NAS 90 rear Diff - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 31st, 2005, 08:11 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Here you go Doug. They list a price for the Salisbury at the bottom of the page.

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~kamdiffs/...ble%20Vehicles

Red, I was looking at the swivels I have and the hubs and I think I see what you are saying about the newer axle, the entire hub assmbly looks to be shorter on the newer one. Do you know off hand if the newer swivel can be used with the older stub axle and hub assembly. I'd like to use the newer LHD swivels on an older RHD axle that is in much better condition.
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2005, 09:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I don't know if that swap will work. You'd have to get them side by each to see if the swivel and inwards is the same dimensionally.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:35 PM
rolaro
Jan-Dirk Roodbol

Whistler110,

I'am on the point also to change to a Salisbury rear axle with discs as well as vented front discs.
You as well as Red 90 gave me some solutions some weeks ago on this forum.( thanks for that)
After further infomation on other forums in the uk, they inform me, also to install a PRCV pressure regulating control valve or an adjustable bias valve. Futher it is also better to change to a 300TDi servo braking system.
( if I understand well that you have an ex-mod 2.5 NA diesel 110)

cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:37 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Red, they are not a straight swap. I pulled the two set-ups apart and the swivel pin housings are machined differently; the earlier ones use the bushing at the top while the later ones use a bearing and have not been machined out to fit over the swivel.

I'm going to start another thread for the front axle as this one has gotten off topic.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Sorry, I am thinking differently of the swap.

1) Remove hub, spindle and CV/halfshaft from older axle.

2) Remove swivel hosing and swivel ball from old axle housing.

3) Bolt swivel hosing and swivel ball from newer axle to old axle housing WITHOUT the spindle and hub.

4) Remove vented rotor from new hub and put on old hub.

5) Install hub, spindle and CV/halfshaft from older axle onto the newer style swivel housing.

6) Swap newer style rotor to newer style swivel housing.

The question is, will this work. What you need to determine:

a) Is the distance from axle housing flange to spindle flange the same on both units?
b) Are the two flange patterns the same?
c) Is the location of the brake rotor the same when installed on the older hub as on the newer?

I'd just pull apart and try. Shouldn't take more than a few hours.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:18 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Thanks Red.

I guess you've seen the post on Pirate. I don't have access to a later swivel at the moment and I thought I would get some feedback before ordering them, they will most likely take some time and money to get.

The earlier stub axle bolts up to the later Pin Housing but you should keep the bolts with the housing as they seem to be different threads, the later one seems to be metric.

I agree with what needs to be measured out, the pin housings seem to be the same measurements just different machining. One other thing I'm not too sure about is the CV clearance inside the swivel and the Brass bushing/ring inside the Stub axle but by the replies on Pirate it all seems OK, atleast close enough to make it worth ordering the swivels.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Why not just get an older swivel housing from a wrecker? Seems easier and one of the local guys must have one.

Why are you swapping sides?? The RHD is nicer. More room for the driver.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

My truck is LHD already and I have another use for the extra axle so needed two LHDs. Plus if I did build a RHD my wife would probably steal it from me, she's from the UK and prefers RHD.

Getting older swivel pin housings is still an option but I like the idea of the stronger two pin bearing swivels and if it could work I have the time to play with it so I'll give it a try.

I am forever tinkering with something, so if it wasn't this it might be something useful and that would feel too much like work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, nas