NAS 90 rear Diff - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 28th, 2005, 07:30 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

NAS 90 rear Diff

Can some one tell me if the rear diff in a NAS 90 is a 2pin or the 4pin. I believe the P38 uses a 4 pin rear and I'm trying to find other LR models that use it.
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Mine had 2, and they suck cause they break.
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:08 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

That's what I'm worried about.

I've been told that the four pin Rover diff is a direct swap for the 2 pin, so I'm thinking of doing a swap on the front axle.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used front diff?
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Why not put a limited slip up front?
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

4 pins break too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Tdi Lurker
Big Gord
1971 IIA 88

I happen to have an extra 4 pin diff.was taken out to put the ARB in....its 24 spline
Old January 29th, 2005, 04:14 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I'm hoping that with 33" tires and a 200TDI that a 4 pin will be enough. I'm looking more for better reliabilty with commonly available parts than Bling factor.

I thought about putting a locker in but I don't think I'd use it much on this truck. This is my daily driver that I'm building up more as an expedition style truck. I've tried other types of trucks with limited slips in the front and have never liked the way they felt at highway speeds. I'll probably put a locker in the rear Salisbury axle but leave the front open.

Hey Gord. Is that an LR one you have? I'm not looking to buy just yet but I'll keep it mind. I have to fix my fuel injector pump and alternator first now.
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Tdi Lurker
Big Gord
1971 IIA 88

i took it out of the Land Rover diff myself and put the ARB back in to replace it.....seems to be in very good condition..it was behind a 2.5 n/a diesel .......in fact i have 2 of them....i also have a couple regular Land Rover open diffs and one Salisbury diff...all replaced with ARBs
Old January 29th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
4 pins break too.
Have you seen a Rover HD 4 pinion diff (as used is some early 90s) break?? I would think the shaft or R&P would go long before the diff. They are a very robust looking diff.

Don't forget to budget for aftermarket inner halfshafts when you switch to the 4 pinion. I'd price a Truetrac also. There are no downsides and it will be as strong as the HD diff.
Old January 30th, 2005, 02:47 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

The stock front diff will be fine for what you have in mind Mike. If you want a good look at both the stock and the HD 90 unit I have both here so when you come out you can have a look at them.
Old January 30th, 2005, 01:19 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

That would be great Andrew. Yes I will look at replacing the shafts as well. I was thinking about the Maxi drives or GBR's but I'll have to see what else is available. I like the idea of having stronger than what I'll need, I don't want to spend the time doing it and then have to upgrade again later.
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
GBR shafts are made by Maxi-Drive. The only other decent option (available here) is Rovertracks . Cheaper and a little weaker, but should still be stronger than the CVs.
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Tdi Lurker
Big Gord
1971 IIA 88

ya i have the maxi drive axles ( which i supply) along with the Good CVs which you should allready have in your 110
Old January 30th, 2005, 11:21 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Thanks for that, I'll check into the Rovertracs.

Yea, I have the 1-ton CV's.
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:03 AM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

did your truck have 10 spline stuff up front originally?
Old January 31st, 2005, 11:41 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Yes. I am still running the 10 spline front end right now but I bought a set of newer axles from a 95 ex-mod 110 with discs on the rear and 24 spline up front. I also got a set of vented discs to put on the front.
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler110
Yea, I have the 1-ton CV's.
I might be a little wary of calling them 1 ton... They are much better than the newer style, but people are still breaking them with stock Rovers. If you leave the front diff open, you will probably be fine. Just keep in mind that after changing to aftermarket inner shafts and a 4 pinion diff, the CVs will be the weak link. there will hopefully be a relatively "cheap" option available one of these days that will be basicvally unbreakable.

We just put a 4 pinion into a KeithD's 90 front axle. No problems and he has been running it for a few months now.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler110
Yes. I am still running the 10 spline front end right now but I bought a set of newer axles from a 95 ex-mod 110 with discs on the rear and 24 spline up front. I also got a set of vented discs to put on the front.
What are you doing with the newer front axle? The newer axles have a few "downgrades" from the older units.

1) Inner shafts are tiny where they go into the CV.
2) Hubs are narrower and hub bearings are closer together.

There really are no positives to changing to the later axle, it is not nearly as good a design.

The newer rear axles have a really bad seal set-up which you should revise. The halfshafts are sealed from the axle casing. This causes the outer splines to run dry. They are well known to wear out quickly.

I'm not sure if you discussed it, but the weak point in your setup at the moment is the rear halfshafts. I would almost guarantee they will be the first things to break. If it were me, I would be upgrading them first, then worry about the front.
Old January 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I do use the term 1-ton loosely. I've been following the threads on pirate and here waiting for that upgrade.

That's good to know about the front axle, it came with the newer disc rear Salisbury that I wanted, but I guess I'll look at rebuilding the one I'm using right now instead. I'm assuming that I can mount the vented front disc brakes on either swivel set up.

I hadn't mentioned the rear because I was pretty much set in what I was going to do. I want to put a locker in, either a KAM cable operated or an ARB, and upgrade the shafts.

This is the nice thing about the situation I'm in, I have extras of pretty much evrything in the driveline so I can pick all your brains, decide what to do and then rebuild with out taking the truck off the road.
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:29 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, Give Keith at www.rovertracks.com a call. He has great prices on rear HD axles and front axle setups too. You cant go wrong. Here is a pic of my rovertracks rear axles and I had them zinc plated to help with surface rust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00614.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2408  
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:45 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Mike,

CAn you link me to some information about the KAM locker for the Salisbury?

THanks,

Doug W.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, nas