NAS 90 ST to a import 110? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 20th, 2012, 02:28 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
NAS 90 ST to a import 110?

I am still very much in the preliminary stages but have been tossing the idea around of going to a 110.

Long version:

Main reasons being is I have 3 growing kids (youngest will be 7 soon) and the 90 is getting on the tight side when we are all together. And with the 3 kids, it's usually used to hit the beach with surfboards or to sports like soccer/lax/etc so there is the extra stuff that comes along too.

Another reason is there are quite a few NAS 90's in the area. And a shit ton of 4 door Jeeps. I'd like to have something a little unique but have something that works as well.

Plan if I go thru with it:

1. Bring the 90 back to stock - swap out the Toy axle, pull the winch and bumper, pull wheels/tires, fix the front fenders, redo the stereo, etc and get it to a clean and tight state to sale - and hopefully sell.
2. Find a 110 - I am almost thinking one of the ex-MOD's or something lower cost/needs some love as I'd like to build one up how I want it.
3. Get a galvy frame - add my Toy axles, RovingTracks hardware, Fox shocks and get it to a rolling chassis and build it up off that.
4. If a 3 door - then look to get one a doublecabs from SafariHP
5. Regardless of configuration - I'd like to get a cage
6. Make sure the bulkhead is solid - maybe galvy it or waxoyl the hell out of it
5. Build it up clean as I can but not really concerned about body panels (I actually think a faded green with white county stripes would be treats).

Concerns:

1. I've got the NAS 90 pretty close to where I like it. Still need to do the front axle but last time I was at Rausch I thought it did pretty well. And it drives down the hi-way and locally well (save for the f***ing ignition issues). Worried that going 110 might be too long off road and not as nimble.
2. Running 35's on a 110. Was worried about going 35's on the 90 but it has been good. With the v8 and 4.11's it hasn't been an issue and they are part of the reason the truck did well off road last time. How would a 200tdi 110 with 4.11's and 35's work?
3. Diesel - If I could go up to 20 MPG that would be great and from what I've heard they are simple as hell to work on. But are they too noisy and smelly?
4. Doublecab or SW? I have to say the double/crew cabs look pretty good. Like ST 90's they might actually look right with 35's. I was thinking the shortboards could go in the back bed and longboards up top. Bikes could do the same.

Short version:

Want to go from NAS 90 ST to 110 - build it up on my own with galvy frame, diesel, and LHD - maybe doublecab or SW - will use my existing off road gear - winch/bumper/axles/wheels/tires. Want to keep it close to the money I can get from selling the 90

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2012, 02:47 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Get an import 110. PM sent.
Old August 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
How about an option c) If you have a decent NAS D90, and it sounds like you do, maybe one of the dealers on the vendors page could be interested in a trade of your NAS D90 for an import 110 of about the same value. It should be possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2012, 03:12 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Option B) get a cheap D1 and keep your 90.

-Jeff
It crossed my mind after seeing that RRC that Crown had for sale and then seeing RovingBeatle has a 5spd Disco for sale now... But wife would kill me if there were any more rigs in the driveway!

------ Follow up post added August 20th, 2012 03:13 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Get an import 110. PM sent.
Sent one back - thank you very much!

------ Follow up post added August 20th, 2012 03:15 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleger View Post
How about an option c) If you have a decent NAS D90, and it sounds like you do, maybe one of the dealers on the vendors page could be interested in a trade of your NAS D90 for an import 110 of about the same value. It should be possible.
Good option - will keep that in mind as I get closer to prepping it.
Old August 20th, 2012, 03:18 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
just food for thought. A couple weeks ago I was following a very nicely built 110 (owner is very a experienced driver as well) on these trails here in Virginia and he/we had a long day getting him up and over and around what I consider the intermediate basics. east coast trails are mighty tight for 110's and it was a good thing we had chain saws. This was an NAS110 so it had the full cage and a good thing too. He was brushing up against and sliding against everything out there. The story is the 110 should provide more room for lax sticks and small kids (anything over 5'2" and if feels like the back seat passengers in the middle are breathing down your neck) but it may come some cost in off road performance down the road.
Old August 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Why not build a D110?
Use your D90's front end and drive train, buy a new galvy D110 frame and buy the rest behind the bulkhead. Safari Rover would be a good resource.
Sell the D90 tub and roll bar help fund.

Good luck,

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
1of40 - thanks - I thought there would be a difference but was thinking a 110 would be closer to a Disco1. One thing I have noticed with the 110 is how much rear overhang they have. I took off my NAS bumper to help on trail after dragging it on some stuff in MA years ago.

There is a pretty ratty 109 SW in town - maybe a 100" hybrid built off a Disco chassis would be the move?

------ Follow up post added August 20th, 2012 08:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Why not build a D110?
Use your D90's front end and drive train, buy a new galvy D110 frame and buy the rest behind the bulkhead. Safari Rover would be a good resource.
Sell the D90 tub and roll bar help fund.

Good luck,

Cheers...
I briefly thought of that but quickly figured it would take about $5k to do and a big part of me would hate breaking up a good NAS ST. Might want to go diesel as well. But if my frame was rusty or the motor blown, or body bent up bad I think its a decent option. But like the comments - please keep them coming!
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The rear overhang on the 110 is a bit long especially compared to the 90's. You will get more room with the 110 but will give up some off road capability. Large tires and diesels are great off road but not the best on Road combination in the heaver 110's in the hill country. If you have the time it is great to build your own truck but make a good budget, it can get expensive.
Old August 20th, 2012, 10:01 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Don
When I lost my NAS D90 I thought about going to a 110. Almost did it but realized I wanted a smaller rig to wheel.

Ended up buying a diesel rhd 90 soft top and a 06 100 series land cruiser for "family" wheeling.
Kinda two for the price of one

Keep your NAS 90 as it is almost the way you want it. Nothing sweeter than a NAS D90 soft top!

G
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

Go for the 110! you get loads of space and you drive in style
And i think it drives better on the high way to. Not as bumpy.
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:10 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Don...my $0.02 is keep the 90 and add a 110 if at all possible. They each serve a distinct purpose, and I did the reverse - 110 before the 90. I experienced what Clay alluded too, though realistically the 110 only saw some mild offroad use. So instead of "building up" the 110 I did some mild stuff to it, and it serves as the family troop wagon for vacations/road trips/cruising around town (and does a great job, not to mention 24-25mpg). It is a tad "noisy", but compared to a NAS ST it's like riding in a silent electric car . I'm not joking. And the 110 wheelbase has some great highway manners, absolutely.

Then the 90 - since as you said is "almost where you want it" - can remain a trail rig / fun vehicle. Being in a 90 (especially ST) is SO much more nimble and fun to wheel than a 110.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

or.. 2cents - get an ROW 110 with no motor or trans (or 300tdi and trans to sell) and go with Nick Markiws GM Gen 4 coversion and you will have your higher mpgs with 300 hps. You should outfit the exo cage overseas prior to import. Purely a high level thought.

I would keep the 90 if you got it to where you want it as I am sure that has been a painful process.
Does anyone know if Exmor Lock and folds will fit in the 90 tub? 2 forward and 2 rear?
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it although I think I might be more confused now then ever :D

I am going to research it a bit more and look at a 110 or 2 and see what they are like in person in terms of room and driving. I would love the option of having both a 90 and 110 but my wife wouldn't be too keen on that and I don't blame her - we have a Chevy Suburban and she has a L322 Rangie.

Another thing I was thinking was to reconfigure the rear of the 90 (for the 3rd time) and put in a rear facing bench. It might be more comfortable for the kids and I'll rig a quick release so I can take it out when I need the room. I can count the time all 5 of us have been in the 90 at once on one hand so the 3 jumpers aren't totally needed.

I was also thinking how a 110 chassis with a 90 cross member would work. Mod a 90 tub and have a 4 door rig with minimal overhang. Do something with softtop capabilities - you all are right a ST is awesome. I would love to build something up to put all the 4 door Jeep guys to shame!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I'd get a nice 110 with a 200tdi or 300tdi, or if you are brave a td5. And build it up. But it sounds like you already have 2 cars for the family to ride around in. Lacrosse sticks aren't really that big, you could, unless your kids are D or long pole middies, and even so just put them on the roof or take the suburban.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 90, import, nas