys and a dog (and a wife).........the 110 is our favorite truck (for trips under 1.5 hours).

Agree with Barry on doors. Also agree that you will likely not be happy with NAS unless you have $$$ to do it right, ie chassis exchange, etc. Get ROW and better yet "recent" ROW. Best results for the money.
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:15 AM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

Like many above I have a 1997 d90 and bought a NAS110. I talked to Barry about it as well, all his points are correct, but so are all the other positive points. In the end I am so happy I got the 110. I don't mind the extra weight and size, it is way smoother and definitely more capable of carrying a lot of gear and the family. I have had 8 passengers at times.
The long wheel base makes for a smoother ride.
Definitely I noticed the quality issues as compared to my 97, but I still like to drive the 110 more.
Watching my 4 yr old climb up into the back is always a good laugh too. After I removed the rusted out running boards...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 90, nas, nas 110