NAS 110 - The Signal Conditioner - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 13th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Daniel1
Daniel
1984 D110

NAS 110 - The Signal Conditioner

Found this under my dash. Has any NAS 110 owner removed this conditioner for an accurate reading?

"The Signal Conditioner: (1993 NAS 110 only)

The engine temperature gauge in your 1993 NAS Defender 110 is not telling you the truth. This is important because most Rover V8s will last a good long time, unless they develop coolant or overheating issues, so you need to know your coolant temperature and keep an eye on it. Behind the dash of every NAS Defender 110 is what is called a "signal conditioner" or "stabilizer." It is Land Rover part #AMR2401."1

1. http://www.eastcoastrover.com/signalconditioner.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2014, 06:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I did, but I have not run the truck since. I bought a 94 NAS temp gauge to swap in as supposedly that is required too. I need to get the temp sensor too, but that can wait for a while.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:18 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Many folks just replace with a VDO guage and sender that shows the actual temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2014, 07:22 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel1 View Post
Found this under my dash. Has any NAS 110 owner removed this conditioner for an accurate reading?

"The Signal Conditioner: (1993 NAS 110 only)

The engine temperature gauge in your 1993 NAS Defender 110 is not telling you the truth. This is important because most Rover V8s will last a good long time, unless they develop coolant or overheating issues, so you need to know your coolant temperature and keep an eye on it. Behind the dash of every NAS Defender 110 is what is called a "signal conditioner" or "stabilizer." It is Land Rover part #AMR2401."1

1. http://www.eastcoastrover.com/signalconditioner.html
You can take a temp reading with an infrared temp gauge (i have one). I was going to change unit I checked the temp, mine ended up being fine, this miss temp reading doesn't follow suit with all NAS 110s. Called RN and they basically said check the temp and if its fine leave it.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd10014 View Post
You can take a temp reading with an infrared temp gauge (i have one). I was going to change unit I checked the temp, mine ended up being fine, this miss temp reading doesn't follow suit with all NAS 110s. Called RN and they basically said check the temp and if its fine leave it.
So you actually overheated it? As I understand the issue, it reads a normal temp both when normal and when overheating.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:33 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
So you actually overheated it? As I understand the issue, it reads a normal temp both when normal and when overheating.
No, I read the ECR rover thread and was going to change it over for percautionary measures but decided to use an infrared temp gauge and the temp was fine and coincided with the gage.
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:09 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
No, I read the ECR rover thread and was going to change it over for percautionary measures but decided to use an infrared temp gauge and the temp was fine and coincided with the gage.
Right, but that is not the problem. The gauge reads fine (correctly) when it is normal temp. It also reads fine when it is overheating. You can't tell because of the conditioner.
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:43 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Basically it always says the temp is normal ... Even when it's boiling over, seizing the bores and warping heads.

Of all the things in a v8 defender a lying temp gauge is not what you need.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Daniel1
Daniel
1984 D110

Anyone know why the gauge needs to be swapped out for the system to be accurate? It looks like the wires are just bypassed through the conditioner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
Many folks just replace with a VDO guage and sender that shows the actual temp.
Do you know the VDO part #?

Quote:
RD - Let me borrow that infrared temp gun to see hwo accurate my gauge is.

Nevertheless even if the current temp gauge equals the actual temp which reads normal, something could go Defender down the road and the temp gauge will "say the temp is normal ... Even when it's boiling over, seizing the bores and warping heads. "...
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:25 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I understand the correct gauge to be the 94/95 NAS gauge.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:47 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
All the info on the VDO swap is in here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=2895

It's a 20 minute job and you get actual temp instead of "Hot" and "Way too Hot" from the factory setup.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, nas, nas 110, signal